SVT Forums

99 vs 2001 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM
TripHeath

Default 99 vs 2001 Cobra

I have had a bunch of Mustangs through my life(my first car and my last car), so I am not a total noob, and I am getting ready to decide on my next fun weekend car....Vert Cobra!
I am not going racing, but love a strong ride(so I am not holding out for a terminator)but after doing some research online, I thought I would come get some feedback of pros and cons of these 2 models(I have found a couple of low miles/good deals, 2001 w/ 39k for $14.5k, and a 99 w/ 70k for 12.9k)......def gonna have a good mech check it before buying, but wanted to make sure I had as much info as possible...I know therer was a HP issue on the 99s that was fixed for the 2001 model(new comp chip, exhaust mods?)...but did they recall the 99s and fix those too, and how can I tell for sure if it was done.....can I look that up in a ford database somewhere.......plus there was a block change in these years and have heard rumors the TESKID was better than the WAP...I know most of the visual differences between the model ......but I am looking for real world feedback from guys who love their Cobras......I know I prob cant go wrong with either as long as it has no issues......thanks.......Trip
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Its TEKSID

Yes it is a stronger block over the WAP block do to vein design.
Rumor has it ...It could handle 1000+ HP

As for the Cobras go.Theyre both nice and not too much differants.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
TripHeath

the 99 had nothing in its carfax about the "fix" but had tons of oil changes etc... from the dealer.......how can I find out for sure if it has been fixed, seems to run great..........very nice interior, but has alot of ext dings and such.....

the 01 had an extensive carfax, with pinion seals being replaced early in life, totally new AC system and lots of dealer oil/service....BBS rims(with a little rash)Borla and CAI and new Khumos..... had a studder the last time I romped it, but it was so low on gas I think that may have been the prob....plus the top isnt as easy to latch as most...not thrilled about that, but it has never had a wreck reported and only has 39K miles on it.......@ $14.5k seems like a good deal......
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TripHeath
the 99 had nothing in its carfax about the "fix" but had tons of oil changes etc... from the dealer.......how can I find out for sure if it has been fixed, seems to run great..........very nice interior, but has alot of ext dings and such.....

the 01 had an extensive carfax, with pinion seals being replaced early in life, totally new AC system and lots of dealer oil/service....BBS rims(with a little rash)Borla and CAI and new Khumos..... had a studder the last time I romped it, but it was so low on gas I think that may have been the prob....plus the top isnt as easy to latch as most...not thrilled about that, but it has never had a wreck reported and only has 39K miles on it.......@ $14.5k seems like a good deal......
Sounds like the 99 is nicer.
As for the recall on intake, you would have to have a Ford Dealer look up the vin # to see if recall was done.
Im assuming it would be listed on carfax if oil changes where.
So my guess it hasnt been done yet but its no cost to you if you buy the car.

I believe recall includes ..New intake and heads
Old 10-07-2011, 03:37 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

All recalled 99s will have either a black or green dot that was inked onto the lower intake that is clearly visible from the top.

The 99s were recalled due to a faulty intake design/restriction, and faulty cattalyatic coverter design.

Now having owned a 99 I'd say go with the 01, much better car for the same price. The 01s have:

Micro swade trimed seats
Cobra embroyed on seats
T3450 transmission (better than the T-45 that was prone to syncros failure)
COBRA rear bumper
01 style wing (I personally like the 99 when relocated to the rear of the trunk better)

That's the main differnces, lots of small things but those are the ones that stick out. Just look at the pics of a 99 and an 01 and you can really tell, especially on the inside.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM
TripHeath

I got the 01 and it is almost perfect,,,,,only 39K and every oil change or service documented at the dealer...local guy has had it sitting in his garage most of its life......let the mods begin....
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Attaboy. I had an 01 and loved it. I'm betting you will too...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TripHeath
I got the 01 and it is almost perfect,,,,,only 39K and every oil change or service documented at the dealer...local guy has had it sitting in his garage most of its life......let the mods begin....
Congrat !!!! Im sure you will the Snake
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

I think 14K is way too high for the 01. I know it has low miles but I wouldn't have paid a dime over 12K.

If you like it then great and enjoy.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 PM
TripHeath

Got them down to 13.5K...and remember its a vert.....only 3000 made that year I think, and lots of those are prob ragged out or wrecked...so after looking at many new edges this was a great deal on this cherry......nothing else even compared...........

Quick Reply: 99 vs 2001 Cobra