SVT Forums

Cobra questions quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:12 AM
MustangTitan
1st Gear Member

Default Cobra questions quick!!!

Ok so here it is, im buying a new car this week. Im looking at 99, and 01 cobras. So i found this really nice 99 cobra with low mileage the other day and my friend said not to get it because ofthe hp problem it has. Now i knew they had that problem but is it still worth getting? What is the actual hp of the car without it getting fixed. How much is it to get fixed? And how can you tell if it has already been fixed?

I also found this 01 cobra, its an 01. REALLY nice car, buts its 80,000 miles kind of scares me...If i took it to a mechanic and everything was good would this be worth getting. How long, if i took car of it, would i get out of this car with its mileage?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, i just want to make the right choice so i figured i'd ask the experts....oh and my buddy just bought a 2002 SS camaro last week so im gonna have to get a cobra so i can show him whats up lol.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 AM
Hegotgame
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra questions quick!!!

Ican't say much about the hp problem, but2002 SS will beat eaither a 99 or 01 Cobra.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

ford recalled all the cobras and had them retuned. you could take it to the dealer and they can tell you if its been fixed under the recall or not. but a bolt on 99-01 cobra will beat a stock ss no problem
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM
MustangTitan
1st Gear Member

ok cool, would they charge me anything to fix it if i has not been already.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Baef
1st Gear Member

The 01 has cooler seats anyway!

The car may or may not run for a long time, I just my 01 about a month ago and couldn't be happier. It is a great car, and when the time comes I may have to get some engine work done. But I do not think that anyone could really tell you how long any particular car may last. Depends on alot of factors, how it was driven, taken care of, etc.

Mine appeared to be in great shape and it was a good price, so I got it. And I have been happy every day since.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM
MustangTitan
1st Gear Member

this is the car im talking about right here....im actualy looking at it in like an hour...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p;rdpage=thumb
Old 06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

That's a little on the high side for that many miles.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 PM
MustangTitan
1st Gear Member

yea i was thinking of talking him down to 13k...but back to the 99 cobra...if its in decent shape and has low mileage, is it still a relible car to have. even with the problem it has?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

that cobra in the autotrader ad is at a good price for everything it has done to it. a new short block with less than 10,000 miles and the trans with less than 25,000 miles not to mention the 3000+ dollars in aftermarket parts i would think twice on the offer price what hes asking is fairly reasonable and anything much lower would be an insult to him.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangTitan

yea i was thinking of talking him down to 13k...but back to the 99 cobra...if its in decent shape and has low mileage, is it still a relible car to have. even with the problem it has?
the "problem" is so minescule any way. all they did was rehone the intake manifolds. it does not effect anything other than allow more air into the engine which got them up closer to their claimd hp ratings.

Quick Reply: Cobra questions quick!!!