SVT Forums

Need Help on 'Blue' Smoke' from Exhaust???

Old 06-27-2010, 07:40 PM
03MustangTerminator

Default Need Help on 'Blue' Smoke' from Exhaust???

Hi! I'm kind of new here. Been searching for things on this forum about mustangs for a while. Got my first mustang '03 Mustang Cobra' few months ago.

Put Oil separator and FULL Bassani Exhaust, (Everything else is Stock) thinking 'Blue' smoke from Exhaust would disappear but it didn't after those installations.

***ONLY happens when you start the car after it's been sitting for a while ('While' meaning few hours)

Here's the youtube video of the smoke coming out when it's being started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pAq5rIvCRY

Any body have any idea of what it might be?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

It only smokes one puff man. Honestly I don't see any issues there. When you turn the car off, you will always have 2-4 valves open. A drop or two of oil could find it's way into the chambers and burn off when starting like what you're witnessing. Nothing can be done and nothing needs to be done.

BUT it could be a couple of leaky valve seals maybe...how many miles are on the car? New motor? Stock motor? Rebuild?

Honestly, I think you're fine.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
03MustangTerminator

Originally Posted by Smokin04
It only smokes one puff man. Honestly I don't see any issues there. When you turn the car off, you will always have 2-4 valves open. A drop or two of oil could find it's way into the chambers and burn off when starting like what you're witnessing. Nothing can be done and nothing needs to be done.

BUT it could be a couple of leaky valve seals maybe...how many miles are on the car? New motor? Stock motor? Rebuild?

Honestly, I think you're fine.
It has 11,200 Miles on it. Stock motor, nothing changed, (expect different, I believe 90mm throttle) which previous owner changed. There could be other things changed, but everything looks stock, even supercharger pulley. Bought this car from a guy that owned 3 dealer ships and was tired of it. It was ONLY used for the track, that's why it has so much miles on it.

Since it was only used for the track, kind of wondering if the valve seals are going. Oh yeah, the car was sitting in the garage for 3 years without driving. Don't know if that helps.

Was swapping spark plugs few weeks ago and noticed 4-5 of the old spark plugs were wet with oil.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Time to reaplace the valve seals/guides.

Last edited by DreamerGT; 06-28-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I was leaning towards the valve guides as well....but at only 11k miles?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Race only type situation...could've live his life a quarter mile at a time...<--Fast and Furious throwback!

Probably hit the rev limiter several times. This is very hard on the valve train. But if you change the plugs to fresh ones and they still get oily, then yes, you need a valve job.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
03MustangTerminator

Race only type situation...could've live his life a quarter mile at a time...<--Fast and Furious throwback!

Probably hit the rev limiter several times. This is very hard on the valve train. But if you change the plugs to fresh ones and they still get oily, then yes, you need a valve job.

Love your Fast and Furious Quote. That's exactly what previous owner should've done.

Yeah and it's only 11,000 miles, he should've taken easy on first 3,000 miles when he got the car.

***It's not going to cause any more damage to anything else, Will it????
Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

hard to say if it will hurt anything else. If all you do is drive in traffic and occasionally get on it, then I would say you'll live a long life. How many vehicles still run while smoking? Almost every one. A bad valve seal wont kill a motor by itself, but the octane of the oil mist in the chambers at high rpm and load could cause detonation and kill...that just depends on if its valve seals or not. As I said, replace the plugs and after a few hundred miles, check for oil on the plugs again. If there's oil it could be seals and/or seats. If you see oil on the plugs again IMMEDIATELY do a leak down or pay to have one done. It will save you money in the long run. If a leak down shows no signs of a bad hole, then it is with almost 100% certainty that the seals are bad and the seats are good. If a leakdown shows a bad hole or holes, then you have much bigger problems...could be a number of things: broken rings, ring lands, cracks in pistons, scuffed or burnished walls...list goes on and on. But a leakdown is your friend for that exact reason.

When you get one, pm me with the results and we'll talk about it.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
03MustangTerminator

hard to say if it will hurt anything else. If all you do is drive in traffic and occasionally get on it, then I would say you'll live a long life. How many vehicles still run while smoking? Almost every one. A bad valve seal wont kill a motor by itself, but the octane of the oil mist in the chambers at high rpm and load could cause detonation and kill...that just depends on if its valve seals or not. As I said, replace the plugs and after a few hundred miles, check for oil on the plugs again. If there's oil it could be seals and/or seats. If you see oil on the plugs again IMMEDIATELY do a leak down or pay to have one done. It will save you money in the long run. If a leak down shows no signs of a bad hole, then it is with almost 100% certainty that the seals are bad and the seats are good. If a leakdown shows a bad hole or holes, then you have much bigger problems...could be a number of things: broken rings, ring lands, cracks in pistons, scuffed or burnished walls...list goes on and on. But a leakdown is your friend for that exact reason.

When you get one, pm me with the results and we'll talk about it.
The good thing is that there aren't any smoke when I drive the car. Went to 5,000 RPM on few occasions "How can I not" awesome car, want to hear the supercharger.

If there were scoring or anything else in the chamber the car would smoke all the time, but it's only when the car sits for few hours and then it smokes when I star it.

Do you know where/who can help me replace the seals? I'm now about 99% sure it's seals.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Any reputable shop can help with seal replacement. Dont know about KY though. Never been there, dont know anybody there, so no I cant recommend anyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help on 'Blue' Smoke' from Exhaust???