SVT Forums

BBK problem / Cooling mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Ez Does it

Default BBK problem / Cooling mod

Hi i have a 2001 svt cobra 4v motor that i just had built. i have a 4.9 stroker kit, Ford Gt supercharger cams, 03 cobra heads, 03 cobra fuel tank and pump and 39 pound injectors. Stronger Springs in the heads as well. i was told that the BBK long tube headers cause a problem due to the restricted pipe that has to clear the steering shaft. i have heard from 2 different companies one saying it cause to much back pressure in #7 cylinder cause detination causing a lot of heat. which apparently is already a problem for these motors on #7 cylinder due to cooling issues. The other company says they run them on a lot of vehicles and never have any issues.Now i already had bought the BBk before i knew about this and was wondering if it is that big of an issue? Also i found a wicked cooling mod for my 03 heads. Now the only thing is will it work if i dont have 03 components other then the heads. this is the Mod. http://www.evenflowcooling.com/Cobrakit.html Now it "T's" up with upper rad hose but 03 set up looks different. What is your guyz opinion on the header and cooling mod?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i think you should go ahead and get the head cooling mod if your worried about it cooling yes these cars have some issues with that cylinder but normally doesnt affect 99-01 mostly because it doesnt have the extra power meaning extra heat....as far as bbk causin detenation i have never ever heard that about them i have put on a few bbk lt headers and they are a big big pain to put on cause of the fitment on the motor and trying to get all the bolts in...as far as the streering it fit right in perfectly...bbk isnt a bad product but it isnt a great product...one of the biggest concerns with it is if your tranny or clutch goes bye bye then you have to take your headers off to take the tranny down...i would go with kooks ARH or even bassani before id put bbk on....but that all depends on the deepness of your pocket........also the fitment of the cooling mod should still fit right up there maybe alittle tweaking but not to much
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Ez Does it

Thanks you very much for the info
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

....I'd do the HCM....peace of mind thing!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

blackvenom, are you saying you won't have to drop the headers with the other brand of headers when you replace clutch, trans, etc?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

yes correct ARH and kooks are true longtubes and bassani is like optimum length which is basically 2 in shorter and you have to use a bassani midpipe but i would dare to say that its the easiest header set up cause there all indivual tubes that you put together into a collecter plus its a good company also...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Thats good to know, on our cars the header installation is a real pain, and i really don't want to be doing it over and over. Can you drop the engine in with the headers already installed? I think the Strut towers are whats in the way when the engine is in the car.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i am pretty sure that you can do it with them already installed....i have done it 2 ways first was basically disconnect everything and raise it like a foot so that makes me think you can put it in attached its just gonna be the hard angles your gonna put on the motor to get the longtubes down.....and the second way which is by far the best and easiest is support the motor and drop the K member off and lower the motor about 6 inches and its pretty easy access there...just gotta have the right equipment to do it
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

ok, thanks for the info, i am just pulling my engine and slidding a MMR 4.75 stroker in it, and figured it'd be best to have the headers on then since they are so hard. I'm going to throw the BBK idea out now, and get the good stuff.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

oh sweet and ya you get what you pay for the BBK ones are a good cheap setup...nothing wrong with it just makes alot more work and for a higher hp S/C car your tranny and clutch takes alot of abuse and more then lickly will need changed a few 1k after your setup is in depending on the clutch in it of course

Quick Reply: BBK problem / Cooling mod