SVT Forums

New FRPP HI FLOW 4V Head Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

Default New FRPP HI FLOW 4V Head Question

I amgetting ready to purchasethe Ford Racing High-Flow 4.6L DOHC 4V Mustang Cobra Cylinder Heads for my 03 Terminator. Since I am doing that, Iwant to put in the FRPP HILIFT CAM Kit.

Questions:
1. Is there anything else I need to purchase to fully assemble the heads other than the Hi Lift Cam Kit. Kit comes with 4 camshafts, high lift valve springs, intake and exhaust valves, and related hardware.

2. Best price I've seen for the bare heads is $750.00 and $1595.00 for the Cam Kit at Partsmaxx.com. Anyone know where to get them cheaper?

3. Anything else I should do while I have the blower and heads off?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New FRPP HI FLOW 4V Head Question

I would actually call up VT and see if they can cut you a set of blower cams to specs they think are appropriate for your set-up. Buying cams off the shelf is like canned tunes imo. Unless you are installing on an otherwise stock car which you aren't. My guess is you can get a better set-up for those heads and your blower custom ground with springs for around the same price and it would be more beneficial for you. Something I would atleast look into. It would make your tuner happy because his life would be easier if the cams match the set-up.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

I see your point but my caris somewhat other than stock. I'm going this way because this set up was used when FRPP built their 690 HP 03 Cobra.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=104572#9.

The only difference is I will be using a Stiegmiere Stage 5 ported Eaton w/ a 2.8 upper and #4 lower vice the 14lb Whipple they used. I know the Whipple is more efficent butfor $1100(Stiegie Stage 5 Port and Polish) vs the $4000Polished WhippleI can't beat it for now.

My set up will be:

-FRPP Hi Flow Heads
-FRPP Hi Lift Cams
-112 Eaton w/ Stiegie Stage 5 Port and Polish
-2.8 upper and #4 lower (Good for approx. 16.9psi on Eaton)
-Polished Accufab single blade and plenum
-SCT 3000 MAF
-JLT Hi Boost CAI
-#60lb injectors
-Twin Ford GT40 fuel pumps
-Bassani X Catted
-2.5 Magnaflow Catback
-SCT Dyno Tune
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I would actually call up VT and see if they can cut you a set of blower cams to specs they think are appropriate for your set-up. Buying cams off the shelf is like canned tunes imo. Unless you are installing on an otherwise stock car which you aren't. My guess is you can get a better set-up for those heads and your blower custom ground with springs for around the same price and it would be more beneficial for you. Something I would atleast look into. It would make your tuner happy because his life would be easier if the cams match the set-up.
Where have you been, VT doesn't exist anymore. [8D]
Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Fobra
Banned

i would think youd be better off just getting a shop to work over the heads you got... just my .02
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 AM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

I thought about having a shop freshen them up. The problem is,the "tick" is caused by poor coolant flow, inherent to the 03 heads,in turn causing overheating of the exhaustvalveguide area near the #7 and #8 cylinders. The ticking sound itself isthe worn valve guide allowing theexhaust valve to move. I could have the valve guides replaced but it may happen again. To my knowledge, the only way to permenantly fix this is to get the updated 04 Cobra heads that have the coolant passages revised,or replace the valve guides and go with the cooling mod (which in most cases requires you to drop the transmission), or buy new FRPP Hi Flow heads that fixes all of this.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ03SVT

Where have YOU been. Here's their new site. They are called VT Engines INC. now
http://www.vtengines.com/store.bak/

They probably declared bankruptcy or sold out to another party. Anyways this is the same place as before! Google VT engines and you'll see.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM
DOHC

ORIGINAL: torqjnky

I thought about having a shop freshen them up. The problem is,the "tick" is caused by poor coolant flow, inherent to the 03 heads,in turn causing overheating of the exhaustvalveguide area near the #7 and #8 cylinders. The ticking sound itself isthe worn valve guide allowing theexhaust valve to move. I could have the valve guides replaced but it may happen again. To my knowledge, the only way to permenantly fix this is to get the updated 04 Cobra heads that have the coolant passages revised,or replace the valve guides and go with the cooling mod (which in most cases requires you to drop the transmission), or buy new FRPP Hi Flow heads that fixes all of this.
The FRPP Heads are theFR-500 heads? If they are than dont buy them.Theyare a down grade to the stock heads. They are not ment for boosted applications, they lack the cooling capavilities. The 04 heads are the same as the 03. You want the 05 revised heads. The Tick fix. LEFT HEAD #2C5Z-6049-BAB RIGHT HEAD # 2C5Z-6049-CAB. Many people have been misled into buying the FR-500 heads by rip off or uneducated Race shops
Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 PM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DOHC
The FRPP Heads are theFR-500 heads? If they are than dont buy them.Theyare a down grade to the stock heads. They are not ment for boosted applications, they lack the cooling capavilities. The 04 heads are the same as the 03. You want the 05 revised heads. The Tick fix. LEFT HEAD #2C5Z-6049-BAB RIGHT HEAD # 2C5Z-6049-CAB. Many people have been misled into buying the FR-500 heads by rip off or uneducated Race shops
Wow, thanks for the info. I believe the FRPP heads are the FR500 heads. That's what I see on some websites offering the FRPP heads. I will look into the heads you mentioned. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ03SVT

Where have YOU been. Here's their new site. They are called VT Engines INC. now
http://www.vtengines.com/store.bak/

They probably declared bankruptcy or sold out to another party. Anyways this is the same place as before! Google VT engines and you'll see.
Not sure if you're joking or not by that link. [&:]

Quick Reply: New FRPP HI FLOW 4V Head Question