Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Limiting gt350 was a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
viasevenvai

You guys talk like you know the profit margins. I sure don't but the mark up at the dealer is probably not seen by the manufacturer.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildsailor
Ford could have just waited and not offered a 2015 at all. Everyone seemed plenty happy with it being a 2016 MY.
what difference does it make? it's like bitching that your date showed up an hour early.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jz78817
what difference does it make? it's like bitching that your date showed up an hour early.
LOL right?

Anyways, The GT350, like all of the low volume production models of the Mustang is not meant to be a commodity. They are meant to be exclusive or halo cars (as mentioned previously) like the BMW M series, the Mercedes SMG/AMG series, the Dodge Hellcat, the Vette ZR1 models, etc, etc, etc.

If you commoditize an exclusive item, it loses intrinsic value and therefore becomes run-of-the-mill and ho-hum.

Besides, the highest volume of sales was traditionally on the low end V6 mustangs (a little over 70% iirc). I don't know how the current line up with a 4cyl, v6, and v8 will play out but I can guarantee the V8 sales will never overtake the 4cy/6cyll sales. Initial cost + Insurance + ongoing costs will make sure of that...sooo...take that into consideration, a GT350 will never outsell the Mustang GT just like the GT500 never outsold it.

A bit off topic but my point is, a 2015 GT350 (if you are a collector or are interested in resale value) would theoretically be worth more than a 2016 due to low volume numbers and the year. Catch me in about 20 years when this current gen become classics due to age. That and they (Ford) want to be able to trial run it I'm sure in a small batch of retail cars. the Flat plane is after all "new' release into a production vehicle so who knows what bugs or ghosts in the system there may be. Better to recall a small batch than a few hundred or thousand and tarnish the model plate right out of the gate.

Last edited by Derf00; 04-30-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:19 PM
viasevenvai

Originally Posted by Derf00
LOL right?

Anyways, The GT350, like all of the low volume production models of the Mustang is not meant to be a commodity. They are meant to be exclusive or halo cars (as mentioned previously) like the BMW M series, the Mercedes SMG/AMG series, the Dodge Hellcat, the Vette ZR1 models, etc, etc, etc.

If you commoditize an exclusive item, it loses intrinsic value and therefore becomes run-of-the-mill and ho-hum.

Besides, the highest volume of sales was traditionally on the low end V6 mustangs (a little over 70% iirc). I don't know how the current line up with a 4cyl, v6, and v8 will play out but I can guarantee the V8 sales will never overtake the 4cy/6cyll sales. Initial cost + Insurance + ongoing costs will make sure of that...sooo...take that into consideration, a GT350 will never outsell the Mustang GT just like the GT500 never outsold it.

A bit off topic but my point is, a 2015 GT350 (if you are a collector or are interested in resale value) would theoretically be worth more than a 2016 due to low volume numbers and the year. Catch me in about 20 years when this current gen become classics due to age. That and they (Ford) want to be able to trial run it I'm sure in a small batch of retail cars. the Flat plane is after all "new' release into a production vehicle so who knows what bugs or ghosts in the system there may be. Better to recall a small batch than a few hundred or thousand and tarnish the model plate right out of the gate.
Your whole point rests on the idea that people buy mustangs to collect them. And that the term "ho hum" somehow is quantifiable.

My point is that times are changing. A car like the GT350 needs to exist. To limit sales is a cocky mistake.

Someone also pointed out that "history proves me wrong." I'm saying that history is proving me right. The Ford GT originally priced for 120k is a mistake given the information of today. The profitability of that car was terrible as well. Knowing what we know today of course Ford would go back and charge $180k + for the Ford GT. And limiting the numbers of it would only make matters worse.

If you think someone puts $55,000 into a Mustang as an investment then you don't know how finances work.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default Front Page Coverage

thought we'd let the front page crowd know about this one...
https://mustangforums.com/articles/n...d-mustang-yet/
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by viasevenvai
Your whole point rests on the idea that people buy mustangs to collect them. And that the term "ho hum" somehow is quantifiable.

My point is that times are changing. A car like the GT350 needs to exist. To limit sales is a cocky mistake.
you didn't answer the question: are you planning on buying a GT350?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by viasevenvai

Someone also pointed out that "history proves me wrong." I'm saying that history is proving me right. The Ford GT originally priced for 120k is a mistake given the information of today. The profitability of that car was terrible as well. Knowing what we know today of course Ford would go back and charge $180k + for the Ford GT. And limiting the numbers of it would only make matters worse.

If you think someone puts $55,000 into a Mustang as an investment then you don't know how finances work.
i somehow think that the people who plunked down 120k on a gt, and now are selling them for 500k would say that u know crap about collector cars lmao. these cars arent about profit for ford, same as the gt and the boss 302 laguna seca, and the cobra r, and etc. read up before you TELL everyone how it is. lmao
Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 PM
viasevenvai

Originally Posted by jwog666
i somehow think that the people who plunked down 120k on a gt, and now are selling them for 500k would say that u know crap about collector cars lmao. these cars arent about profit for ford, same as the gt and the boss 302 laguna seca, and the cobra r, and etc. read up before you TELL everyone how it is. lmao
Please understand that I'm saying the environment is different. What worked for the past is not great for today. Tough idea for you ford fans I know.

Ford's stock is not doing well even though everyone plays the "they didn't borrow money" card. Their electric fleet will be growing and transportation will be changing. My debate is about how a drivers car that somehow had the ***** to create an even better sounding internal combustion engine should be sold to the maximum amounts to lay it's mark on history.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 PM
viasevenvai

Originally Posted by jz78817
you didn't answer the question: are you planning on buying a GT350?
Yes, No.

What's the point? If you're saying my view is invalid because I'm not the target market or can't afford it then we're not really talking about much are we?

I obviously am disagreeing with the subject of making the GT350 hard to get.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:15 PM
viasevenvai

And I apologize if I'm not allowing myself to be considered wrong. I think I could be wrong. You can call me wrong but I just disagree so far with everyone's reason/examples.

I'm not mad at being called wrong but I am a little bothered not a single person has agreed with me in the slightest.

Quick Reply: Limiting gt350 was a mistake