MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs-4/)
-   -   3.8 to 4.6 swap (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs/10942-3-8-to-4-6-swap.html)

KKozik04 03-02-2004 08:17 PM

3.8 to 4.6 swap

I have a 98 3.8 V6 engine and I want to put in a 4.6 V8. How hard is it and what do I have to do.

HRnB 03-02-2004 09:40 PM

RE: 3.8 to 4.6 swap

It will honestly cost you around 5K by the time it's running right.
3K in your V6 will make a crazy fast six and it's more fun to smoke a V8 with a six, LOL

callmecobra 03-02-2004 10:17 PM

it wont take 5k...i did it for under 1k
but i still wouldnt recomend it

slegos888 03-02-2004 10:19 PM

i agree with hotrods a fast v6 is more fun then a fast v8 u expect a v8 to be fast but a fast v6 is a sleeper!!!!

HRnB 03-02-2004 10:22 PM

We just did one in our club about 3 months ago. We had to change everything!!! It was kind of fun though, but alot of work and plus we made it a race motor by the time we were done. That added alot to the cost. IE: ported heads, intakes, cam forged bottom end. We thought it was a good motor when we got it used, but it was a basket case. [sm=smiley2.gif]

sUbLiMeStAnG 03-03-2004 03:39 AM

i have a 98 v6 too, oddly i want to do the same thing, i am trying to find out how and where to get the needed stuff to do the swap. i have always wanted a sleeper car... i agree it would be cool to beat a gt in a "v6". so can anyone help me with the swap t oa 3.8-4.6L?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5422/Xv650900251.jpg[/IMG]

NeoTokyo 03-03-2004 04:28 AM

You people really need to donate your engines to me [8D]

HRnB 03-03-2004 02:41 PM

Hey sUbLiMeStAnG, There are alot of great V6 products available these days for your car. I'll give you a couple links at the bottom. We talk about them quite a bit. I built a 99 V6 sprint car with my bro some time ago and I'm just getting started on my 03 V6. Neo is also in the early stages and has tons of info on modding methods from doing reasearch. Our motto here is:

"THERE'S NOTHING SWEETER THAN BEING A GT EATER"

Super Six Motorsports

Moana V6 Racing

NeoTokyo 03-03-2004 04:07 PM

Indeed, THERE'S NOTHING SWEETER THAN BEING A GT EATER!!

Although, the GT's have been eating me lately, but thats because my o2 sensors were unhooked, I have them back up and runnin again now so no more free meals to those GT's ;)

Anything you want to know about modding your V6 just ask and we will be more then happy to help you. But like I said, if you are hard set on a V8, then please donate your V6 to CrainRacing (me) so we can modify it as a single port engine [8D]:)[8D]

Dont listen to anyone that tells you that you cant get big power from a V6. Hell there is a guy here in sac running 11's with a stock bottom end and some bolt ons with a nitrous setup, thats crazy shiznit. Of course I believe this is his 3rd engine, So if your going to play with the big boys then you have to think smart and prepair for the unexpected. Building your bottom end up will prevent you from breaking the engine. From the money that this kid has spent on his 3 engines he could have built 1 STRONG engine that would produce more power with more consitancy and not have to keep replacing it. Appearantly the kid usues his nitrous to pass people in traffic too, so I guess its his own demise. The amount of nitrous he is pumping into the engine would break stock GT's, I think he is running a 350 or 400 shot. But it is possible for several thousand miles of this abuse, rather remarkable. As immature as this kid may seem, he has offered us some pretty valuable information of the breaking point on a stock 94-04 3.8L engine.

You can safely modify your engine and get 300hp out of it and not have to worry, and you dont even need Nitrous or boosted applications. There is a guy over at supersix running something like 425hp or something on a NA non nitrous car with just forged I-beam rods and stock-like forged pistons and stock internals with modified heads and intake and other easy bolt ons.

Anyways i need to head off to work, its kinda sscrewing me up for going to the track today but I can just go Sat or Sun. Oh by the way, a V6 is about 200lbs lighter then the GT and probably 300lbs lighter then the DOHC models, A hard top coupe is about 300lbs lighter then a convertable. So if you plan wisely and buy accordingly you can be as much as 600 or so pounds lighter then the SVT competition.

-Neo-

callmecobra 03-03-2004 04:26 PM

there is nothing more gay than a v6 with a v8 in it. its a pain in the ass too. its soooo not worth it. just get a ****ing gt. you will be more happy. with the 6 you will still have the same gay wheels, rear bumper, rear end, suspensions blah blah blah blah

HRnB 03-03-2004 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 100th96cobra

there is nothing more gay than a v6 with a v8 in it. its a pain in the ass too. its soooo not worth it. just get a ****ing gt. you will be more happy. with the 6 you will still have the same gay wheels, rear bumper, rear end, suspensions blah blah blah blah
Thats the point *hands 100th96cobra a clue*

Well except for the gay part, you thought of that all on your own *hands 100th96cobra a condom* BWAHAHAHA [sm=smiley32.gif]

callmecobra 03-03-2004 06:53 PM

if your going to bash me atleast make it a good one bro:D

HRnB 03-04-2004 01:14 AM

Why in the world would I bash you? Sorry you took it that way. Just having fun.
*hands 100th96cobra a mask hooked up to a bottle of nitrous oxide*[sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley14.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]

NeoTokyo 03-04-2004 02:35 AM

100th96cobra if you have ever looked at my rims there is no way in hell that they are gay, they are stock factory opions too. 15" Chrome pony Rims with Pony caps, far from gay dude, far from it.

Something that isnt gay either is the fact that my V6 will always outhandle any V8 out there with stock suspension like mine, its just cause its lighter and easier to corner. The fact that I beat stock GT's right now with minor mods to my car says a ton.

In my opinion I would buy my car 100 times over before buying a GT, I just like my car a whole lot more, the engine is perfect for me. And unlike the stock GT's that I beat, I get 32mpg on a fresh oil change, new plugs and new air filter.

Dont get my wrong here, I'm not trying to bash the GT's here, they are awesome machines with lots of potential, but I dont want to go that way just yet :) I like the "Individual" and "Original" things that I am doing with my car. Its kinda like breaking ground for a new era.

HRnB 03-04-2004 03:13 PM

Amen to that brotha.

03-04-2004 03:24 PM

You just went ahead and proved their point...

V6 with V8=hella fast V6 lookin car at lower V6 insurance costs but with two extra cylinders.

callmecobra 03-04-2004 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

100th96cobra if you have ever looked at my rims there is no way in hell that they are gay, they are stock factory opions too. 15" Chrome pony Rims with Pony caps, far from gay dude, far from it.

Something that isnt gay either is the fact that my V6 will always outhandle any V8 out there with stock suspension like mine, its just cause its lighter and easier to corner. The fact that I beat stock GT's right now with minor mods to my car says a ton.

In my opinion I would buy my car 100 times over before buying a GT, I just like my car a whole lot more, the engine is perfect for me. And unlike the stock GT's that I beat, I get 32mpg on a fresh oil change, new plugs and new air filter.

Dont get my wrong here, I'm not trying to bash the GT's here, they are awesome machines with lots of potential, but I dont want to go that way just yet :) I like the "Individual" and "Original" things that I am doing with my car. Its kinda like breaking ground for a new era.
neo dont take it offensively, even tho im sure you will, but 15X7 wheels couldnt be anymore gay. and i dont beleive you beat gt's. no way man. your car doenst weigh that much less. although the cobra with irs is a diff story. it also doenst handle better, gts come with better suspension. and no matter what bolt ons you do, it wont bring you up to 260hp, like your bigger brother. its not gonna happen. and everyone and their mom these days has a 3.8 stang. i was ashamed when i used to have myne. but if a v6 makes you happy, im happy for you man

HRnB 03-04-2004 06:10 PM

Again, missing the point. a BUILT V6 is a rare thing. The 99 V6 street legal daily driver we built a couple years ago was at 385 RWHP and 800 lbs less weight that a stock GT.
To reiterate...People appreciate a built car that is going against the odds. It show passion, ingenuity, skill and imagination. To put a couple bolt ons a GT and floor it around town is the same as every other guy doing the same. In 99, we had to custome make most of the shyt we did, but now there are alot of High performance V6 companies and it has become much easier. We will see 10 second street legal V6's this year. Of coarse they are Turbo and all forged and aluminum, but that is where it starts. The V6's were winning alot of the mustang events last year because of thier unique qualities.

This is not a statement to prove anything to the V8 guys, but it is a testament to the V6 enthusiasts to carry on and just nod and smile.

callmecobra 03-04-2004 08:17 PM

i have nothing against a high hp v6. i just think v6 mustangs look like ****. and i cant imagine how much v6 parts cost.

HRnB 03-04-2004 09:19 PM

[sm=smiley32.gif]

sUbLiMeStAnG 03-05-2004 12:41 AM

anyways, yeah whatever i can do to my v6 to make it fast, which would be cheaper, also, there is nothing better than getting your ass beat in a gt by a v6, so yeah will you help me then? i would like to fix it up, and just to let SOME people know, i got 17x9" cobra r rims, and new exhaust with new headlights, so mine looks better than yours 100th96cobra...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5422/Vt569093305.jpg[/IMG]

Krusher 03-05-2004 01:06 AM

agreeing with what has been said here... if you want to produce more power out of your vehicle... the more cost effective and less agonizing way to do it is to build your 232... you have a 98... so you have the single port intake 232... powerful? no... can you make it powerful? hell yes... stroke her to 4.2 or 4.25 (4.3) using either a donor 4.2L truck engine or SuperSix's stroke kit. Then swap to a spilt port intake... port and polish... and you'll probably be happy with the power output ;)

callmecobra 03-05-2004 01:28 AM

ORIGINAL: sUbLiMeStAnG

anyways, yeah whatever i can do to my v6 to make it fast, which would be cheaper, also, there is nothing better than getting your ass beat in a gt by a v6, so yeah will you help me then? i would like to fix it up, and just to let SOME people know, i got 17x9" cobra r rims, and new exhaust with new headlights, so mine looks better than yours 100th96cobra...

congrats on upgrading to lights that my car came stock with, and i have 18X11 rear wheels....so now your 17X9s arent that big are they? regardless your car looks nice man

Krusher 03-05-2004 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: sUbLiMeStAnG

congrats on upgrading to lights that my car came stock with, and i have 18X11 rear wheels....so now your 17X9s arent that big are they? regardless your car looks nice man
why hate so much? And what in the hell is the big deal about having stock "rims?" Could someone please inform me about how buying a car is suppose to be solely on what the tires go around?

Anyway... I'm sure that he really could care less about what you have or how you felt when you had a v6, or much less about whats stock on a 1996 cobra that he had to "modify" to get.

And as a final note... a mustang is a mustang... regaurdless of the engine in the bay... modified or not, a mustang is still the symbol of this board.

callmecobra 03-05-2004 01:56 AM

theres no hate man...much love to my lil v6 brothers...although he said his car looked better than myne. dont know why he had the need to say that. so i replied.

HRnB 03-05-2004 02:50 PM

theres no hate man...much love to my lil v6 brothers...although he said his car looked better than myne. dont know why he had the need to say that. so i replied.
I think he said that because you said "I just think v6 mustangs look like ****" The truth is, I think all 99+ V6 mustangs look much better than your model year, just my opinion.

callmecobra 03-05-2004 02:53 PM

ide agree...a 99 up v6 looks better thany any pre 99 v6. but sayin any v6 looks better than a cobra....but it doesnt matter everyone has their preferences

HRnB 03-05-2004 02:57 PM

One other note. There has been a big demand for V6 parts lately. GT's are putting on V6 rear bumpers and dumping exhaust behind the mufflers. Another part are the 03 V6 hoods is a 2k Cobra hood and people are requesting them. My mustang speed shop guy said people are paying more for 03 V6 pull off hoods than for after market hoods. V6 guys are putting GT side scoops on and the guys that sell them are selling back V6 side scoops to the Cobra guys, LOL. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Krusher 03-05-2004 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: HotRods_n_Booze

One other note. There has been a big demand for V6 parts lately. GT's are putting on V6 rear bumpers and dumping exhaust behind the mufflers. Another part are the 03 V6 hoods is a 2k Cobra hood and people are requesting them. My mustang speed shop guy said people are paying more for 03 V6 pull off hoods than for after market hoods. V6 guys are putting GT side scoops on and the guys that sell them are selling back V6 side scoops to the Cobra guys, LOL. I haven't figured that one out yet.
its all preference... I've got a mach 1 chin spoiler on the way for my car... Everyone likes what they like. I'm keeping my rear cover... because I'm doing side exhaust... in my opinion... side exhaust looks better when there isn't two holes on the rear cover where the tips were suppose to go.

HRnB 03-05-2004 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Krusher

its all preference... I've got a mach 1 chin spoiler on the way for my car... Everyone likes what they like. I'm keeping my rear cover... because I'm doing side exhaust... in my opinion... side exhaust looks better when there isn't two holes on the rear cover where the tips were suppose to go.
I agree. I think thats why there is a demand for V6 rear bumpers. Which side exhaust are you going with? I'm thinking about it my self.

Krusher 03-05-2004 11:24 PM

spintech... I've listened to them and that's the one I like the most... and when I finally stroke the engine it should deapen the sound even more.

HRnB 03-06-2004 03:05 AM

Do it before me so I can see if I like it, lol. Headers and high flow cats give a meaner sound too, plus hp's. We put long tubes on the 99 we built with dumps after the mufs, very loud, but clean. But that V6 also had a pro charger and ported heads, intakes and a cam. [sm=smiley2.gif]

2000GT4.6 03-09-2004 05:40 PM

Again, missing the point. a BUILT V6 is a rare thing. The 99 V6 street legal daily driver we built a couple years ago was at 385 RWHP and 800 lbs less weight that a stock GT.
To reiterate...People appreciate a built car that is going against the odds. It show passion, ingenuity, skill and imagination. To put a couple bolt ons a GT and floor it around town is the same as every other guy doing the same. In 99, we had to custome make most of the shyt we did, but now there are alot of High performance V6 companies and it has become much easier. We will see 10 second street legal V6's this year. Of coarse they are Turbo and all forged and aluminum, but that is where it starts. The V6's were winning alot of the mustang events last year because of thier unique qualities.

This is not a statement to prove anything to the V8 guys, but it is a testament to the V6 enthusiasts to carry on and just nod and smile.
BS. There is no ****ing way a N/A 6 put out that much power and was anywhere near close to street driveable. And exactly where did you save 800 pounds? The entire 4.6 v8 doesnt wiegh 800 pounds. In other words, it wieghed less because you gutted it? Which is the same thing you can do on a GT.

Here is a website for a 6 with bolt ons. www.rpmoutlet.com About 2500-3k spent here with tires, and we are pulling a mighty 14.47@90MPH. WHOO HOO!!! For the same price, coulda bought a used 99 GT with about 30k on it, still been faster, and looked better too.

Neo: Your saying you can beat a stock GT? The car on the website above is putting out MORE hp (though slightly less Tq) that is dyno proven. And still isnt anywhere near beating a stock GT. I know that .47 doesnt seem like alot, but that is a TON of car-lenghts in a street race. Handling wise, you might have an advantage of MAX 300 or so pounds. Engines dont wiegh THAT much. My friend and I picked up and moved a 78 350 with everything but a carb on it by ourselves, with engine stand attached. Cant tell me a 6 wieghs that much less than a GT to make up for a softer suspesion, and smaller tire footprint.

BTW when 100th96cobra was mentioning it was gay to swap, and talked about having 6 suspesion still, you realise this means you have to change all of it too to make it even on the same level as a GT right? AKA, after the swap, you STILL have a ****tyer rear end, a T5 instead of an improved T45, and the suspesion will be killing you every launch.

In other words, you will have a car that is STILL slower than a GT. Your gonna spend close to 3k on engine alone if its new. Add another 1500 for trans (unless you wanna risk it and stay with the stock 6 T5 (theres a reason they come with T45 now) , maybe 800 for a new rear end, and then god knows how much on suspesion. This isnt even counting the computer and wiring harnesses, or all of the intake/exaust stuff.

Do do it properly, your looking at 6-8K to be ONLY AS FAST as a STOCK GT.

What again was the point?

my99mustangv6 03-09-2004 09:05 PM

WOW nobody answered this guy's question........3.8 to 4.6 swap you need a complete 4.6 motor and the wiring harness has to be switched for the 4.6 and the ECU also you are going to need a tranny that fits the T3650, T56 (newer models) even though the older ones will fit fine and the motor should swap right in to the 3.8 motor mounts

Genral labor will be about 1500
It can be done for 3000 or so

V6 are only fast if highly modified and when they are they are unreliable for daily driving

Krusher 03-09-2004 11:42 PM

actually a cheaper way would be to buy a tbird that's an old 4.6... then use that as a donor car

2001StangV6 09-06-2007 01:32 AM

i'm new to the mustang world, i used to run with imports and i figured i'd step on the other side of the fence,my bro had an03 cobra which was bad ass, power and sound wise i liked it, i got rid of my 03 celica gts ayear ago which ran mid 13's with about 1k in parts, anyways to the point, i just bought a 01 v6 mustang, used of course with some minor problems, but overall i like it alot more than my celica, i guess from the muscle background it has, but to comment on what was said about v6's looks like s*** eh have you any idea that pretty much all the mustangs from those year ranges look the same, maybe some minor body specs and just about what 60 more horses than the v6 maybe 70, not sure, haven't had time to do my homework on it, yea it would be easier to buy a GT or SVT but my bro payed around 600 a month on the note and the same on the insurance, while you gt and svt guys are payin out your asses on insurance i'll be putting my saved money on parts, and if i had either of those models i definately wouldn't keep the stock body, no stock car looks good to me, i'd slap a body kit on it and change the whole interior out to custom, like other guys above said, it feels alot better to fix up a 6 and run over v8's, and it doesn't cost no 6-8k to make it run quick, the site you get info from must suck, unless you wanna slap a supercharger or turbo on it, which would be the last thing i'd do, and i've seen 3 k put into some imports and they'll take a cobra or gt any day, and they have track times to prove it, so dont underestimate 4's or 6's, as far as swapping the engine it will be expensive of course, to swap any engine is expensive, the labor is almost as much as the engine, my stang with a cracked exhaust manifold and 5th gear syncs goin out ..& bad cats, i will stick take a stock camaro v6 and the v6 stang is a lil less than a quarter of a second faster, i love to see all these v8s get thiers handed to them by 6s or 4s, theres more devotion to thier game since they had to put time and effort into becoming that fast, instead going out blowing thier life savings on a cobra and puttin maybe some exhaust and some nice wheels on, seriously, my celica ran like high 14s stock maybe low 15s, and if i would have slapped on a turbo kit i would have easily ran 12s and ate most v8s hell a z06 runs like 11.8... .. anything lower than that i'd be illegal, i want a daily driver thats legit to street run, you guys want a drag car then go for it, i like to impress the world not a few people in some stands at a track race, . sorry if its a long post but i like to make a big entrance, and i'm not hatin on gts or svts.. i dont care what you drive but whatever you drive bring your fkin a game and run um, if you win . good.. if you lose .. build up and try again, and even if you put 6k into a v6 stang its still overall cheaper than a gt... v6 = 4-6 k.... gt pretty much 10k and up ...unless you want a crappy one with high miles and prolems out the azz.. then you'll end up making an engine swap yourself.. i just hate sht talkers cause you never bring your game... you just post a bunch of sht without even thinkin about it... anyways if anyone has any info on restoring my 2001 mustang v6 3.8l 252.. go for it.. i'm all ears or in this case eyes... i wanna totally restore it.. since the last owner disrespected it.. that should show you not to let a 16 year old have a car like this... his mom shoulda bought him a pinto or somthing... anyways thnx - Jd

superdavid 09-06-2007 04:24 AM

I think its kinda funny watchin these V6 and V8 guys kick each other in the balls... [sm=bicker.gif] Next they're gonna break out the 'your mom' jokes.... anyways, Ijust checked out this thread cuz I was wondering what all parts it takes to swap a 6er to V8 too. And I was wondering if anyone has ever thrown an old school carbed v8 into like an 04 v6 car. I was just wondering cuz I can throw together a 408w or 347 stroker pretty cheap and just wondering if its ever been done...

amrcnidyot 09-06-2007 09:00 AM

[sm=smiley21.gif]way to bring up a 3 year old thread. lol.

Mustang_guy17 09-06-2007 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

BS. There is no ****ing way a N/A 6 put out that much power and was anywhere near close to street driveable. And exactly where did you save 800 pounds? The entire 4.6 v8 doesnt wiegh 800 pounds. In other words, it wieghed less because you gutted it? Which is the same thing you can do on a GT.

Here is a website for a 6 with bolt ons. www.rpmoutlet.com About 2500-3k spent here with tires, and we are pulling a mighty 14.47@90MPH. WHOO HOO!!! For the same price, coulda bought a used 99 GT with about 30k on it, still been faster, and looked better too.

Neo: Your saying you can beat a stock GT? The car on the website above is putting out MORE hp (though slightly less Tq) that is dyno proven. And still isnt anywhere near beating a stock GT. I know that .47 doesnt seem like alot, but that is a TON of car-lenghts in a street race. Handling wise, you might have an advantage of MAX 300 or so pounds. Engines dont wiegh THAT much. My friend and I picked up and moved a 78 350 with everything but a carb on it by ourselves, with engine stand attached. Cant tell me a 6 wieghs that much less than a GT to make up for a softer suspesion, and smaller tire footprint.

BTW when 100th96cobra was mentioning it was gay to swap, and talked about having 6 suspesion still, you realise this means you have to change all of it too to make it even on the same level as a GT right? AKA, after the swap, you STILL have a ****tyer rear end, a T5 instead of an improved T45, and the suspesion will be killing you every launch.

In other words, you will have a car that is STILL slower than a GT. Your gonna spend close to 3k on engine alone if its new. Add another 1500 for trans (unless you wanna risk it and stay with the stock 6 T5 (theres a reason they come with T45 now) , maybe 800 for a new rear end, and then god knows how much on suspesion. This isnt even counting the computer and wiring harnesses, or all of the intake/exaust stuff.

Do do it properly, your looking at 6-8K to be ONLY AS FAST as a STOCK GT.

What again was the point?
I had to log into show how stupid you were. First off gt's don't run 14.0 with an average driver. they run about 14.2-14.5 So that v6 would be running close to a GT with bolt ons!!. A gt is nothing special I hate it when you GT guys come on here and act like you drive a fast car. Mustang GT are SLOW so are V6 but you don't have the right to come on here and act like you got a 500hp beast and talk down to us. A v6 with a turbo or supercharge will come out cheaper then it costs to have a gt. AND you get v6 insurance. And the v6 supercharged will make 300-400hp.

darthstanger 09-08-2007 12:23 PM

one of my friends is a pro 5.0 guy and he said that putting a 5.0 in a 6er would be alot easier to do because you would not have to change the computer because it is carborated. this is something im not interested in but this is what i here.