SVT Forums

2003 cobra power numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
machalex
1st Gear Member

Default 2003 cobra power numbers?

i am thinking of trading my mach for a cobra. what WHEEL hp can i get for doing midpipe and catback, throttlebody, pulley, cai, and chip with good tune?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by machalex
i am thinking of trading my mach for a cobra. what WHEEL hp can i get for doing midpipe and catback, throttlebody, pulley, cai, and chip with good tune?
450ish rwhp
Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

....I made 465 rwhp without the TB at Mustang Magic, so you would be in that neighborhood!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by machalex
First off you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a cobra without most if not all those mods already.
Second off the poster above me is correct. If you get a ported TB/Plen and decent cai and exhaust system that flows well, and a 2.76 upper and tune you will make in the mid-high 400s to the tires.

I would not go with a aftermarket tb/plen. The stock one flows really well once ported and the money you spend on a aftermarket piece can be used to port your eaton instead which will gain you another ~50-60 rwhp instead of the 5-6 from a aftermarket one.

If I had 4-5 grand and a stock term I'd grab a used exhaust and intake off the forums, get a used kb or whip for a few grand, get a used bap & 60# inj and tune it. You'll make ~600 and can call it a day. (the price is factored in the fact you'll sell your stock stuff as well)

I've had almost every setup you can have on this car, sept a twin-screw, and the only reason for that is I can't with the turbo as well.
If I had to do it again I'd go twin turbo or a twin screw and nitrous.
Everything else is a waste.
If you swear to the holiest of powers you want no more then 600rwhp a port and nitrous will get you there easily but it's so much easier doing it with a twin screw. Everyone tries to be a hero with the eaton and a decent amount end up upgrading to a kb or whip anyways.
Don't touch the fuel tank, get a BAP and big *** injectors. If you run out of fuel sell the BAP and drop 2 grand on a return setup. I speak from literally trying every returnless setup on the market and still going return.
Don't be a hero with the returnless system. It'll only be a money pit. Some get it to work but more have problems then don't.

In closing with these cars power is SO easily had for such a CHEAP price that you should always upgrade big. Don't upgrade to just barely do what you want, always spend extra so you don't have to re-do the whole thing when you want to make more power down the road.

Last edited by DarkDigital; 01-09-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

My numbers are in my sig and that is pretty much with every bolt on including longtubes, I do not have a tb thou. Alot of your power also comes down to how well of a dyno tune you have. I am hoping by changing my intake and adding a tb/pl I can make 500rwhp with no port, twin screw, or n20.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM
jimbob8915
1st Gear Member

I found this site and it has just about every mod and horsepower figure you can dream of. http://dynofacts.com/category.php?ty...b82f84955d1e30
Having said that I have a stock plenum that has been ported. Who, where, and how much does a ported throttle body run?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
I found this site and it has just about every mod and horsepower figure you can dream of. http://dynofacts.com/category.php?ty...b82f84955d1e30
Having said that I have a stock plenum that has been ported. Who, where, and how much does a ported throttle body run?
For a ported tb you can check the parts section on svtperformance, I have seen alot on there or you can send you stock one to "posi" to get done or steigmeir (spelling is wrong), you can find there website by using google haha.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:09 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

I would send my blower and tb/plen to posi, he'll give you a great deal and you'll see max gains, prolly around 60-70rwhp once you're done over stock.
Can't go better then that if you plan on running eaton. Then spray it with a 150 shot and call it a day.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

For me it's Whipple or nothing!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i agree with timpspony...i have many buddies that have kb and its a very good supercharger but i find myself hearing less horror stories with whipple then kb...and people will fight this all day i wouldnt be upset with either set up but i would choose whipple specially cause it a direct replacement and kb you have to do a couple things.

Quick Reply: 2003 cobra power numbers?