SVT Forums

'96 cobra engine pull

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Question '96 cobra engine pull

I'm pulling my first engine and i'm looking for some help. My dad who has worked on alot of old cars will be there of course, but this new stuff he isn't familir with. I am hoping someone can take the time and help me with pulling this engine. I'm not expecting a step by step or anything, but as much info as of the process would be a huge help. Any do's and don't's from experience could save me alot of time. Mainly doing alone with and old school mechanic pointing fingers.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

lol sounds like your in for alot of fun well the first and formost the biggest decision you will have to make is pull this from the top or drop it out the bottom...ive done a handfull of clutches oil pans and longtube headers and after working from the top to do a header i decided that i will always work from the bottom from then on!! so im stuck on the bottom idea which means takes off the k member and droppin it out the bottom, but the problem with that is you might be limited with equipment so ill just assume were going from the top lol... its hard to explain step by step what to do...these cars a fairly easy cause everything uses a plugs and there is only one way to put it back! so look at your motor see whats blockin it from coming up and take it off or move it then look at the sides and do the same thing then look at the bottom and do the same thing thats the best way of explaining it man goodluck take it slow and label every single piece bolt nut and plug!!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

ok good, thats helps, everthing plugs in and they only go to one place. There is a ton of SH^t on top of those motors, hoses and wires and a huge cluster. whats the best way to lable, my initial though is like tape and a marker? As far as equipment, what should i need? I'm going to be in a garage with a cherry picker and jacks...how much easier is it to pull from the bottom? My uncle has a lift, he won't be real excited to let me use it, or have my car sitting around over there, but if its 10x easier, i may have to find a way to make it happen. Another quick question, The Lincoln Mark VIII, are they the same B heads as my 96? I mean exacly identical, realize the cams may be different, just the heads themselves.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
ok good, thats helps, everthing plugs in and they only go to one place. There is a ton of SH^t on top of those motors, hoses and wires and a huge cluster. whats the best way to lable, my initial though is like tape and a marker? As far as equipment, what should i need? I'm going to be in a garage with a cherry picker and jacks...how much easier is it to pull from the bottom? My uncle has a lift, he won't be real excited to let me use it, or have my car sitting around over there, but if its 10x easier, i may have to find a way to make it happen. Another quick question, The Lincoln Mark VIII, are they the same B heads as my 96? I mean exacly identical, realize the cams may be different, just the heads themselves.
It's really not that hard to pull the engine IMO. I can do it in 4 hours. So, here is a basic step by step. Also, the mark VIII heads from 97-98 years are identical. The 93-96 heads are almost identical except for the fact that the valves are shrouded, makes no difference really.

1. Open drain on the the radiator and drain the fluid. Same for the oil.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Disconnect all wiring on top. I wouldn't worry so much about labeling as everything has a specific plug.
4. Disconnect the fuel lines, vacuum lines and the throttle cable
5. Remove the A/C compressor and the Power steering. You can leave both hooked up, just set them aside.
6. Remove the radiator and fan.
7. Remove the starter.
8. Disconnect the exhaust mid pipe from the manifolds and the exhaust going back and get it out of the way.
9. Remove the bellhousing bolts.
10. Remove the driveshaft.
11. Support the transmission with a jack, then remove the crossmember and slide the transmission away from the engine.
12. Remove the motor mount nuts and lift the engine out.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:06 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Thanks jc316, will i have to have any special tools that you know of, thinking for removing the a/c compressor, like a puller or anything, and 4 hours isn't to bad. I haven't head anything about removing the starter and radiator/fan, this a MUST? i assume for clearance.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

no there is no special tools...as long as you have a nice garage full of a diff assortment of sockets from deepwell to short to 1/2 in drive to 3/8 in drive....the need for an assortment is just so you can fit it into tight places and such....actually you do need one too and its for reinstallation its the clutch alignment tool i think you can just order it from any parts store or americanmuscle has it i know!!

i still say label dude just so you know...i would just do the most labeling on bolts and nuts there stil hard to get mixed up but it just makes it easier lol

i have faith you can do it lol it wont be hard
Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
Thanks jc316, will i have to have any special tools that you know of, thinking for removing the a/c compressor, like a puller or anything, and 4 hours isn't to bad. I haven't head anything about removing the starter and radiator/fan, this a MUST? i assume for clearance.
The compressor is held on by 4 10MM bolts. Yeah, the starter is a must because it's bolted on to the transmission from the engine side, just like a bellhousing bolt. Removing the radiator and fan isn't a MUST, but man it takes all of 10 minutes and it's completely worth it.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

ok guys thanks, and a clutch alignment tool... ok, would a local autopat store have it you think? and is it partial to mustang or ford? and a question about an inline fuel pump, is an inline working with an in tank, or it is taking the place of it. Imy 255lph in tank pump isn't going to do, people say go aeromotive, but that kit is like 2300. lota cash to scrape.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya a local place should have it they do sell it when you buy a clutch from an auto parts store so i can guess they have them individually....no whenever you change a clutch or drop the tranny you need to align the clutch back up
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

some other things to remember. There is a ground strap on the the driver side motor mount remember to disconnect and reconnect it.
And if you are using a cherry picker watch the front bumper because it is easy to rub the cylinder on it while pulling the engine

Quick Reply: '96 cobra engine pull