SVT Forums

ODOMETER AND TRIP METER

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
CobraKMA

Default ODOMETER AND TRIP METER

Hey guys,
I am brand new to this forum. I just purchased a 1996 Ford Mustang Cobra and the odometer and trip meter doesn't work. The speedometer and tach both work though. I purchased the Haynes repair manual but I couldn't find anything in there to discuss this. Is this a cable issue or electrical issue. I am assuming it is cable as the odometer is analog. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this?

Also, because I just bought itI have been taking my time to ensure that the last owner took care of it. So far so good but just in case I have replaced all fluids to include the oil, trans, differential fluid and coolant. Power steering and brake fluids seem fine. There is a K&N air filter that is pretty clean. Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Any suggestions?

I found out that the check engine light is due to a MASS AIR FLOW sensor that is bad. The interior and body are pretty clean considering. There doesn't appear to be any leaks and the suspension is very tight. Underneath looks great especially now that I removed the neon lights that were installed underneath.

Thanks for anyone's help,

Stan the Cobra Man

Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
My_1st_Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ODOMETER AND TRIP METER

Welcome...If you do a search you'll find a lot of useful hints and tips for things to look for and do to your car. If you got any pics post them up for all to see.

Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...light=odometer
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 PM
CobraKMA

Thanks My_1st_Stang!
This information isreally helpful and I can't wait to fix it. I got a car fax with the car and it showed that the odometer hasn't worked since 2004 but the car is so clean. I figure it has over 100k miles on it.

I can't believe I waited so long to get back in a Mustang and now a Cobra to boot! I tried downloading pictures but they are too large. I will try and figure it out and post some pictures.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM
My_1st_Stang
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the Cobra. As I've read about this odometer fix I've seen them go out as early as 50K miles. Average seems to be around 75-90K for the odometer/tripometer to go out.

Either way. If you car runs clean and isn't giving you any bad codes then you should be in good shape. Just wait till the mod bug gets ya. Look forward to the pics.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:04 PM
96CsTaNg

Hi I also have a 96 cobra and it has done the same thing. I haven't figured anything out about it. So if you do let me know. And congrats on the cobra. I love mine I got it back in september. Im still working some kinks out that the last owner left me.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
My_1st_Stang
1st Gear Member

I just followed the directions on the link and everything went fine. I installed my new gear and the odometer/tripometer both work great again.

While I was there I went ahead and replaced the stock bulbs w/LED's and it looks freegn' awesome.