SVT Forums

I Think I Have Solved the Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
steve04cobra
1st Gear Member

Default I Think I Have Solved the Shifting Issue

So after doing some research I think I have found a solution to the sticking shift problem... From what I read it was recommended to get a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster...Now looking at Steeda they have a couple of different quadrants to choose from a "Steeda Quick Release Clutch Quadrant" or "Steeda Double Hook Quadrant" any recommendations on which one I should go w/?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I Think I Have Solved the Shifting Issue

With the Steeda hardware, you must get the double hook quadrant if you get their firewall cable adjuster.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM
steve04cobra
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the quick release requires a firewall mounted clutch adjuster, so I was going to get the adjuster w/ either one, but which one should I get? Does anyone have them on theirs?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

A couple notes on the adjustable firewall adapter. I had one, and was aluminum. Once the backing-nut is tightened after the cable has been adjusted, it can damage aluminum threads (just a little is all it takes). I adjusted it several times, as I found some time later, I had a bad cable that was fraying inside. When I replaced cable, the aluminum threads were so damaged, I was not able to adjust any longer as the threads were "locked" inside themating part. If you can get a steel adjuster, I recommend one.

I ended up yanking it out and beating it into submission with a hammer [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]I then, made a new non-adjustable firewall adapter, and was happy once again

Jazzer
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
steve04cobra
1st Gear Member

I hear the Hammer is a great tool to use when things dont go your way... lol
Old 05-15-2008, 01:52 PM
BlOwNsNaKe
3rd Gear Member

So what is the best combination to have? I am also curious! [8D]
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve04cobra

Yeah, the quick release requires a firewall mounted clutch adjuster, so I was going to get the adjuster w/ either one, but which one should I get? Does anyone have them on theirs?
That's backwards. If you get the firewall adjuster, you MUST get the double hook quadrant. You don't have to get the firewall adjuster with either of them. It's just a PITA to climb under the car and adjust the cable at the transmission if you don't. The Steeda pieces are nice.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat
A couple notes on the adjustable firewall adapter. I had one, and was aluminum. Once the backing-nut is tightened after the cable has been adjusted, it can damage aluminum threads (just a little is all it takes). I adjusted it several times, as I found some time later, I had a bad cable that was fraying inside. When I replaced cable, the aluminum threads were so damaged, I was not able to adjust any longer as the threads were "locked" inside the mating part. If you can get a steel adjuster, I recommend one.

I ended up yanking it out and beating it into submission with a hammer [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] I then, made a new non-adjustable firewall adapter, and was happy once again

Jazzer
The Steeda firewall adjuster does not employ a backing nut. It uses a spring loaded locking mechanism that keeps it where you set it. You can easily turn it with one hand, but it won't back out by itself. I just installed that a couple months ago. The clutch pedal has a different feel than it had before. Not necessarily bad, just different.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sounds good, Dilireus

Initially, I thought it was backing-out and allowing slack in the clutch cable. It took a while to figure out that thecable was fraying above the quadrant, and was "stretching" and adding slack. During that time, I adjusted the firewall adapter 4 or 5 times, and hence the damaged aluminum threads and ultimately the hammerenabling a morepermanent repair [8D]

Jazzer
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Heh. The "persuader" is an all time favorite tool for car repair.

Quick Reply: I Think I Have Solved the Shifting Issue