SVT Forums

Birthday coming up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Default Birthday coming up...

I'll be turning 20 at the end of April, and have had my 07 gt for 2.5 years. I've modded it pretty nicely, but can't get away from the cobra "dream" I guess you could say. Well I figured with my car I can probably get around or just above 22k for it and get a cobra then mod it and have a GREAT looking and fast car. I was wondering what your first upgrades would be and where you'd shop? Here's a link to some pics of my car and jeep that me and dad work on a lot: http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...yan_ralstongt/

If I do get the cobra I'd like to lower it, KB with JLT CAI, 3.73 gears, expanded intercooler tank, and some other various things. Opinions?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

AT 20 (now 21) I sold my 07 gt for a terminator. What year cobra are you looking for? The best mods to do first are you supporting mods. IRS brace, IRS bushings & head cooling mod. Do not launch your car without the brace! After you get done with them you can do a intake and dyno tune. These cars are nothing like 05+ gts. You can not get a mail order tune and think it will be good and safe to drive on. Once you start changing pullies on the terminators a dyno tune is needed.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
AT 20 (now 21) I sold my 07 gt for a terminator. What year cobra are you looking for? The best mods to do first are you supporting mods. IRS brace, IRS bushings & head cooling mod. Do not launch your car without the brace! After you get done with them you can do a intake and dyno tune. These cars are nothing like 05+ gts. You can not get a mail order tune and think it will be good and safe to drive on. Once you start changing pullies on the terminators a dyno tune is needed.
I'm not real sure rite now as to what year...was wondering if any changes were made inb etween them? I've heard there was a valve knocking issue on the 03's I think? First things will be a set of springs, irs brace, exhaust, and a CAI most likely...and in that order...
Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

there was a head tick issue on some 03's but most wont have that issue, that is what the popular "head cooling mod" prevents, other than that there no major differences, paint options and on 04's i know the rear 02's are in a slightly different position or something like that, but you sound like your on the right track man
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryanralston07
I'm not real sure rite now as to what year...was wondering if any changes were made inb etween them? I've heard there was a valve knocking issue on the 03's I think? First things will be a set of springs, irs brace, exhaust, and a CAI most likely...and in that order...
Well are you looking at like a 99/01 or a 03/04? The 03/04's are SC from the factory.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I'm really just tryin to find a cobra to base my build IF I go with a cobra...my stang isn't in my name so I'd have to convice dad to go with this lol. So with the DD factor...what would I be looking at as far as MPG and driveability factor? I'd like to get a good short throw shifter (love the hurst I have on now) and I figure the clutch will last a little while since I'm aiming right around 550-600rwhp?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Well are you looking at like a 99/01 or a 03/04? The 03/04's are SC from the factory.
03/04
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryanralston07
I'm really just tryin to find a cobra to base my build IF I go with a cobra...my stang isn't in my name so I'd have to convice dad to go with this lol. So with the DD factor...what would I be looking at as far as MPG and driveability factor? I'd like to get a good short throw shifter (love the hurst I have on now) and I figure the clutch will last a little while since I'm aiming right around 550-600rwhp?
Just tell your dad that its all worth it and its pointless to keep building onto your car now lol. Are you going to be using it for the drag strip or auto x? Mine is my DD except in the winter, but I get between 12-15mpg city. These cars are not very good on fuel. I did a test and drove on a full tank and shifted at only 2100 everytime without getting on it at all and I got 17.5 in the city (not very fun). The hurst for these cars suck big time, Nothing like the one I had in my 07. I got the mgw orange handle so you can rotate it to face you because the shifter location in these cars are crap compared to the 05+. I would upgrade your clutch when you get to about 550rwhp.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Lol I'm going to attempt that soon. Gathering all my numbers right now on what we'd do. I found an 03 for around 19k and figured that I'd have about 22k out of mine along with some other money I've saved up so a KB could go on along with the brace for the IRS and possibly a new set of wheels and tires so it will try and stick
When does the fuel system need to be upgraded on these? I know I had to replace mine when I went with a whipple on mine...
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

you can get away with a kenne bell boost-a-pump and bigger injectors at decent boost levels, much over 5- or 600 i cant remember where exactly, you need better fuel pumps and fuel rails wouldn't hurt either

Quick Reply: Birthday coming up...