Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Rear View mirror... Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Condor1970

Default Rear View mirror... Aftermarket?

Ok, here's one for y'all. I installed an aftermarket Gentex Homelink mirror in my wife's Subaru Legacy. I really like it, because it has a compass, and also 3 programmable garage door opener buttons. What I want to know, is if anyone has installed a Homelink mirror in their Mustang. Or, do you know of a mirror that will install in the Mustang that has the garage door opener, without having to get the Premium package, or try to install new visors?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

The Gentex mirrors are universal and of good quality. All you need to do is make sure it's got the proper mounting adapter to fit what Ford puts on the Mustang and then just wire it up according to the installation instructions. I installed one on my 2013 Toyota Rav4 and like you on your Subaru, I really like it. The only thing I did different during the install from what was recommended was, the instructions have you hooking one wire into an "always hot" wire and another wire hooked into an "hot only when the key is on" wire. Doing it this way leaves the homelink active whether the key is on or not. I hooked both wires to the "hot only when the key is on" wire so the homelink is active only when the ignition is on. I prefer it that way because someone breaking into the car can't open the garage and gain easy access to the house. I'd love to be able to rewire the homelink on my 2016 Mustang to function the same way but that hasn't happened yet.