SVT Forums

New SVT owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default New SVT owner

Hey guys i am getting a 2003 svt cobra friday i already bought it and am picking it up. Its shadow grey but since i work in a body shop i am prob going to paint it asap to competition orange. It has 81000 miles on it unfortunetly but the owner took really good care of it. it has a few mods like jlt cold air, flowmasters, throttle body, and a tuner. I currently own a 2006 v6 mustang that i have done at least $6000 to it not including all the paint and body labor i have done my sewlf but i was wondering what should i do for a maintenance check. Like what oils to use if royal purple is good, just things i need to know about the svt? Im overall excited
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Idk why people think 81k is a lot of miles for a car thats 8 years old...

anyway.

Head cooling mod, IRS brace, pulley swap. have fun.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

well im used to 51,000 but still i know its a strong car. i keep reading on the pulley swap what exactly is that?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

You put a smaller pulley on the super charger which makes it spin faster and make more boost. You will need a tune to make it run correctly and not run lean.

By the way, don't paint it. If you don't like the color, don't buy it. You can find one the color you want without too much trouble. But no matter what you do, the VIN will always show the gray as the factory color. Not to mention that to properly change the color and do it in a way that nobody would ever know, you would have to disassemble the entire car and paint all of it... including the engine and trans, all of the interior, lights, bumpers, etc. Even if you did do it right and completely tear it down, it would be worth less than if you left the color alone. The only way I would ever change the color of a car, is if I was adding some multiple color paint scheme.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Where would i get a smaller pully cause all i bought my stuff from is americanmuscle. And it has a sct tuner so i would think i could use that but i dunno with thses cobras.

You have a god point on the color and i thats what i do for a living is paint and body so im used to that but that was what i thought with the vin... it just wouldnt be original. It just would be another repainted car and the best paint EVER is factory paint. Good point though. I love the orange but the gray isnt to bad i never been to picky on colors
Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

I agree, don't repaint the car.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

also agree on dont repaint haha drive it for a few months and see how it is do your mods and paint last IMO

american muscle is a very good site along with lethalperformance stangmods and a few others...yes do a regular tune up royal purple isnt need but atleast mobil one!!

another thing that is strongly over looked is the tune the tune should be part of any newly purchased cars tune up...i dont trust anyones print off or whatever they say i want to see it for my own to know that my car wont blow up...first thing i did was take mine to the tuner found out it was running so incredible rich you could smell gas in my oil so i had to unplug the meth and such for a few months till i saved for tune and got it tuned added another 50+ hp on conservative street tune and 93 octane

a pulley is prolly the best mod you could do cause it rreally takes full advantage of that lovely supercharger you have on there

first off find you a good dyno tuner around you even if you have to drive an hour and go watch him do some cars talk with him and go from there!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Congrats!! ....Post a few pics of the CO Cobra!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

I had a 91 5.0 LX years back and I ran it to 161k miles it was still out running things I pulled up beside. I don't worry about the miles very much as long as I can tell the car had been taken care of but that's me. I would order a kenne bell for it be the first thing I would do come income tax time.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good to me. I know if the motor is just kept good it at least will be ok. I have a 1990 5.0 with 94000 miles on it and it runs strong and i have a 2006 4.0 that has 72000 and runs like a champ so i will make this cobra run good.

BlackVenom01- thank you for the heads up on the tune, i will check on it. I pick the car up tomorrow and i will be an official owner of a svt cobra.

Timspony- Thank you ha if i paint it ... thats IF i will, i will post.

Quick Reply: New SVT owner