96 cobra headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
alexr
★★★★★

Default RE: 96 cobra headers

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

ORIGINAL: jrherald420

im not sure on the exact numbers but stock to shortys is like 5-7hp and 8-10tq but stock to long tubes would be about 12-15hp and 15-18tq. the long tubes will cost more but it will be worth it.
I would have to say this is a bit much for N/A engines on both shorties and LT's. Shorties on N/A stock applications will make only 2-3hp at most and maybe 4-5ft/lbs of torque. LT's will gain only 10hp and 15-20ft/lbs.
Now with forced induction you will see up to 5-6hp and maybe 10ft/lbs with shorties and LT's are def the way to go. They will net you 20hp and 30 or so ft/lbs of torque.

The gain will be so minimal for even the inexpensive $60 and all of the hassle and effort putting them on, it's almost a waste! I wouldn't bother even for $60. I also wouldn't even bother installing LT's on N/A Cobra's because of the hassle and expense for very little hp. There are so many other things you can do that require less work and gain more power or even same expense with just a little more work.
regardless if its "only" 10hp, thats still quite a bit for a bolt on.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes on a na car are worth quite a bit!!! And its not just peak power its over the whole range so it will really change how fast the car is. I can tell you from at least 5 instals on long tubes on cobras and a bunch of gt's. Just drop the k member and jack up the engine and life will be easy... Its a punk changing headers it just is!!!
shane
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

the best things to do to wake the car up, are full exahust (LTs, midpipe, and catback), CAI, U/D pulleys(if you want, you dont need them)

and do some gears.. depending on your driving or what you want ur application to be.. go with 4.10s or 4.30s...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Yeah im pretty sure u have to actually lift ur engine 3-5 inches to put headers on? idk i could be mistaken but the gain is hardly worth it if at all as with most small bolt ons, however ive heard good things about the JLT cold air intake but you have to take the strut off or it wont fit.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

Blah blah blah.. LTs are the way to go.. no doubt about it, and are worth it..

if you go that route, the next best thing to do is get an Xcal2 and get a good tune on your car, that will help free up some more power and just help ur car run better. But theres no need for one unless you put LTs on.

Also it might be good to delete your IMRCs and do a short runner intake. This along with a full exhaust, CAI, and gears and a Tune will really liven your car up.

so Get r done!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ÅЯđồľŀễŗ

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

ORIGINAL: jrherald420

im not sure on the exact numbers but stock to shortys is like 5-7hp and 8-10tq but stock to long tubes would be about 12-15hp and 15-18tq. the long tubes will cost more but it will be worth it.
I would have to say this is a bit much for N/A engines on both shorties and LT's. Shorties on N/A stock applications will make only 2-3hp at most and maybe 4-5ft/lbs of torque. LT's will gain only 10hp and 15-20ft/lbs.
Now with forced induction you will see up to 5-6hp and maybe 10ft/lbs with shorties and LT's are def the way to go. They will net you 20hp and 30 or so ft/lbs of torque.

The gain will be so minimal for even the inexpensive $60 and all of the hassle and effort putting them on, it's almost a waste! I wouldn't bother even for $60. I also wouldn't even bother installing LT's on N/A Cobra's because of the hassle and expense for very little hp. There are so many other things you can do that require less work and gain more power or even same expense with just a little more work.
regardless if its "only" 10hp, thats still quite a bit for a bolt on.
But it's a WHOLE LOTTA work for little gain. I went through that process and wouldn't do it again if I had to. I don't regret it now only because I am FI. When I was N/A it wasn't really worth it since I did the weirdo way and jacked the motor each side at a time and worked in my garage on my back. No way will that happen again. Most do-it-yourselfer guys have the samelimited resources as I did.
I can only reccomend dropping out the K-member. It's the only way to get it done without fuggin up your knuckls and getting it done in a reasonable time. If you could get LT's for $60 that's a different story. I really don't think you will even notice a difference with shorties! If you do, it's all mental. Butt dyno's have been proven losers most of the time
Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

Blah blah blah.. LTs are the way to go.. no doubt about it, and are worth it..

if you go that route, the next best thing to do is get an Xcal2 and get a good tune on your car, that will help free up some more power and just help ur car run better. But theres no need for one unless you put LTs on.

Also it might be good to delete your IMRCs and do a short runner intake. This along with a full exhaust, CAI, and gears and a Tune will really liven your car up.

so Get r done!
yeah i agree i would do the work for LT but not shorties
Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
limp1969
2nd Gear Member

i have shorty jba (smog legal) didnt seem to do much for power but made it sound better