SVT Forums

Bama Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
djervin
1st Gear Member

Well, I ordered an SCT hand held from AM last night with the Bama tuning. I will let everyone know my thoughts once I get everything installed. I also purchased a 2.81" pulley, 100mm idler and belt, so I am hoping that there is a little difference. I will let you guys know, may just start my own thread with the outcome....
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Should be really cool. Let us know how it works out when you get it all installed... enjoy!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
ya thats just a basic tune all your doing is telling the car to do something and its the same parameters for each car...crappy dyno tuners all they do add alittle timing and adjust a/f good dyno guys go and adjust at each RPM adjust the car at each rpm with how the car acts so thats a true dyno tune is everything

granted your tune will make a diff of course and there may not be any change at all or very little if you got to some shotty dyno but when you go to a good one and he completely tunes it then thats when youll see the diff....and you know as much as i do that every car is diff...some cars may have an almost perfect powerband and wont get much gain from a dyno and some will look like a 3 yr old drawing a straight line

all im sayin here is a dyno tune is the ultimate tune...if your on a budget mail in is good unless you have a FI car and i would say scrap a mail in
I'm gonna respectfully disagree. While I think there's a huge value in dyno tuning, I can tell you I've sent mail order tunes that have schooled dyno tunes on many occasions. Keeping it just about Cobra's, I have a buddy with a 3.4L Whipple out in Arizona. It was pullied down to 19 psi, had a twin in-tank GT supercar pump set up and fore precision hat, 6an line, no check valve, CPR rails and 60#'s. I sent him a base file, made on change based off of his part throttle logs and he went to the dyno. He shot me back the results. 619RWHP SAE corrected 11.7 air/fuel ratio flat as could be... WOT datalogs looked beautiful.

It all depends on who the mail order tunes come from...
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

no your right mail tunes can be great and like you said depending who it comes from...but its just a statistics game of who did the mail in and who is your dyno tuner...and ya i agree that a handful of cars you can do an amazing tune and itll be great!! but when you have a car that has a small or even large "blip" as a certain rpm you can see that or make changes without somehow gettin a data log... so lets say you do a mail order tune on a car and the power jumps alittle then you take it and put it on a dyno and you tune it you cant tell me you wont get more power and give it a more power and a more healthy power band.... to me its just how cars out there have issues with them with the fuel pump injecters etc etc and a mail in tune cant see that unless you get a data log...so in saying that thats why i would always take a FI car with a handful of mods or a higher hp car to a dyno...my old 01 cobra i had a mail in and it was from a very very reputable guy and it made a great diff and i was happy but if i did that to my car right now i would be afraid that somewhere its leaning out but idk cause i have a mail in tune....in tuning my car it took 6hrs to tune and prolly 20 some pulls because of the reaction time in fuel pump kb bap and etc...

so in conclusion lol ....i agree and i disagree with you just for the fact of the unknown scares me!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I wouldn"t spend the money on ANY mail order tune. Yes you may feel a difference, but that's becasue stock tunes suck. Unless you have a SC just put on and you need something quick to get it safely to a dyno, then sure run a email tune.

But for the sole reason that every car is different, an dyno tune > email tune. I've had my tuner say when I was looking into getting my 04 GT dynoed (o/r x, magnapack CB, 75mm tb/plenum) that LUCKY GT owners see 15 hp MAX on a basic stock car. And that the 99-04 GT are "finicky" in terms of gains.

More realistically you see maybe 5hp. When I bought my GT, it came with a Diablo handheld with a "race tune"...I picked up 3hp and 5 tq between stock and the canned tune. I know it's not SCT, but just because it's SCT doesn't mean you will see 10hp+ gains. So that diablo new went for maybe what $400 ish? So $400 for 3 hp and 5tq? Eh...

Email tunes are setup to still be safe with the mods you tell them. On a dyno the tuner can push it more to see more gains when he has the car at his disposal.

I don't mean to shut-down Chris Rose as he is a stand up guy that helped one of my buddies out when he had a problem with the SCT handheld and Bama tune on his S197, but I would personally much rather get a used SCT and have a tune go at it with my car. Save money on a new handheld and put it toward a dyno tune.

Last edited by smitty2919; 03-09-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I just don't agree with that. I've offered many times for people to go get a car dyno tuned and then bring their car here and compare it to our mail order tune. We'll pay for everything if we can video the whole thing. I'd want to do it on a un-molested... say... 3v GT or something... basic bolt-ons. What 90% of the community has, not S/Ced (which is when you start looking into dyno tuning). I can guarantee our mail-order file will outperform most dyno tunes and our datalog will be a ton cleaner. This is simply because we've done thousands of them.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Lol with that offer I'm surprised no one has taken you up for it.....
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

the main point ive been tryin to make and what you just said it when you get into the upper hp range or FI thats when we NEED to go to a dyno so you can actually see whats going on with the car and not guess and hope it dont blow...

but to say that your better then most dyno tunes is a game of statistics...lets say theres 10 companys that do mail orders and your top 2 well theres prolly 50 dyno tuner around and 25 of them are just dummies using the software given to them and not actually tuning it the only do what the software tells them to...therefore your statistic is correct cause they have no idea how to tune a car and you do so ya yours will be as good or better

lets say im a dyno tuner i can can gaurentee you right now that my dyno tune is better then most mail order tunes...that can be an accurate statement cause theres only 2 mail order guys and they suck...also i can say my dyno is better then your mail order cause i had a car that had many problems and was jumping all over the board and with viewing data we were able to fix it

mail orders can be good but are limited to good cars with basic mods that dont have a bunch of stuff thrown together...such as the meth kit on my car you would have no idea how much it richens my car with it spraying without logs....there are endless scenarios that make your tune better or good and theres endless that make mine better
Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I don't think S/C you NEED to go dyno tuned. I've done remote S/C tunes actually to fix botched dyno tunes. I think you NEED to go with an experienced tuner with F/I whether it's done via mail-order or not.

There's about 10 dyno tuners in the whole country I'd allow to tune my car because I know that they'd have the same level of OCD when it comes to precision calibrations. The way that our mail-order tunes are set up, again... I would challenge most dyno tunes up against it.

The offer will be on the table until someone does it. We'll pay expenses as long as we can film it all and show it off. Everyone will be very surprised. We have enough experience with the platform where I can GUARANTEE we know how to better control timing, vct and drive-by-wire than your local dyno tuner who's done say... 20 Mustangs in the last year (not literally YOURS but like everyone reading). I've been tuning for 7 years and Mike Wilson for over 10. We've got literally somewhere near 10,000 of our files out there, and possibly more. That number isn't meant to impress, I'm just saying... we know are way around a Ford PCM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
06z28eater
3rd Gear Member

the way i see it is this, guys like chris and rick@amazon and eric brooks have done THOUSANDS of tunes while a local shop has done hundreds. they have seen every single combo you can think of. in my 06, full bolt ons and cams i have a email tune from brooksspeed, i sent him a few datalogs, i dunno maybe 6 or so, and it helped clean it up alot. i'd like to try a tune from chris soon so we will see.

im debating getting a tune for my 03 cobra as soon as the upper pulley goes on also.

Quick Reply: Bama Tunes