SVT Forums

BYE BYE new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Angry BYE BYE new engine...

I just finished putting a new forged motor in one of my cars, it ran really smoothly then after about fifteen minutes it started to run rough so I shut it off to check things out. I tried to start it again after thoroughly checking everything, and letting it cool down the engine wouldnt even turn. : ( So I started to tear her down and discovered a nasty little secret... The left side exhaust cam appears to have had a small dent in it that was disguised by sanding the cylinder head so that it would still turn smoothly when I went to buy them. Needless to say once the engine had warmed up the dent in the cam appears to have been cutting into the head creating a horrible snowball down a hill effect cutting more and more aluminum from the head eventually seizing it. Only one journal has any damage, all of the rest appear to be fine. My question is Would any of this aluminum from the journal have gone back down the oil passages to the main + rod bearings? I cannot tear the engine down all the way to check because that would void the shortblocks warranty. When taken down to the shortblock if it turns smoothly should I just try and reassemble with new heads or should I send it back to be fully inspected? It will cost me about a thousand to send it in and have it inspected. I know im trying shortcuts but if theres a good chance at saving another thousand I need to take it. God how I wish I had gotten the heads off the forums instead of from Craigslist... I seem to find all the ****ing scumbags.