SVT Forums

1999 Suspension Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Default 1999 Suspension Upgrade Help

Hey guys, I just traded in my 97 for a 99 Cobra, and was planning on throwing a vortech on it this winter. Only problem is I'm noticing that traction is a huge problem right now. My tires aren't the greatest, but still it doesn't seem like it should go sideways quite as easy as it does right now. The 50* weather isn't helping either, but I'm thinking at least some basic suspension upgrades are probably a good idea before adding even more power. My question is where is a good place to start? I've read Jazzer's Guide already, but how much of that also applies to IRS cars? Not looking to go too crazy right now, just want it to grip the road a bit better. Basic goals are mainly 1/4 mile and street performance, but I don't want to kill the possibility of Auto-x.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

IRS Bushings:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/99-...s-c-13_339_342
Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

new bigger rims and tires and a good tire like nt555dr or mikeys
Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 PM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the idea's. I had saw Maximum Motorsports Bushing set, but I wasn't sure if that was really a good place to start or not. Definitely planning on getting new wheels/tires for it eventually, but with winter coming there's no rush since she won't be leaving the barn for a while.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 AM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

So after just making my first ever 1/4 mile runs, now I'm determined that I need new wheels and tires ASAP. How big can I run on a stock Cobra? All I know right now is that if you go too tall you have to roll the fenders, and I think I remember something about a bolt that has to be changed out to allow wider tires?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

get you a 10.5 rim with 315's on there...you need a low profile irs bolt so when and if the tire rubs is does dig a hole in it... dont gotta worry bout your fenders unless your gettin a set of slicks
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are looking for 1/4 mile "dig" grip, you are best served to get a set of 15"s with some DR's on there for such events. Bushings are not going to keep your tires from spinning, just reduce wheel hop issues and help to keep the tires on the road surface. If they are just spinning too easily, you need softer rubber on the ground.

What tires are you running currently?

Jazzer

PS. My guide does not get into the IRS really at all. There is already sooo much info on it from pepes who have built it and know what works and what doesn't.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Venom, thats what I'm thinking about doing. Is that bolt relatively easy to replace I'm assuming. Trying to take "baby steps" learning to do more and more work on this thing myself.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
If you are looking for 1/4 mile "dig" grip, you are best served to get a set of 15"s with some DR's on there for such events. Bushings are not going to keep your tires from spinning, just reduce wheel hop issues and help to keep the tires on the road surface. If they are just spinning too easily, you need softer rubber on the ground.

What tires are you running currently?

Jazzer

PS. My guide does not get into the IRS really at all. There is already sooo much info on it from pepes who have built it and know what works and what doesn't.
Right now I'm 245/45 Kuhmo Ecsta Supras. They're just what was on the car when I bought it a few weeks ago. I found some used Weld 15 inchers on corral, but I wasn't too sure about driving on them to the track, would the huge sidewalls of the tires be a problem for just driving the hour or so there?

Yeah, I started to realize after this I made this that there really is a lot of info about IRS builds, just had to search a little deeper than I did at first.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There are two issues in which to address when looking to go with new wheel diameter and particularly when going with 15"s. The first is overall tire diameter, as OEM is 25.6". Some pepes run up to a 28" tire, but typically have little to zero drop and low rear-end gears. The second is width and best to stay under 10.5" to retain clearance from side to side.

The tires you have are fine, but not gonna do it for the grip you will need at the track or once your Vortec is installed. Take a peek at my Choosing a new tire thread (sig) and take an hour or so to read/understand it. This will give you all the basic, and not soo basic, info on how to choose a tire that works for you

Jazzer
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

So I read through the thread (not for the first time, but it does keep making more and more sense to me every time), and I think I've got a decent idea of what I'm going to do. Unfortunately on site installation isn't really an option for me, so whatever I go with is going to have to be driven on. So with that in mind I think I'm just going to go with some 17's wrapped in E/T Streets or some other such tire. Actually I found some 17x10 cobra's wrapped in BFG drag radials that I think I might make an offer on. Any opinions on if these will hold well?

Quick Reply: 1999 Suspension Upgrade Help