SVT Forums

Looking at a used Cobra need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
johnnycool

Default Looking at a used Cobra need help

I found a 97 cobra,
Black on Black, body is stright, no signs of accidents, and the interior is decent, ecepted for the drivers seat.

modes are a short throw shifter, 4.11 gears, 5 star cobra wheels, recent tune up, brakes and tires. no cats, aftermarket pipes

The paint is faded, the drivers power seat dosen't work, the ac is shot, and both the cel and abs lights are on, the odomontoer stoped at 100000 and they say it should have arould 150000 now. it also sometimes pops out of reverse, said it started doing it after the shifter change.

Questions:
What should a person pay for this car? or shuld they run?
the ac would have to be fixed first, how invovled is that and the cost?
would you be scared of the miles and the reverse issue?
what would cause the abs light, and how much to fix it.

I'm tring to figure out if I can get this car cheap enough is it worth restoring, or should I keep waiting and throw more cash at a cleaner car?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I wouldn't pay above $2500 at most for the car. The engine "should" be fine for a little while if it's been well maintained.

The AC could be an involved process, odds are it's just an A/C compressor, which will cost upwards of $500 to fix.

Probably a problem with the transmission itself internally which is causing it to pop out of gear, not good either.

The ABS light being on is caused by a failed ABS sensor on one, or more of the calipers.

All in all, you will be looking at around $2500-$3000 to fix everything, and that's shop pricing. Most of that cost is stuck on the transmission and A/C, assuming you need a new one of each, and that the clutch is OK, although I would change that too.

As far as the engine miles go, I wouldn't be too worried if it was well maintained but know it's on the downside of it's life and a rebuild/new motor is in the cars near future.

Personally I'd pass on the car unless you're looking for a good little project car at a good price. Realistically, expect to spend around $10,000 on this car within the next few years due to small repairs, stuff going out, and of course upgrades/mods if you can justify that to yourself, then get it, if not, then pass.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:56 AM
johnnycool

Thanks for the reply, That is what I was thinking, I have been looking for a while, and I'm ready to find one. I would rater put money in mods then repairs. It just seems that everthing I look at is junk, or way overpriced
Old 07-03-2010, 08:04 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

oh come on $2500? the engines alone are still going for that yes you can find cheaper one but the average is still $2500 or higher.
I'm thinking $4000 is a fair price maybe you can get it cheaper but if the owner knows anything he knows someone will pay $4000
Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
oh come on $2500? the engines alone are still going for that yes you can find cheaper one but the average is still $2500 or higher.
I'm thinking $4000 is a fair price maybe you can get it cheaper but if the owner knows anything he knows someone will pay $4000
yeah $2500 does sound a tad low, but then again the car sounds a little beat up.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:38 AM
johnnycool

The person to person KBB is $3700 in fair condition, and just one of its conditions would put it in that catagory. It also has some smaller issues I didn't list.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 AM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Unless you like working on cars I would pass on that one. I can't really say anything as I bought my GT for 1800 and put about 400 in, besides mods, and its a decent car but depends on if you do the work yourself. If your looking to mod the Cobra for power, i'd find something better IMO.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnycool
I found a 97 cobra,
Black on Black, body is stright, no signs of accidents, and the interior is decent, ecepted for the drivers seat.

modes are a short throw shifter, 4.11 gears, 5 star cobra wheels, recent tune up, brakes and tires. no cats, aftermarket pipes

The paint is faded, the drivers power seat dosen't work, the ac is shot, and both the cel and abs lights are on, the odomontoer stoped at 100000 and they say it should have arould 150000 now. it also sometimes pops out of reverse, said it started doing it after the shifter change.

Questions:
What should a person pay for this car? or shuld they run?
the ac would have to be fixed first, how invovled is that and the cost?
would you be scared of the miles and the reverse issue?
what would cause the abs light, and how much to fix it.

I'm tring to figure out if I can get this car cheap enough is it worth restoring, or should I keep waiting and throw more cash at a cleaner car?
The odometer can be fixed by replacing the odometer gear.

The shifter popping out of reverse may be because they didn't adjust the stopper bolts correctly in the shifter.

A/C would probably be around $500 to fix depending on what needs to be done. Maybe even less.

The ABS light is what would really concern me. That could be really cheap or really expensive.

Take it to a mechanic and have them check it out first and see what they say. That's your best bet.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 PM
mfj
Banned

I'd offer him $500 for it, lol...