SVT Forums

All differences between the 96-98 cobras

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Default All differences between the 96-98 cobras

So I have a 98 cobra which I thought was equipped with everything and I know some one that has a 97 cobra. The obvious to everyone would be he dash clock and rims. But I got into this guys car and I noticed a few more things that I dont have..

Under hood light
Driver and passenger seat power lumbar support
Thigh bolster adjuster for the driver seat
"functional" side scoops

And I think that's it. Does the 98 really not have those things? Cuz I really liked the thigh bolster adjusters. I wonder why they would take it away for 98..

Do I even have a real cobra?

Dun dun dun..
Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by arbs
So I have a 98 cobra which I thought was equipped with everything and I know some one that has a 97 cobra. The obvious to everyone would be he dash clock and rims. But I got into this guys car and I noticed a few more things that I dont have..

Under hood light
"functional" side scoops

And I think that's it. Does the 98 really not have those things? Cuz I really liked the thigh bolster adjusters. I wonder why they would take it away for 98..

Do I even have a real cobra?

Dun dun dun..

whats your vin number?
Does the steering wheel say cobra?
is it a 4valve?

Also there are differences in your fuel system and IRMCs if yours is indeed a cobra vs the 96/97s but visually im not too sure, my 96 has everything you mentioned.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I know a guy who has a 95 Cobra with the functional side 'scoops"; my 97 does not have them. He told me that 94-95 were the only years to have them.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
whats your vin number?
Does the steering wheel say cobra?
is it a 4valve?

Also there are differences in your fuel system and IRMCs if yours is indeed a cobra vs the 96/97s but visually im not too sure, my 96 has everything you mentioned.
Yeah steering wheel says cobra. I have a 4 valve and everything a cobra should have I guess. Lol.

Ohh another thing I don't have is strut tower bar. I guess they took that off too for 98.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Usually that kind of stuff is not put on a car in an attempt to save $ or basically make it so there is not such a mark up year to year.
I have only seen functional side scoops on 94/95 Stangs. I know you can put them on yourself but I don't believe that Ford put them on anything after 1995?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BraMas
Usually that kind of stuff is not put on a car in an attempt to save $ or basically make it so there is not such a mark up year to year.
I have only seen functional side scoops on 94/95 Stangs. I know you can put them on yourself but I don't believe that Ford put them on anything after 1995?
probably last year was 96 then because the guy had a cobra like mine but either a 96 or 97. so you can put those side scooops yourself? theyre not really functional anyway right? they just point at the tires. it kinda cool though. if they made a scoop might as well make it functional.

i just wish i had the adjustable thigh bolsters and the power lumbar on both seats. kinda retarted that they took it out. oh well..
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 AM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by arbs

Under hood light
"functional" side scoops

in 98 they had no underhood lights
the seats were a lil different which explains the thigh and lumbar support
96/97 had the same rim and 98 has a different one (i like 98's the most)
no 98 came with a dash clock

im sure you have a real cobra but if your in anyway concerned type your vin number into carfax.com and without paying a penny it will tell u a few things including the model
Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 AM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

oh and 96/97 has aluminum imrc's and 98 has plastic
the plastic was supposed to help protect it from engine gunk but it still sucks lol imrc deletes is the only way to go

and i dont have fuctional side scoops and dont know of any 96-98 cobras that do
Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Yea ford cheapened up the cobra in 98 by removing some small things such as the dash clock, they used a thinner and cheaper carpet (bet no one knew that one), seats changed a bit, the underhood light went bye bye, and not 100% sure but i think they changed to plastic IMRCs in 98 too.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Wow are you serious even the carpets? Well, weight reduction is a good thing. Lol jk. Oh another thing I noticed is inside the glove box is the tire size right? Well if cobra came with 245 45 17 why does the glove box say 225 or something like that? Or 215 idk I forgot by it desnt say 245.

Thanks 94pony. I'll check out carfax. I'm sure I have a real cobra but I want to make sure. Lol that would be so messed up if I didn't..

Last edited by arbs; 08-25-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: All differences between the 96-98 cobras