SVT Forums

new block!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

Default new block!

ok i just got a block from a 01 gt and was wondering is it just the heads and forged internals that make it a 4v dohc? if not what do i need to do? also im wanting to stroke it aswell should i switch it to 4v stroked or what? input please!?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM
mfj
Banned

Your question does not even make sense. "Should I switch it to a 4v stroked?" Wtf are you asking that for? Either you want it stroked or you don't.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

im asking how can i switch it from a 2v to a 4v and once i do if i do make it a 4v should i stroke it?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

.... okay so here it goes again....

Internals consist primarily of the crank, rods, and pistons. Switching to forged internls has no bearing on weather the car is a 2v SOHC or 4v DOHC.

4V implies there are 4 valves per cylinder. they are also somtimes called 32v cars (4 valves*8 cylinders = 32 valves) and DOHC means "Dual over head camshaft" which is required to operate the 32 valves in a Cobra/mach1/Mark VIII/Marauder engine.

Also adding stroke to a Modular motor is costly and infective especially on a 2v. The Bore is fairly small on these motors which causes valve shrouding problmes and adding more stroke produces an even less effective bore to stroke ratio. Because of this you will see little... if any gain in horsepower gain at all, Because the heads are unable to feed the larger displacement.

My suggestion would be to build the rotating assembly to reliably support whatever horsepower your final goal is. Leave the engine a 2v with stock heads and stock cams and look at THIS LINK this gives you a walk through on how piece together a supercharger for your car for around $1500.

This will put you at around 400+ rwhp....
and for those of you who like to measure the length of your dick from your *****.... 470+bhp
Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Switching to 4v heads is possible but it will cost more in the process than what it is worth.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire
.... okay so here it goes again....

Internals consist primarily of the crank, rods, and pistons. Switching to forged internls has no bearing on weather the car is a 2v SOHC or 4v DOHC.

4V implies there are 4 valves per cylinder. they are also somtimes called 32v cars (4 valves*8 cylinders = 32 valves) and DOHC means "Dual over head camshaft" which is required to operate the 32 valves in a Cobra/mach1/Mark VIII/Marauder engine.

Also adding stroke to a Modular motor is costly and infective especially on a 2v. The Bore is fairly small on these motors which causes valve shrouding problmes and adding more stroke produces an even less effective bore to stroke ratio. Because of this you will see little... if any gain in horsepower gain at all, Because the heads are unable to feed the larger displacement.

My suggestion would be to build the rotating assembly to reliably support whatever horsepower your final goal is. Leave the engine a 2v with stock heads and stock cams and look at THIS LINK this gives you a walk through on how piece together a supercharger for your car for around $1500.

This will put you at around 400+ rwhp....
and for those of you who like to measure the length of your dick from your *****.... 470+bhp
winner winner chicken dinner!
I would go on to say in a DOHC motor you have 2 cams in EACH head for a total of 4.hence the dual.

single - 1 in each head SOHC single.

also, you can get a Teksid block for $300 shipped quite easily, would be a much better starting point for a 4v build.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Take a look at his other thread titled the same thing in General Discussion you might lol.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
mfj
Banned

OP is a ****ing moron.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
also, you can get a Teksid block for $300 shipped
quite easily, would be a much better starting point for a 4v build.
No you can't.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
No you can't.
im not talking new, im guessing his block from an 01 GT isn't new so he doesn't care.

In the case of used... yes you can.

Quick Reply: new block!