Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Hi, I'm a Mac...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Default Hi, I'm a Mac...

Do any tuners work with Mac computers?

I'm a video producer/editor and cannot stand PC based compys.

Any options for me?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

The deafening sound of crickets filled his ears...

The room grew darker...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

i'd like to know of some too- i'll never go back to a pc
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Well here's what I'm starting to think.

I'm looking at an SCT 3 tuner. (I think that's the name)

Looks like you get tunes either directly from the pre-loaded tunes in the device, or custom tunes are sent via email. For those you need a special cable (of course).

I'd bet the cable is a USB to propriatery SCT connector.

Since email is email, and USB is USB, I'm guessing the type of computer you run is a non-issue. Now, I don't know if folks can download software to create their own tunes, but I wouldn't doubt that if that's even possible, you would have to be running a PC.

That's total speculation on my part though. If anyone can confirm or correct, please chime in!

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I don't think so. I am a Mac user also. If you have an Intel processor Mac you can install Windows on it. Which is good for things like this. That's all I use Windows for on my Macs. Things that don't work on the Mac side. Other than that, I stay away from Windows. It's a horrible experience compared to Macs.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

I have an email in to SCT to see what they have to say, but if you're already running it on a Mac thru windoze, then that's probably the answer.

Although I think I might rather go buy a POS PC laptop than take up space on my MBP HD with Microsoft software.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
I don't think so. I am a Mac user also. If you have an Intel processor Mac you can install Windows on it. Which is good for things like this. That's all I use Windows for on my Macs. Things that don't work on the Mac side. Other than that, I stay away from Windows. It's a horrible experience compared to Macs.
This would be the solution for our users...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

CSS996, when you put windows on Macs you have to run an app called Bootcamp. Bootcamp partitions the hard drive and creates a hard drive specifically for Windows so, it really won't affect your Mac side except take some of it's space away.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Yup. I'm familiar with the concept of Bootcamp. Never played with it though. I had an emulator on a non-intel Mac at one time.

I'm in a situation where I need every meg of space on my laptop. Long story. Basically I should have bought a tower instead of a laptop that has only one damn FW port...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CSS996
Well here's what I'm starting to think.

Looks like you get tunes either directly from the pre-loaded tunes in the device, or custom tunes are sent via email. For those you need a special cable (of course).

I'd bet the cable is a USB to propriatery SCT connector.

Thanks!
As for the X3 (and for that matter probably all of SCTs tuners) the USB connection is no trouble at all. It's the same cable as most printers, and some external hard drives:

Granted, it doesn't come with the tuner, but it's easy enough to find. Not sure about the Mac issue, and I couldn't (Vista) even plug in the cable without the software downloaded from SCT and installed on my laptop.

I can't say either way for DiabloSport's tuners, maybe they'll chime in again...

Either way, good luck!

Quick Reply: Hi, I'm a Mac...