SVT Forums

Spec clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
SemperFiCobra

Default Spec clutch problem

Here is the problem. I have a 2003 cobra Had a squeal coming from the car turned out to be a bad throw out bearing. Pretty common problem from what I found. I had a spec stage 3 clutch put in with an aluminum flywheel. I have had nothing but problems with this kit but, to be fair I don't know if its the clutch or a bad install or what. I had terrible clutch chatter and shutter for a while past the break in period. Then the Steeda firewall cable gave out on me a couple months later. I had a new cable installed by somebody else and they took the clutch out said it was fine and reinstalled it. The chatter really has gone away but, now I have what has been described in other posts as the elephant sound when I release the clutch to first start moving. My question is what do I do now? I know its possible something could be on it from the reinstall but, I am about ready to rip the whole damn clutch out and try another one. I bought the clutch and first installed it 9 months ago and its been in the shop 3 times for problems with the clutch. Anybody had any experience with this or any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

is the flywheel balanced? also... when you say you put in an aluminum flywheel.... you already had one stock

where in cali are you? i may be able to send you a good direction.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
SemperFiCobra

I'm in Pacific Beach stationed at MCAS Miramar. If you could send me somewhere that would be great. By aluminum flywheel I had the Fidanza aluminum flywheel installed because they told me the original wasn't going to be able to be resurfaced which who knows if thats true or not but, I got the fly wheel with the clutch kit and it was ordered so I don't think they were trying to rip me off. My problem is finding somewhere to get decent work done. I unfortunately don't know if its balanced or not. I don't even know how to determine that. I don't work on my car myself. I wish I could do my own work but, I just don't have the time or the knowledge. I had the work done in Corpus Christi TX and I had the worst experience there trying to get anything done on my car. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

ok sorry im in southern cali... hopefully someone else will chime in from close to there to help

Anywhoo, i cant say weither or not it could have been re-used..they could have sent it back to McLeod for rebuilding but i dont know the condition of your old one, if it just needed to get changed due to the new clutch.. then you were hosed and yes, it could have been rebuilt

I was just leaning towards there being a problem with the flywheel install due to the fact that you had the car in the shop 3 times, by 2 different people and they both think the clutch was installed correctly.

Well if you ever have to go to Pendleton Marine base... bring your car! you can go to my mechanic..... hell you can go anyways if you dont mind driving 420 miles!!!
gtrhipo.com (GTR High Performance)
Old 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
SemperFiCobra

No thats great actually. Thanks for the help, I haven't had anyone tell me that could be a problem so its definitely worth checking out. Actually Pendleton is only 30 or 40 minutes north of me, I am in San Diego. I will check out that website, who should I ask for there?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Don't Marines graduate from where you're stationed? Pendleton is 40 minutes to an hour from me. An hour and 20 with my truck. I would say you are around 2 hours from me. I'm in Long Beach and currently replacing my clutch as well, just waiting for funds really.

I wouldn't mind lending a hand as long as you have a spot to do the work around the Pendleton area.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Gonzalo is usually the one who answers the phone, and when you go into the shop, he's the money man.... definately a stand up guy who will take good care of you.

Ricardo is the main mechanic... but he's hard to get on the phone, he's usually under a hood or on the dyno... but when your there, he'll take you in the back (where the work is done) and actually show you whats going on with the car...

Tell them Mike Dixon referred you (if this is the route you go)
I dont like referring people cause i dont like associating my name with others usually cause i dont want anything to go wrong and then my names trash too.... but I can definately vouch for these guys.... and awesome pricing!!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 562cobra
Don't Marines graduate from where you're stationed? Pendleton is 40 minutes to an hour from me. An hour and 20 with my truck. I would say you are around 2 hours from me. I'm in Long Beach and currently replacing my clutch as well, just waiting for funds really.

I wouldn't mind lending a hand as long as you have a spot to do the work around the Pendleton area.
And i wouldnt mind taking a nap while you do all the work like your buddy did... haha
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM
high_up1

without being in the car. I'm guessing the clutch is fine. there are two options for the stage 3 clutch the more common being the ceramic. a ceramic clutch will chatter, this is common. the noise is also common. as for the clutch cable braking the new pressure plate is stronger so it puts more stress on everything with the clutch release system. I run heavy duty ceramic clutches in all my vehicles. as i said though this is just off of your description not actually seeing the car but I would not worry about anything.