Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

New 2015 Manual Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 PM
15Mustang

So, I was offered a rebuilt transmission (since my brand new car is under warranty). Anyone have experience with rebuilt transmissions? Do they last? A certified mechanic I talked to recommended against them.

Last edited by 15Mustang; 03-03-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I'm fine with Ford authorized remans under some circumstances,sometimes the best that one can do as a replacement part,but you just bought a new car that has a new transmission.A 2015 with that mileage should be getting a brand new transmission,not a reman,especially with apparent bad behavior of the mechanics.A reman may fulfill their warranty obligations,but your documented mileage into and out of the shop,makes a stronger case for you.

Ford Motor Company-these sorts of stories put me off on the purchase of a new Mustang.I'll save myself some potential grief and I'll just keep driving my old one,or my other car that has superior quality and service,my 2014 Honda Accord.

btw,I had Ford install a reman transmission put in my Taurus wagon a few years ago to the tune of about $3500.If I knew that they would essentially destroy the ball joints by forking them apart and damaging the rubber,I wouldn't have had it done.The car was a 2002,but the ball joints were less than a year old,and fine when it went into the shop.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:14 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 15Mustang
So, I was offered a rebuilt transmission (since my brand new car is under warranty). Anyone have experience with rebuilt transmissions? Do they last? A certified Ford mechanic I talked to recommended against them.

Reman units can be even better than the original. think of it this way. A new unit gets made and inspected with current level parts. A reman unit got inspected when it was built. Inspected again before rebuilding begins and then inspected yet again after it is rebuilt. Remans also get all the latest available level parts in them. Same warranty as a new unit as well. A new unit can always fail but at least with a reman that defect in the new unit already caused a failure and then gets corrected. Nothing can negate poor installation or poor operating conditions but new vs. reman from a part stand point. I will take a reman.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by topangler25
Reman units can be even better than the original. think of it this way. A new unit gets made and inspected with current level parts. A reman unit got inspected when it was built. Inspected again before rebuilding begins and then inspected yet again after it is rebuilt. Remans also get all the latest available level parts in them. Same warranty as a new unit as well. A new unit can always fail but at least with a reman that defect in the new unit already caused a failure and then gets corrected. Nothing can negate poor installation or poor operating conditions but new vs. reman from a part stand point. I will take a reman.
On older cars,cars with higher miles,I might agree with you,however this is a brand new 2015 car-it should have current level parts already.In my opinion,given the ultra low miles,only a new one will put the car back to where it was.No matter how thorough a reman,it will still have some used parts in it,of unknown mileage,etc.
Years ago,we had a 91 Taurus.That car was known for having a design defect in the transmission.Before Ford extended the warranty on the transmissions,we had it rebuilt by a local shop.It was never right.We then had Ford install a reman which had the upgrades,and the car was fine for the next 80k,until we sold it.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:20 AM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by Camster
I'm fine with Ford authorized remans under some circumstances,sometimes the best that one can do as a replacement part,but you just bought a new car that has a new transmission.A 2015 with that mileage should be getting a brand new transmission,not a reman,especially with apparent bad behavior of the mechanics.A reman may fulfill their warranty obligations,but your documented mileage into and out of the shop,makes a stronger case for you.

Ford Motor Company-these sorts of stories put me off on the purchase of a new Mustang.I'll save myself some potential grief and I'll just keep driving my old one,or my other car that has superior quality and service,my 2014 Honda Accord.

btw,I had Ford install a reman transmission put in my Taurus wagon a few years ago to the tune of about $3500.If I knew that they would essentially destroy the ball joints by forking them apart and damaging the rubber,I wouldn't have had it done.The car was a 2002,but the ball joints were less than a year old,and fine when it went into the shop.
I hear you. My advice to everyone. Install a dash cam in the car before leaving it with dealers or anyone else! This whole experience has been a nightmare for me!

I've been a loyal Ford customer for a lot of years, but this could be my last one depending on outcome. Hopefully Ford will do the right thing, we'll see
Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 AM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by topangler25
I like the mustang in your picture, want to trade
Old 02-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I hope that you send a note to the owner of the dealership.
Word will get out,and this will cost him sales.
At the least,the service manager was negligent in keeping track of where employees and customer's cars were.
In the past,I've come close to buying a new Mustang located elsewhere,and having it transferred to my local dealer for the sale,but I simply couldn't.I knew the odds of the car having a rough 30-50 miles,while driven by the kid that does the car washes,etc were far too great.I've also turned buying cars that were not too distant,as some had close to a 100 miles on them.That's not a new car to me.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 PM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by Camster
I hope that you send a note to the owner of the dealership.
Word will get out,and this will cost him sales.
At the least,the service manager was negligent in keeping track of where employees and customer's cars were.
In the past,I've come close to buying a new Mustang located elsewhere,and having it transferred to my local dealer for the sale,but I simply couldn't.I knew the odds of the car having a rough 30-50 miles,while driven by the kid that does the car washes,etc were far too great.I've also turned buying cars that were not too distant,as some had close to a 100 miles on them.That's not a new car to me.
I agree! Mine had 23 miles when I first drove it.

The dealership Bozard Ford doesn't seem to care much, it's more like to joke to them. And I've been a good customer of theirs for a few years. It might take a news station before someone steps in to do the right thing. Hopefully Ford will do the right thing to help out a loyal long-time customer -> Ford

Last edited by 15Mustang; 06-12-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:45 AM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by Timspony
Good luck .... Deysha will help ease the situation
Thanks, in contact with Ford now. Hopefully Monday will be my lucky day and Ford will do the right thing! Working hard to get it fixed correctly!

I want to thank everyone on the thread for supporting a fellow Mustang owner and long-time Ford owner!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 15Mustang
Thanks, in contact with Ford now. Hopefully Monday will be my lucky day and Ford will do the right thing! Working hard to get it fixed correctly!

I want to thank everyone on the thread for supporting a fellow Mustang owner and long-time Ford owner!
Best of luck.
I've purchased 10 new Fords over the years myself.
It does sound as if you've been as nice as possible.I'm sure that Ford faces abuse warranty work far too often on Mustangs,gets crosseyed with some of the claims,but I think the facts of your case show where the responsibility lies.
I hope that the nice approach works for you.There's a time to be nice-there's also a time to not be so nice.
I also hope that there's another Ford dealership that's not too distant,to handle your work.Forgive the analogy,but sometimes you get in a situation where you have to deal with someone else,as the gears just won't mesh with the first person.

Quick Reply: New 2015 Manual Transmission Problems?