SVT Forums

New guy and follow up to: 98 cobra pops when idles and car dies when stopping/low rpm

Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM
AVandergrift

Default New guy and follow up to: 98 cobra pops when idles and car dies when stopping/low rpm

Hey - I've looked on several forums and this problem is well talked about...but no one has said IF they fixed it and HOW.

I'm having the exact same issue. When I dump the clutch my RPM drop way low - then idles between 500-800.

Threw a code (P1074). So I'm cleaning the MAF and going to test the ICV this weekend and I'm going to look for vacuum leaks - but most of that has been done on the other threads to no avail - but I"m not sure what's up.

If you look up:
98 cobra pops when idles and car dies when stopping/low rpms. HELP PLEASE!!!

and see the video on the last page - I'm doing the exact same thing - but that thread is from 2009 with no reply of HOW they fixed it. Thanks in advance.

Drew
1998 SVT Convertible
"Why oh why did I wait this long to buy something this good?"
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AVandergrift
Hey - I've looked on several forums and this problem is well talked about...but no one has said IF they fixed it and HOW.

I'm having the exact same issue. When I dump the clutch my RPM drop way low - then idles between 500-800.

Threw a code (P1074). So I'm cleaning the MAF and going to test the ICV this weekend and I'm going to look for vacuum leaks - but most of that has been done on the other threads to no avail - but I"m not sure what's up.

If you look up:
98 cobra pops when idles and car dies when stopping/low rpms. HELP PLEASE!!!

and see the video on the last page - I'm doing the exact same thing - but that thread is from 2009 with no reply of HOW they fixed it. Thanks in advance.

Drew
1998 SVT Convertible
"Why oh why did I wait this long to buy something this good?"

More often times than not if the MAF is bad its bad, there is no cleaning it to fix it, simply a replace is in order.

I've had the same problem slowing down on offramps and my car shutting off when i push the clutch in. Honestly i think its a flaw in the PCM design, my car run absolutely PERFECT except for this issue. Even after I replaced...

MAF
IAC
Coolant temp sensor
Plugs and wires
Coil packs
Cleaned IMRCs manually

IT STILL shuts off every now and then when im downshifting on offramps, it only ever happens when i'm getting off the highway.

However your code P1074, didn't look it up but IIRC its something to deal with the MAF, i would replace the MAF, it should help.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i havent seen this mentioned but it could be the TPS buddy of mine had a real rough idle went through 2 of them in a year cause he baught a cheapo but each time it did the same thing but alittle more drastic where it would die sitting still...i would pull it off at idle and see what it does or just replace it it costs like 30 bucks...also could be o2 sensors taking a poop
Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
AVandergrift

Found the problem - had a HUGE vacuum leak. Found it and it runs fine. I also replaced the ICV as well - but it runs like a cobra should. Keeps eating boxsters and camero's at a whim....
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by AVandergrift
Found the problem - had a HUGE vacuum leak. Found it and it runs fine. I also replaced the ICV as well - but it runs like a cobra should. Keeps eating boxsters and camero's at a whim....
Somehow I doubt that you are "eating" LS1 Camaros. *rolls eyes*
Old 10-24-2010, 03:48 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
Somehow I doubt that you are "eating" LS1 Camaros. *rolls eyes*
Well i wouldn't say that... his car could be modded, and he didn't exactly say anything about eating LS-1s in general... could be irocz lol.

Its been my experience even with a stock cobra vs an auto LS-1 from a roll cobras usually have the edge.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Well i wouldn't say that... his car could be modded, and he didn't exactly say anything about eating LS-1s in general... could be irocz lol.

Its been my experience even with a stock cobra vs an auto LS-1 from a roll cobras usually have the edge.
I'll have to disagree with you there. Even from a roll, a stock a4 LS1 Camaro will destroy a stock b-headed Cobra with a good driver.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
I'll have to disagree with you there. Even from a roll, a stock a4 LS1 Camaro will destroy a stock b-headed Cobra with a good driver.
you can disagree with me all you like but i've lived it lol, I've trapped 102 in my car and a friend just recently ran a 13.6 @103 in his 98.... Auto LS-1s don't do much better, from a roll i'd say the advantage goes to the manual car.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
you can disagree with me all you like but i've lived it lol, I've trapped 102 in my car and a friend just recently ran a 13.6 @103 in his 98.... Auto LS-1s don't do much better, from a roll i'd say the advantage goes to the manual car.
I'm a bit confused as to your logic. He still trapped a higher speed in the quarter than you did, and with an AUTO at that. So where are you getting that a B headed Cobra has an advantage from a roll? Not bashing you, just curious as to what logic you are implying with your "living" proof... Cheers
Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
I'm a bit confused as to your logic. He still trapped a higher speed in the quarter than you did, and with an AUTO at that. So where are you getting that a B headed Cobra has an advantage from a roll? Not bashing you, just curious as to what logic you are implying with your "living" proof... Cheers
The 98 i was refering too was my friends cobra. AkA WhitefoxGT on here, he posted slips a few weeks to a month ago.

I don't have any friends with auto Camaros .

The majority of the time a manual car will have the advantage, (speaking in near stock cars) Esp from a roll because they can be in the correct gear without any time downshifting. Racing from a roll in an auto as soon as you floor it you're not in a lower gear, it has to take that half second to downshift, where as with a manual you're already in the correct gear to take full advantage of your powerband. Even from a dig most manual cars seem to have the advantage again, speaking stock or near stock cars, Manual LS-1s tend to run faster than auto LS-1s untill they are stalled etc etc.

Not even a month ago i pulled on an auto 02 SS... kind of sad it was his moms car and he was like 30 lol.