SVT Forums

Which Clutch? Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
sprato0604

Question Which Clutch? Help please?

My 01 Cobra needs a new clutch. Its slightly modified, mainly bolt ons for now. I was looking a King Cobras, and spec stage 1 and perhaps 2 clutches. I feel like i could get away with the stage 1, but i have intentions on making my car faster of course. Not to sure which one i should get, looking for a little help from people more experienced than myself. If you recommend a different clutch than the one listed by all means, let me know. Appreciate the help, and i look forward to receiving your input. Thanks for reading, and hopefully some comments.

Car symptoms- clutch catching very high in pedal, done factory reset on pedal, already tightened clutch cable all the way. Also, when taking off clutch is slow to catch and car wont start going faster till i rev it up to about 1500 rpm. So im thinking the clutch is going out. However, no burnt clutch smell or anything. So if you think it is not the clutch due to these symptoms let me know.

sidenote- mileage on car is low, however previous owner drove her like in idiot and wore out the clutch.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully some comments.

2001 Mustang Cobra- 30,000 miles
clutch quadrant cable and adjuster, k&n filter, JBA Headers, Bassani X exhaust system, Ford racing mufflers, Denso spark plugs,Eibach springs front lowered 1.2" rear lowereed 1", Accufab Throttle body w/ true flow pipe MAF, grerolelli COP 60,000 volts, Underdrive pulleys, water pumps, vibration damper, Aluminum drive shaft, Harmonic balancer. If you can help me out or have any recommendations it will be much appreciated thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya def sounds like you need yourself a clutch...i like the spec clutches also...i would recommend the stage 2 i dont think its much more money but it will be good if you add so more hp...i always rather have alittle stronger then just enough

also make sure you change your throwout bearing pilot bearing and if your rear main seal is moist with oil but not leaking change that too....all of these things are cheap and easy to change when your cars apart...i dont see flywheel either but change that too you can sometimes get them turned but that makes them more liable for hot spots so i would just get a new one if it were me

lastly make sure you get a ford racing throwout bearing all others are cheap crap that break easily

hope this helps man
Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Centerforce DF here.....
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 PM
sprato0604

i will be getting a new flywheel too, probably an aluminum one. right now i have it narrowed down to the specs stage 2 or 2+. or the centerforce df

thanks for the help
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
sprato0604

just so ya know- went with the spec stage 2, spec aluminum flywheel, ford racing throwout bearing, ford racing roller pilot bearing, and a maximum mortorsports high performance clutch cable.

pretty sure that is everything i would need. let me know if you recommend anything else. thanks for the help again.

ill be sure to let you know how she feels after the new clutch is in.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

sounds great man!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Let us know how that Spec II clutch is....
Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sprato0604
just so ya know- went with the spec stage 2, spec aluminum flywheel, ford racing throwout bearing, ford racing roller pilot bearing, and a maximum mortorsports high performance clutch cable.

pretty sure that is everything i would need. let me know if you recommend anything else. thanks for the help again.

ill be sure to let you know how she feels after the new clutch is in.
Check the pivot ball and fork for wear.
Other than that sounds good.

Im putting a new clutch in my Cobra in 2 weeks.
I went with...King Cobra Clutch (upr) Billet Steel FR flywheel,FR TB and Pilot,New FR Fork,OEM pivot ball,may replace cable with FR adjustable.

Let us know how install goes OP.

GL
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 AM
sprato0604

Default if it can go wrong, it will

Well, this clutch replacement was an absolute nightmare. There was little to no room to reach every part, but hey, that happens. I had some hard to reach bolts that did not want to break lose, oh well, all part of it.

However, once i finally had her apart, i put the ford racing pilot bearing in, popped the flywheel and clutch on, and the trans wouldnt fit. Ended up being the ford racing pilot bearing, so i ripped it out and used the one that came with the spec clutch kit. It worked just fine. I wrestled with parts here and there, but all of that happens, im not a professional. Just a gear head that knows a thing or two.

Also, trans was a pita to install, and there is a bracket that holds the o2 sensor connectors in place that continuously got in the way, common sense finally hit and i took it off. Made trans a lot easier.

Used ford racing throwout bearing, possible problem ( continue reading for nasty symptoms)

Here is my BIG current problems-

At first the car wouldn't even go into gear when started, i would go to it in gear and the clutch would catch as i started putting it in and she would start moving. Im hoping this is the clutch cable causing this, because i did not put the new one on yet. We ended up jerry rigging it so it would catch later as a temporary fix, then this happened..

There is a nasty grinding feel and a awful sound when the clutch starts to engage. It sounds like old tire rods and bad power steering trying to turn all the way. (hopefully you get what im trying to describe). It is just a awful sound.

There is also a chattering sound too. not to sure if this is an exhaust thing or the same part as above. I felt like i had very minor exhaust chatter before i started this, but nothing even close to this.

When the clutch is not in gauged there is a humming sound that annoys the heck out of me. This problem was present before the clutch replacement.

Clearly i have a nightmare here on my hands. Hopefully i was specific enough and someone can help with this one. Desperate need of advice.

Thank you for reading and hopefully commenting
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 AM
sprato0604

oh, almost forgot.. one more thing.. There is absolutely no play on the clutch pedal right now.. so perhaps my problem is just the clutch cable needs to be replaced because it is to tight. (i have the firewall adjusted and i tried adjusting it, it wasnt enough which is why i jerry rigged it at the clutch fork, i ended up putting about half an inch of washers before i could get here to slide into gear and not actually move while in the process..

sorry about the long post

Quick Reply: Which Clutch? Help please?