Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Post Roush Supercharger Install Blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Default Post Roush Supercharger Install Blues

I need help. In a nutshell, I have a 2015 S550 GT, 6-speed manual, with a recently installed Roush Stage II Supercharger. I've taken the cars to my local drag strip and have completed 15, quarter-mile passes. The bottom line is that my times have only decreased by .4 seconds. Car bogs heavily after launch and varies between 4K of first gear and 4K of second. But pulls very hard at the top of second and through third and fourth.

Best time without super 12.94, best time with super 12.58. Disappointing. Here is some information for consideration and I've attached my best run:

Car Set Up:
-Non Track Pack
-Corsa 3" catback
-Eibach ProKit lowering springs
-MT ET Street R drag radials 305x45x18 (1" taller/1.2" wider than daily tires)
-Steeda Stop-the-Hop complete IRS support kit
-Driveshaft Shop 800HP half shafts
-Roush Stage II 2.3L 727 Kit - installed by well-known local Ford dealer. No dyno on site and used Roush-provided tune.

Strip Conditions:
-Dry, ambient temp 78-91
-Most launches were between 3K and 4K
-Gear shirts during 1/4 mile runs were between 6-7k
-Tires heated 3-5 sec before staging
-When using LC, dropped the clutch quickly

Drive Modes Used:
-Normal / LC @3K, 3.2k, 3.5k, 3.6k
-Normal + TC off / manual launch near 3k, 3.5k, 4K
-Track / LC @3k, 3.2k 3.5k, 4K (best time overall/launched at 4K--also shifted early into second at about 4.5k--didn't bog until second gear and bogging was less severe)
-Track + TC off / manual launch about 3k easing off clutch and easing on accelerator (worst run overall--car lunged off the line and power violently fluctuated when attempting fully acceleration through first gear and into second...pulled out of run since I could not control accelerator)
-other passes were not recorded as bogging was really pronounced

I'm suspecting my tune or I just don't know how to drive it. If you have any experience or expert advice, please share. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Post Roush Supercharger Install Blues-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Stang5v0; 09-02-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:18 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

You'll get it dialed it, just requires some patience.

Is it performance pack? What gears are you running?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You should be racing with TC and advance trac off. Make sure you hold it long enough to turn both off. In my opinion, you are being plagued by a ****ty roush tune and I'm sure you value your warranty therefore would never consider an aftermarket tune. Try to do a 2nd gear burnout to get your wheel speed up, I've had great success with that with DRs on tracks with low traction.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.

Shifty, (cool handle btw) forgot to add, no track pack and 3:55 differential.

Darkmach1, thanks for the great advice! I was able to turn off Advance trac by holding the TC button and pressing the brake until it was disabled. I did some practice launches and slow rolling starts with my street tires. I knew they were going to spin more but I get the bogging issue with and without the DRs. Bottom line is I was able to accelerate all the way thru first and second with no bog! However, when I tried to finesse the accelerator to control wheel spin, I got that fluctuating, bouncy, uncontrolled reaction from the car the same as with Track mode on + TC off. But when I planted it at WOT, RPMs and acceleration increased to redline with no issue even tho it was all expected wheel spin. I'm good with that because I think my DRs will do their job at the strip. But there was so much power that I'm concerned that even the track tires are going to spin.

My plan is to launch it next week at a low RPM with Advance trac off. Once I commit to WOT, I'll keep it foot in it and hang on!

As far as the tune, I stopped by a good performance shop today and the owner has done a few of the S550s will dyno it for evaluation if I want it.him to. But yeah, I have the Roush warranty to think about. So I will keep him on standby it case it happens next week. The main problem here is that the OS Roush used for the tune was not supported by the app he was using on his laptop. So he couldn't read the ECM. He sent an email while I was there to someone he knows the is more of an expert for the Mustang ECMs.

Stay 'tuned' for next weeks E.T. runs. Lol

Last edited by Stang5v0; 09-02-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:05 AM
jc5057
1st Gear Member

I will add to your experience Stang50 I have the roush phase 1 in my 2015 auto with m/t street comp tires on the rear and for the most part they hook good but I do get the bog sometimes as well from 2nd accerlating hard to 3rd and it is not traction control or nannies I agree with darkmach1 is believe it is something in the Roush Tune that is crappy. I don't race at the strip so its nots much of a issue but when warranty runs out I would like a to get a tune for it other then Roush and I bet it will run much better.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:43 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You can go back to the dealer and try to get roush to revise the tune, they will likely give you the run around and you'll end up even more frustrated. Lund can set you up with a tune for that TVS that will have you wondering if you even had a blower on it this whole time. Everyone that goes to him with a roush tune ends up with what they describe to be an entirely different animal.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 AM
jc5057
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
You can go back to the dealer and try to get roush to revise the tune, they will likely give you the run around and you'll end up even more frustrated. Lund can set you up with a tune for that TVS that will have you wondering if you even had a blower on it this whole time. Everyone that goes to him with a roush tune ends up with what they describe to be an entirely different animal.
I have like 20 k miles left and warranty is done. I totally believe what you are saying about the Lund tune with roush tvs I bet it would be world's better. I am almost ready to say f.... it and get the Lund tune NOW
Does Lund send you a tune via email you that upload in a tuner or can you just mail them your pcm to flash ?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:25 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jc5057
I have like 20 k miles left and warranty is done. I totally believe what you are saying about the Lund tune with roush tvs I bet it would be world's better. I am almost ready to say f.... it and get the Lund tune NOW
Does Lund send you a tune via email you that upload in a tuner or can you just mail them your pcm to flash ?
You but an ngauge and it will come with the tune in it. You can buy it from lethal and fill out a sheet with mods and pcm code and the ngauge will ship with you custom tune in it. Or if you're not in a hurry, watch the classifieds at m6g until an ngauge comes up for sale then Lund just emails you the tune, you upload it to the gauge micro SD and then onto the car.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:37 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Two Roush superchargers installed.... zero problems or complaints.... no problems with Ford covering warranties.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 PM
jc5057
1st Gear Member

Just debating on what to but first a better tune then roush or the steeda dual fan triple pass heat exchanger. The heat exchanger roush provided sucks real thin and only one pass and no coolimg fan for it available. I may do Tuesday upgraded heat exchanger first then a lund tune