The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

CTS coupe AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default CTS coupe AWD?

on my way to my friends shop the other day, I notice what sounded like a cammed CTS-V at a stop light. He just sat there loping and I threw him a rev.. not sure why, I am missing on two cylinders lol

Light turns green and I lightly launch and he goes with a full out launch screeching the tires! Must have been a few car lengths but I wasn't even trying honestly. Looked really quick off the line and up to 65ish.

I got a chance to talk to him before getting to the shop and found a little info. Turns out to be a 3.6 CTS AWD 6 speed manual trans

He talked about his mods, custom long tube headers, straight pipes, custom tune, cold air intake etc. and other mods. It was pretty impressive but didn't talk about ET's or trap speeds.

He claims to have beat SRT's and 5.0's but not sure if he's just BSing..

I showed him the blower and about the issues I had. He wants to run when I am 100% but only til 80-90 or so. He claims he can take me by a car or two til those speeds..

what do you guys think?? I don't know much about those cars, except that the CTS-V is much faster than me lol

I know the blower will eventually pull on the top top end but does this dude have a chance??

Last edited by stealth_GT; 06-02-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Did he know your car is also awd when he said he thought he could take you until 80-90? I think at best he'll jump out but you'll reel him in during the second gear pull..like 55ish or some **** before 80.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I ran my friend's 3.6 CTS sedan with my wife's 07 G35-S sedan and put a hurting on it from a dig. Once we got past 60 mph he more or less slowed my pull, but he was already a solid 2 cars back just in that short distance. He actually ran it at the track too, ran a 14.5 at 97 or something like that. I'm guessing that newer coupe with a manual trans might be a tad faster. Add those mods and tuning and he may be a hell of a lot quicker, but against your car he doesn't stand a snow ball's chance in hell.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:20 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Did he know your car is also awd when he said he thought he could take you until 80-90? I think at best he'll jump out but you'll reel him in during the second gear pull..like 55ish or some **** before 80.
I told him AWD but not what year, he could have assumed it was an 08 or something because they're actually (much) slower than the 09's+. He claims to beat the AWD's all the time rofl I wouldn't be surprised. The older ones take a lot just to get into the mid 13's and they're slow off the line despite AWD.

I guess looking at both cars side by side.. the porker does not look very fast at all. Just looks big and fat compared to the sculpted lines of the CTS

His advantage might be a better AWD launch due to the manual but I agree that I'll reel him in 2nd gear and just put a hurtin' on him!

unless he's not telling me about something. Could be hiding a stroker kit or other engine work I don't know about.. might be a Caddy, but it's still a GM after all..

Originally Posted by Stone629
I ran my friend's 3.6 CTS sedan with my wife's 07 G35-S sedan and put a hurting on it from a dig. Once we got past 60 mph he more or less slowed my pull, but he was already a solid 2 cars back just in that short distance. He actually ran it at the track too, ran a 14.5 at 97 or something like that. I'm guessing that newer coupe with a manual trans might be a tad faster. Add those mods and tuning and he may be a hell of a lot quicker, but against your car he doesn't stand a snow ball's chance in hell.
Nice kill

I heard those G35's are actually pretty quick! don't they have the 350Z motors as well??

14.5 ain't too shabby for a 3.6 v6 in an heavy coupe but a 13.8 would be much better for that much money lol

I didn't even know those cars came in a manual or they could be modded. Sure looked like a million bucks and sounded like it too. Not sure why he got AWD. Doesn't like it's ever seen a day of snow in it's life!

Pretty sure I'll put a bad hurtin' on him when I get the misfire all cleaned up!

not sure I'd want to race him in the newer ones though lol

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-cadil...#axzz2V51e3JKZ
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Nice kill

I heard those G35's are actually pretty quick! don't they have the 350Z motors as well??

14.5 ain't too shabby for a 3.6 v6 in an heavy coupe but a 13.8 would be much better for that much money lol

I didn't even know those cars came in a manual or they could be modded. Sure looked like a million bucks and sounded like it too. Not sure why he got AWD. Doesn't like it's ever seen a day of snow in it's life!

Pretty sure I'll put a bad hurtin' on him when I get the misfire all cleaned up!

not sure I'd want to race him in the newer ones though lol

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-cadil...#axzz2V51e3JKZ
The 2 door G35s have the crap non-HR 350Z engine. Only G35s that got the 306 horse HR engine was teh 07-08 Sedans. Being a sport model, mine also got 3.73 gears, lighter brakes, etc. Now the G37s are 330 horse cars, even quicker.

Shoot, I bet you would still kill him even with the misfire.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
The 2 door G35s have the crap non-HR 350Z engine. Only G35s that got the 306 horse HR engine was teh 07-08 Sedans. Being a sport model, mine also got 3.73 gears, lighter brakes, etc. Now the G37s are 330 horse cars, even quicker.

Shoot, I bet you would still kill him even with the misfire.
lol shows what I know.. I always thought they all had the souped up 350Z motors

hmmm.. not so sure smoking him right now. My last run of the day last week was a whopping 13.4@100 when the cat died and shocked the valve train (chattering like mad!) not to mention loosening up the inspection plate I didn't close well enough..

if he runs anything near mid 13's, we'd be pretty much even. My car runs like crap now, so he might actually pull like he said.. or about a car or so..

Gonna catch him when it's 100% and see what's up!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

DI 3.6L with those mods still isn't going to make enough to push 4100lbs to your level. That guy is smoking something.

Factory numbers 318hp / 275trq

I would pound him with my weak setup... AWD + your power level... if he ran you right now he might be close... once you get fixed up again not a chance.

Even that newer one you quoted.... 420hp looks good but once again that weight... when you look at the numbers its going to be about as fast as the 6.1L SRT8 cars were.

Last edited by S8ER01Z; 06-03-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol Ditto.. I think my crappy launch at the light plus him beating other Chargers before (most older ones run 14.2 +/- with mild mods) makes him over confident
Even some SRT's just spin the tires off the line.

Sucks about boost.. when it runs right, it runs amazing! When somethings wrong, there's pretty much no power. I would have just ran him but I just got new cats and a bad misfire. Didn't feel like messing it up!

I went snooping into the CTS forums and lurked on the 2008-2012 CTS performance modifications site and they got some interesting builds over there.

They have forged pistons, built heads, custom tunes, supercharger set ups etc. just like any other car enthusiast group.

but they're only making like 400whp with 7 psi with a blower on a stock motor.. not too shabby but I bet those cars are so expensive to mod!