SVT Forums

Performance mod suggestions 96 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
CobraKMA

Default Performance mod suggestions 96 Cobra

I am looking for ideas on increasing performance for my fairly stock 96 Cobra. The only mods that I am aware of is a K&N cold air intake and a flowmaster H pipe exhaust. What modifications do you suggest in making my Cobra increase performance.

Thanks,
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

With the 4v dont fear the gear get at least 4.10's. Looking back if I could I would get 4.56's
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
CobraKMA

What performance gain can I expect from changing out the rear differential gears? What is the difference between the 4.10 and 4.56. Are there any other modifications needed for this upgrade? Are the stock gears 3:73's?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
JTanew
1st Gear Member

the Cobra power band is high in the rpms bout 3500 what the gears do is get you up to your power band quicker so you can initially go faster and get off the line quicker...
you should tell us what you want and what kind of $$$ your rollin with then we can help more. get some good suspension mods lower it...get some good shoes for it...get a tuner for it...get some underdrive pullies. these are some easy and fairly cheap mods for your Cobra try some of these and throw some specs at us
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

stock gears for ur 96 are 3.27s i wouldn't go any higher than 4.10s if its your daily driver...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
CobraKMA

I am probably looking for what most people look for, the easiest and cheapest modifications that add the most power while still keeping it a daily driver. I don't take it to the drag strip and it certainly isn't a trailer queen. I bought it to drive it. However, my goal is the fastest 0-60 time. Right now the car is pretty fast but I am assuming that horse power is around 315-330 and I would like much more.

I would like to keep the modifications under $1000.00. I only paid $5k for it and have already put $1500 into it with a new clutch, preventative maintenance and various repairs. The body is in good shape, interior is immaculate and everything works. The paint is faded so in some cases people might think it is a piece of junk. My wife's nickname is POS (get the hint). It is truly a sleeper except for the cobra emplems.

What are underdrive pulleys? I have heard them mentioned in this forum. How do they work, what gains and how much $?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

udp's are smaller pulleys that cost about 200 bucks for the 3 piece set. and it doesnt add horsepower it frees it up, not sure what the gains are like on our cobras though
Old 09-10-2008, 02:17 AM
JTanew
1st Gear Member

with the UDPs you'll free up bout 15-20hp and what they do is slow down the accessory drives(water pump,alternator)and in the case of the water pump,it also prevents high-rpm Cavitation when your racing it around burning the tires off
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
CobraKMA

Very cool! Do you recommend making changes to the cooling system? New radiator or water pumpt with this mod? As I think all mustangs run hot mine is too.

Also, as far as the 4.10 gears, won't that be a bit much for a daily driver? Is there really that much difference between 3:73 and 4:10 and do the benefits outway the drawbacks (such as heat and gas mileage)?

Thanks for your help. I am learning a lot from you guys.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

In order to really have fun in a hot state like CA with my 4.30's I had to buy a racing radiator, now I just wish I had 4.56's : ( For a naturally aspirited cobra dont even consider anything less than 4.10's if so you are just wasting your money. My gears havent really helped my 0-60 but they sure changed my 0-58 lol then I have to switch gears so 0-100 is great too.

Quick Reply: Performance mod suggestions 96 Cobra