SVT Forums

Timspony, this is for you... JLT intake tube argument

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 AM
mfj
Banned

Default Timspony, this is for you... JLT intake tube argument

Let me first state that the ONLY reason this isn't in a private message to you, is that I believe this comparison and/or debate MAY be helpful to other Cobra owners as well...

In the last thread that you made, you posted pics of your custom ram air intake setup, which I really really like. Anyways, this has nothing to do with your custom set up, but rather with what pipes you chose to go with.

A little background, first of all, I made my 785 rwhp on my 3.4L Whipple last February through the stock intake tube, with just a 9inch K&N filter attached to the MAF, as you can see in the following pic (excuse the dirtyness and the unnecessarily long pcv hose :

I want to see how much I will gain over the stock tube, with the carbon fiber JLT tube, but I don't know which route to go. I can do something similar to what you did, with the "bent" silicone coupler attached to a JLT tube and then a reducer coupler attached to the 90mm MAF:

Or I can get this JLT kit from Lethal, which utilizes a straight coupler attached to a "prebent" carbon fiber tube and then the silicone "reducer" coupler to attach to the MAF:

What do you think, Tim?

Last edited by mfj; 01-10-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

MFJ - Thanks for liking the Custom Ram Air! ...You have a BIG HP Cobra (unlike me! ), so for your application, you might have to look at this JLT Product as well!!

...I'm not convinced that the JLT Carbon Fiber RAI will make more the the standard JLT RAI that I have...I guess only a dyno would prove that! ...It might just come down to cost & looks!

Anyways, I'm real good friends with Jay at JLT and I'll send him a email tonight to get his opion as well!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I would guess that the cabon fiber bent tube is better for flow. reason being is that the air will follow the curvature of the tube better. With the stright pipe and bent elbow you have the pipe ending maybe 1/2" inside the rubber elbow, then it bends. Because of your HP levels, I would say that the abrupt expansion as well as the bend it may not be as effective. The bent CF tube will flow the air better around that bend being smooth, then your expansion is on a straight line....if that makes any sense.

If this was someone with a stock 2V I would give them a slap on the back of the head LOL Since it woudn't matter.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
mfj
Banned

Thanks for the responses guys. Tim, I would LOVE to hear what Jay has to say. I have never seen any of their intakes like the last one that I showed. All of them have been like yours, with the rubber elbow and just a straight tube. I am wondering what Jay's opinion is on the "new" design?
And just for the record, I prefer to keep my filter under the hood, not in the fender.

Last edited by mfj; 01-10-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ I might even call him after work!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

How good are you with fiberglass?? Mold your own out of that green foam blocks they use at the bottom of flower bouquets then glass over it, Pour some alcohol inside/chip it away the foam and VOILA! Custom intake to your liking! lol
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by smitty2919
How good are you with fiberglass?? Mold your own out of that green foam blocks they use at the bottom of flower bouquets then glass over it, Pour some alcohol inside/chip it away the foam and VOILA! Custom intake to your liking! lol
**** fiberglass, lol... I'd have a custom aluminum intake fabricated for me before I would ever mess with fiberglass. I just like to keep it simple, so JLT carbon fiber is what I am thinking right now...
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Ahahaha fair enough. Let us know how your numbers turn out. You got me curious how what seems to be a simple change will make any difference.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

..Got home late tonight...just sent Jay an email!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by Timspony
..Got home late tonight...just sent Jay an email!
Hey thanks man, I appreciate that...

Quick Reply: Timspony, this is for you... JLT intake tube argument