SVT Forums

Up grading questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Talking Up grading questions

i no longer drive my coba for the time being because the battery light is on and stays on just as the problem i last posted. So i dont think it helps that the previous owner put a walmart battery in my car 1 1/2 years ago. So i decided to by the 130 amp alternator and a good batt. That solves that problem but when i checked my brakes (which my dumb self should have done before buying it) they are a finger nails length to being gone. My main questions are

1) There are two different kinds of brakes on AM. There are ceramic brakes for daily driving but there are some for track and street. Should i get the track and street ones just for the power and if i wanted to go on a track?

2) Also why i was at it i wonted to get upgraded rotors, i see drilled and slotted, slotted, and one other one on AM. What do you guys think of which one to get or which one is best?

Thank you
Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

pads and rotors arent that big of a deal to be worried about the cross drilled i think are for street so that you can do mulitple hard stops and it cools itself the slotted are bigger for the strip so you can do one really hard stop without losing braking power from heat

ceramic are supposed to be the best with the least dust but are prone to cracking from what i have seen auto parts store pads are good enough you dont need to spend the extra money at AM for pads in my opinion

also you better do rotors if your pads are that low...if not you will destroy your pads and spend double the money!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
ceramic are supposed to be the best with the least dust but are prone to cracking from what i have seen auto parts store pads are good enough you dont need to spend the extra money at AM for pads in my opinion
I can't speak to the rest of it, but I went ceramic specifically for reduced brake dust, and I love it. The wheels stay shiny 10x longer than before. I can only hope these last as long as regular pads and don't crack or anything. But so far I am very pleased with the lack of brake dust...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Blackvenom- I wanted to get rotors because of the reason that the brakes are so low. So i wanted to upgrade while i was at it. I dunno which to pick out of it, the slotted, or the drilled. I just wanted the track and street pads with drilled rotors just in case i need a good stop or decide to drag it.

Schmalgar- I did get the ceramic pads or my s197 and it was an amazing change, it stopped way better than my cobra at 35 -45 mph. And they do keep those rims clean. But i wash my car so much that i dont mind the little bit of a higher dust option for more stopping power.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i wasnt saying dont get rotors...you def need rotors since your pads are so low and yes the cross drilled and slotted do help with stopping...i would try to find some that are both...i have them on my car but idk where the previous owner got them from...most likely baer or brembo
Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

auto parts stores make ceramic pads also but cheaper...i get ceramic myself to reduce the dust.. just dont let them get that low again thats when it starts doing damage
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I didnt want them this low but i just bought the car about 1 1/2 months ago. But i dont mind spending the money for some good good good brakes and rotors. Ill see what i can do with some other websites.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Dont get Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They do not improve stopping this has been proven and discussed countless times. Stay away from cross drilled they are prone to cracking under hard conditions if you must $ extra for pretty carvings in your rotors get slotted but not cross drilled. Most people that use there cars in competition use Brembo Blanks. Spend your $ on Good brakes and Brake lines for the best upgrade
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

So let me get this straight? If i bought drilled and slotted rotors they would just crap out on me? Doesnt at least slotted rotors help cool the brakes? If not anything else.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The Brembo brakes are most often seen on Indy and Forumlua 1 so you know you are in good hands. Steeda offers a nice set up Front Brake Kit for your 03 Cobra.

Give us a call if we can answer any of your questions or use our new online chat feature. We are fast to answer and you will definitly get the answers you are looking for.

http://www.steeda.com/store/brembo-f...d-mustang.html

We also have this option:

http://www.steeda.com/store/wilwood-...d-mustang.html

Once again give us a call or instant message us with any questions. Answers do not cost you a penny, just savings in the in the long run.