SVT Forums

Pulley Swap:What Size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Xstreme Cobra

Default Pulley Swap:What Size?

I'm wanting to do a pulley change on my 03,currently the mods on my car are
a Off-Road X-Pipe,CAI,Hyper Tech Extreme Energy Proagramer,& a set of one chamber race mufflers.What would be the best size pulley for my set up?Also will I be able to retain the factory belt?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Go with the BF 2.76. You will also need to get an idler pulley and you will need a dyno tune as soon as you are done installing the pullies. A word of advice, get rid of the crappy hyper tech!!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

+1.....
Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

+2 ... and get a GOOD tune!!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Xstreme Cobra

Thanks,I owned several GT's, but this is my first SVT COBRA,as for the programer I was talked into buying it.Would the SCT programer be the way to go?As for the 2.76 pulley
how much more of a power gain should I anticipate at the back tires?Will I need to change the thermostat?This is my daily driver and bracket racer on the weekends so I'm looking for a good balance between reliability and power.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Xstreme Cobra

Originally Posted by Xstreme Cobra
Thanks,I owned several GT's, but this is my first SVT COBRA,as for the programer I was talked into buying it.Would the SCT programer be the way to go?As for the 2.76 pulley
how much more of a power gain should I anticipate at the back tires?Will I need to change the thermostat?This is my daily driver and bracket racer on the weekends so I'm looking for a good balance between reliability and power.
Will I be able to use the factory fuel injectors with this pulley set up?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

The SCT is good that is what I have but the diablosport is good also. Both the canned tunes that come preloaded on them I would never run on my car, especially after a pulley swap. What I would do is contact who ever you are gonna have tune your car and see which one they use and prefer. Your stock thermostat is fine. You car will still be reliable as long as you get a dyno tune rite away. By increasing boost you need the correct tune so you don't blow your motor. Also if you have no done it yet I would work on your IRS such as new bushings and the IRS brace before adding more power, also look into the headcooling mod.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Xstreme Cobra

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
The SCT is good that is what I have but the diablosport is good also. Both the canned tunes that come preloaded on them I would never run on my car, especially after a pulley swap. What I would do is contact who ever you are gonna have tune your car and see which one they use and prefer. Your stock thermostat is fine. You car will still be reliable as long as you get a dyno tune rite away. By increasing boost you need the correct tune so you don't blow your motor. Also if you have no done it yet I would work on your IRS such as new bushings and the IRS brace before adding more power, also look into the headcooling mod.
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Thanks!
No problem man. Keep us posted on what ya do and what kinda numbers she puts down!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
bbcobra
1st Gear Member

you can use the 75 inch factory belt with an aftermarket 4 pulley set (one 100mm idler and two100mm idlers and one 90mm idler) such as billetflow or metco with that 2.76 upper pulley.
intake, exhaust and 2.76 upper will bet an easy 100+hp at the wheels over stock.

a real dyno tune would be the best option.

I'm running a e-mail or mail order tune from rwtd. It works great for me. Good a/f all the way to redline. Amazon will also do a mail order tune. These are just some more options.

I'd also reccomend the SCT programmer. They're software is good to work with. If you get a wideband kit you can record the a/f with your sct software to send to your tuner if doing a mail order tune.

Last edited by bbcobra; 11-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Pulley Swap:What Size?