SVT Forums

98 cobra in progess headers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:40 PM
utap1

Default 98 cobra in progess headers???

I have a 98 cobra. Right now it is in the shop going back with forged rods, pistons, a complete rebuild on the shortblock and 5 angle valve job. While the engine is out im going to have it put back in with long tubes. What type do you suggest?? Coated?? I hate the way rusty headers look. Do the coated ones hold up longer??
Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Well it depends on if you want to replace your header in a couple years. Even with ceramic coated they will rust from the inside out. Go with ARH or Kooks. They are the 2 best and are made out of stainless steel so they will never rust on you. If you go with Mac, BBk, Bassani etc...They are not stainless and will eventually rust. If your going to do headers do it rite and do it once.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

here im fixing to rip my LTs out. there stainless and have gotten quite hot and they look great. want those?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
pitmitch910
2nd Gear Member

yea arh and kooks are the best but they arent cheap but do it once, it will be cake with the motor out already.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by David_K
here im fixing to rip my LTs out. there stainless and have gotten quite hot and they look great. want those?
Whats the reason you're taking them out?

what brand are they? Pm me with details. (op gets dibs but if hes not interested).

EDIT: DAMMMMMMIT lol just realized i need 99-04 headers now lol.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Whats the reason you're taking them out?

what brand are they? Pm me with details. (op gets dibs but if hes not interested).

EDIT: DAMMMMMMIT lol just realized i need 99-04 headers now lol.
What you do a motor swap or something?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
What you do a motor swap or something?
Same block, forged internals, 01 cobra heads/intake.

Some goodies.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

PM me about those headers
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
utap1

How complicated and what is the benifit of switching to the 01 intake from the 98
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
mfj
Banned

I would also go Kooks!

Stainless Steel is the best...

Here's a little history lesson for you guys...

Let's go back to the industrial revolution. In the past, the metal of choice was iron. Iron was a great metal, as it was very cheap. There were some limitations however... Iron is not very hard, so there was a limit to how high buildings could be built, along with a slew of other things.

The metal that started the industrial revolution was NICKEL. Researchers found out, that if you add 5% nickel, and 95% iron, you make a metal alloy that is much stronger. With this Iron Nickel alloy, buildings could be built higher, and train tracks became reliable. We now call this iron/nickel alloy, STEEL...

There was only ONE real problem with steel. The iron in the steel eventually oxidizes with moisture and air. Iron oxide, better known as RUST, quickly became a problem that needed to be addressed... Well, scientists found out that when you add 17% Chromium to that steel, it will no longer rust. So this iron/nickel/chromium alloy, is what we call STAINLESS STEEL. The ONLY set back with stainless steel, is cost. Chromium is more expensive, so it is inherent that stainless steel is also more expensive...

When it comes to headers, don't go cheap. Get STAINLESS STEEL KOOKS... Or ARH... Or Stainless Steel Works...

Quick Reply: 98 cobra in progess headers???