SVT Forums

Bouncing ideas off you guys.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Mock01
2nd Gear Member

Default Bouncing ideas off you guys.

Hey guys. I'm attempting to get my ideas straightened out and figured you could help. As you can see in my sig, I have no 4th gear. As of right now, the car is just in storage so we haven't taken it apart to figure out what the hell happened (Seriously, how do you blow 4th?). That being said, the transmission is going to have to be fixed/replaced before anything else gets done to the car. The options, as I see them, are: 1) Depending on what happened, fix it and build the transmission up a bit while it's in the shop; 2) If it's cheaper than fixing it, find another 99/01 trans and swap them.

Someone suggested another option that sounds appealing but I'm not sure how well/if it would work...Is it possible to swap an 03/04 6-speed in? I figure it would be a bit stronger than the one I have now and have the extra gear...I'm planning on adding more power to the car in the future. If we were to go this route, what else would have to be changed? (Rear end?)

On another train of thought: I'm planning on going FI at some point in the future (But honestly, I'm in college and can't blow $5-6 grand on a project right now). What else can I do in the meantime to add a bit of power? The only thing that immediately comes to my mind is exhaust, as things like heads/cams don't produce much gain (While NA) for the price you pay...At least that's what I read in the S197 section where I spend most of my time. What else would be beneficial for my car?

If you took the time to read those blocks of text, thanks and treat yourself to a cookie, you deserve it. (Seriously though, thanks in advance, lol)
Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

thanks for the cookie.

now, what is your final goal for this car, you may want to just jump 3 steps ahead and just build a really tough tranny. you mentioned possible FI later, are you shooting for your average 400hp or are you gonna try and get up there like 650-750 range?? also... are you into 1/4 mile racing? or road course racing??

heres what i'd do.

400hp road course = rebuild your tranny with quality parts. stage 2 clutch
400hp 1/4 mile = rebuild your tranny with quality parts and upgrade imput shaft to 26 spline. stage 3 clutch.
650hp road course = figure out how to bolt a 6speed, 26 spline, twin disk clutch
650hp 1/4 mile = built auto
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Mock01
2nd Gear Member

It's going to be a DD (Or at least a car suitable for driving on the streets on a pretty regular basis) during the summer...For the winter I have a FWD car so I don't have to worry about driving it in a Michigan winter. I'm hoping to get it somewhere between 425-450, somewhere around there...Nothing like a 6-700hp monster

Like I said, it's mainly going to be used as a semi-DD that will put up with a little abuse there (Don't lie, we all do it ) and will be at the 1/4 track quite a bit. I'm not much for road courses...Don't even know if we have one around here.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

then just rebuild yours, strong!! do stuff like the billet throw out bearing retainer, convert to 26 spline (although kinda overkill, everyone says that the 11 is good til like 550hp) but just do it anyways... doesnt cost much more and at least you'll know you have no weak links.

but if money is the issue right now... find one at the junkyard... swap it and put yours in the garage until its nicely built up... ready for the other one to break...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Mock01
2nd Gear Member

What do you think it would cost to upgrade the tranny?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

rebuild yourself??? if you've got the skill, probably $700 finished with all the cool guy parts, but it cant be simple..

if your a garage warrior.. then just get a preassebmled tranny and add your parts to it.
i just checked ebay... you can get a brand new one for 650-700 + imput shaft and bearing retainer $375 + clutch and flywheel resurface probably $1600 out the door... but the labor is you!!

thats the route i'd go... unless you have a friend in that line of work, that same stuff will be $2500 easy.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

you can put a t-56 from an 03/04 in pretty easily. might need a different driveshaft depending on the length of the body of your current trans. I have a mostly stock t-56 in mine with just TOB upgrades and the 26spline input shaft. it is holding over 800ftlbs.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i would put in a t56 if you have the money to do it

here is one for sale in indiana if you are interested in the t56

on a side note you need to come back to mIRC you are missing out on some epic awesomeness

Last edited by 99 GT vert; 02-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Mock01
2nd Gear Member

Well gawd damn, I'm going to Indiana this weekend anyways I think...We might have to look into this!

Btw I'm in there and I don't see any awesomeness...Just talk of babies.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mock01
Well gawd damn, I'm going to Indiana this weekend anyways I think...We might have to look into this!

Btw I'm in there and I don't see any awesomeness...Just talk of babies.

well if you are already going to be in indiana you might as well look at it

the awesomeness happens you just have to come more often

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bouncing ideas off you guys.