SVT Forums

need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
StangGuy4.6

Default need help please!

I have recently picked up a 03 cobra longblock, but the seller left the harmonic ballancer installed on the timing cover. There is also a little hub that the lower pulley cage mounts to on the front of the ballancer. Im having a tremendous problem getting this thing off. I have tried an impact gun, PB blaster, breaker bar, and hitting a ratchet with a hammer and this thing will not break loose. Do any of you have any ideas on how to remove thing PITA? and i NEED to remove this thing to get the timing cover off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK, now keep in mind, this is on my 5.0, but my harmonic balancer was also a pain to remove. I had to put the transmission in 5th gear and use a breaker bar to remove the bolt that holds it on the key way, then use a harmonic balancer puller to remove it. It is not easy, but can be done. Again, that's how I did it on my 5.0, I'm sure the 4.6 is something similar.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
StangGuy4.6

They are actually pretty Different. There is the small hub that is showed in the picture that is attached to the harmonic ballancer. And then under the hub is the screw that connects the ballancer to the crank. And the motor is on a stand so there is nothing to keep the crank from turning. This thing has not even showed signs of budging. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

This is a right hand thread bolt. Put a 10mm allen socket in there, with a huge breaker bar attached. Put car in 6th gear. Lay on your side and put both feet on the breaker bar, grab the front drivers tire with your arms for bracing, and PUUUUUSSSSSSHHHH with all your might (in your legs). It will make a tremendous POP! And then you just thread it out.

No this is not a prank reply. This is how I removed mine. That is how these are removed. The large silver thingy on the snout of the balancer is the inner shell of the balancer support cage that used to be on there. It must be removed to access the balancer bolt. The balancer bolt is removed the normal way. The balancer bolt is also TTY (torque to yield) which means it can NOT be re-used. ARP makes a replacement that is MUCH better quality anyways.

EDIT: If the motor is on an engine stand...this will be nearly impossible to remove with re-using in mind. It can be done though. One way would be to cut the long silver section off. It's hollow underneath, and will reveal the balancer bolt. Then lock the flywheel or back of the crank with something and hit it with an impact.

Last edited by Smokin04; 05-01-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Any updates?