SVT Forums

Cobra and nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Default Cobra and nitrous

Ive heard mixed opinions with this. I want to run a 100 shot, ive heard from a few that its a disaster waiting to happen, then from others i hear the car can take it just fine. Im running a pretty much bone stock 03 motor, no pulley, only real addition is CAI. Would i be fine to run a 100 shot? i know these motors can handle some serious power, but the conflicting opinions are worrying me. Ive been looking around and im a total nitrous noob, they all look kinda the same. I know dry and wet, then plate kits... but i dont know whats best for my car. What should i be looking for if i do go the nitrous route. Also will i need a tune? or is it fine to run without.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by redneck racer; 08-22-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Scoutn757
1st Gear Member

Honestly, with what you have there are MANY options over using nitrous. I would personally recommend a good tune with a pulley and go from there
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

+ 1...I'd go with the Pulley, CAI & tune before using the juice!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

well one reason i havent went that route is, i still have a pretty good warranty covering alot of things. From what i understand all ide have to do is remove the nitrous before taking it in for warranty work and i should be ok, where with the pulley, doesnt it set off some sort of code if it makes over 10lbs of boost? not sure where i heard this but it makes sense.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Scoutn757
1st Gear Member

If it has a PROPER tune by a reputable tuner there is no light. If you put the pulley over back on that I would think you are fine
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
mfj
Banned

Depends on what you need repaired. A dealership is able to tell if you used nitrous, by the color of the valves in your motor. Also, if you spray your car, it will read more than 10psi on your boost gauge lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

No your car will surely blow up, 03 cobra internals are made of sponge like material that suck up nitrous (because its wet) and then once they get too full they bust and go everywhere. (Thats what she said)

Okay but a lot of 03/04 cobra guys DO run nitrous, ON ported blowers. Why? IIRC using nitrous actually cools the motor enough to run boost levels of ~17 lbs with the eaton (ported and pullied). Otherwise the eaton gets heatsoaked and inefficent. Nitrous brand preference is up to you, i'd just try to keep it brand name, Zex/ N.O.S/ Nitrous Express etc etc, if i ever went nitrous i'd probably go zex because the purple bottle looks cool. I honestly feel that no brand outperforms another, some may beg to differ but i wouldn't think there is much to argue about. You should probably run nitrous through a window switch, with the bottle on/switch on it will auto engage at a pre-set RPM. However, what I personally would do is what a lot of these other guys are mentioning, except look into getting your blower ported AND get a pulley, a JLT cold air intake etc etc. A friend of mine made 485whp/460ft/lbs/tq with the mods mentioned and exhaust. A few members on this site have similar numbers.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM
mfj
Banned

I wouldn't even bother with a ported eaton. Waste of money imho. If you're going to pull the blower, throw a twin screw on there. Even ported eatons still have boost drop off at high rpms, and heat soak pretty bad.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
I wouldn't even bother with a ported eaton. Waste of money imho. If you're going to pull the blower, throw a twin screw on there. Even ported eatons still have boost drop off at high rpms, and heat soak pretty bad.
depends on his overall goals, and you can get a ported eaton pretty cheap, my buddy actually ****ed his up trying to weld it himself and bought a replacement for dirt due to a guy going KB or whipple.

KB/whipples are pricey.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

I decided i have alittle less then a year left on any sort of warranty work, so i will instead of spending the 800-1000 dollars on nitrous supplys, begin putting money away for a twin screw. Ill begin doing alittl research soon, i know around 3600 bucks is what ill be looking to fork out for a new one, and i think ide rather have new than used in this situation. I will need to find out how technical the install is, if anyone has experience with these let me know. I wouldnt say im mechanically inclined, but i do learn very quickly and know how to follow directions closely. i do enjoy working on my car alot and have managed to do such mods as full exhaust and pulling the valve covers sucessfully which were far more difficult then i was first thinking.