SVT Forums

Clutch noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:45 PM
ghost626

Default Clutch noises

I have an '01 Cobra and I've had this noise recently show up from my clutch. I did some searching, but I can't really find anyone with the same symptoms and I want to make sure if it's something I need to take care of right away. So here it goes:
When I'm driving, I notice this squeaking noise that's coming from the driver side. However, when I put the clutch in it goes away. Even some light pressure on the clutch makes it stop. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from either. I know the squeaking noise is sometimes the throwout bearing, but this seems to be the opposite of the symptoms for that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Its the throw out bearing. The give away was the sound going away when you apply pressure to the clutch. Its a common issue with our cars. Sometimes the clutch fork dose not retract all the way causing the tob to spin with the flex plate and drying out the bearing early. This is the fix to prevent that. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...eplay-kit.html
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
ghost626

Thanks for the info. So it just needs a new TOB? And is this something that needs to be fixed asap or do I have some time? Also is this a sign that the clutch will need to be replaced soon?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

The clutch may be fine, but you might as well replace it while your in that deep. I know my pressure plate was damaged when I tore it down, luckily I bought a full kit for the job. You may have some time, but understand the worse and louder the sound is, the worse it is. By the time I got to mine the bearing came out in three pieces (both races and shield) with no ***** in sight. Im about to do the job again, once again with an alright clutch in the car due to the tob failing. This time I will do that spring mod since I recently came across it.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 PM
ghost626

How hard is it to change the TOB? All I have to jack the car is a jack and stands. And no spare hands lol.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

You have to pull the tranny, same as doing a clutch. Drop your mid pipe, driveshaft, unbolt the shifter handle, remove the wiring, starter, cross member. Lower the tail shaft on the trans, unblot and remove trans. Replace tob from trans, replace clutch, reassemble. It took me about 4-6 hours with a hoist the first time. Recommend plenty of PB blaster and maybe let it sit over night and multiple applications.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Does sound like a TOB....but since you still have to pull the tranny to replace, I'd also replace the clutch while you're there!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
mfj
Banned

Replace the pilot bearing as well, while your at it. Those commonly take a **** as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
ghost626

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it to my mechanic to help me change everything.
Which clutch kit would you recommend? It's a bone stock Cobra and I don't plan to heavily modify it, so just a basic clutch. I've been looking at a RAM and Spec kit.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

go with spec 2 or 2+

Quick Reply: Clutch noises