V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Jefferson

Default RE: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

didja ever find out the inner dia. of that tubing?
Nope, forgot.

Im making a note of it and Ill post tonight when I get home. The tubing I had was actually a bit bit so I cut a small section as opposed to making a slice. If you look in the picture you can see that the tubing overlaps a bit. But like I said I will find out the proper inner diameter for you tonight.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:21 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

no worries, do you have an estimate or a range? I think i'll stop by the hardware store on the way home and pickup stuff to do that. I'd rather buy 3-4 sizes than have to go back again.

btw, your writeup is 8 billion times easier to read and understand than any of the other write ups for this mod. good pics too.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
zarins04stang
2nd Gear Member

you can do this on Autos too rite?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Jefferson

ORIGINAL: zarins04stang

you can do this on Autos too rite?
Mine is an auto

Get to work.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Jefferson

no worries, do you have an estimate or a range? I think i'll stop by the hardware store on the way home and pickup stuff to do that. I'd rather buy 3-4 sizes than have to go back again.

btw, your writeup is 8 billion times easier to read and understand than any of the other write ups for this mod. good pics too.
Thanks alot Red! I hope to do some more for the forum when I decide what my next mods are. As far as the pics go...I took about eleventy billion cause I was the flash was giving off tons of glare and there were a number of blurry ones. What can I say I'm no photographer.

Um, I would say that you would be very safe with an inner diameter of 1/4", I think 1/2 inch inner is too big, so somewhere in between. The smaller the inner diameter the better, all it has to be able to fit is a thin cable. If you just crawl down there and look it will give you a very good idea of what you need.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

didja ever find out the inner dia. of that tubing?
went to my OSH today and got a couple nylon spacers unless i screw up...the dimensions are 1/2" x .194" x 1"....so i'm guessing the inner diameter of mine is about 2/10s of an inch...i just eyeballed it with the backstop of the throttle cable and my extra slack just happened to be about an inch...only thing is the smallest hose clamps they had only went down to 5/8" and the overall diameter of my spacer (which was the BIGgest they had) is 1/2" so the clamp wouldnt do anything...thinking about just using the zip ties...the spacer is pretty hard though so i dont think it will get crushed...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

yea i love this mod. i did it a while ago and the few people who have driven my car sinse then always freak me out because the car jerks forward real bad when they hit it and dont mean to give it that much gas. most of them are in awe after that.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I did this mod to my car. I dunno if the gas pedal height is the same, so the spacer lenght might vary. I got a nylon spacer, about 3/4 of an inch long, from the elctronics parts store (they are usaed for mounting circuit boards). It's about 1/4" outer diameter, 1/8" hole. I took one end of the spacer and bored out the middle with an xacto knife until it would fit over the **** on the end of the gas pedal so the spacer would be flush against the flat stop on the end. I took one side, and cut out the slit with a razor (you can use a bike brake cable to make sure your slit is wide enouhg to fit over the cable without having to get into the car to check). I used one of these (1/4" i.d.) and nut/bolt/lock washer combo to secure it: http://www.picocanada.com/catalogue/7314-7329.asp
or
http://www.wmbs.hdweb.com/item.html?itemid=421573148

the one I used if jt&t products (jttproducts.com) part # 4464F, but I couldn't find the link anywhere for it.

10-32 x 1/2" nut/bolt combo was perfect for me.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Black on blacK
2nd Gear Member

great post im going to go by the hardware store tomorow and do this when i get home.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:33 AM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

hey thanks for this tutorial , thats what I needed and now I found out I can fix it

Quick Reply: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix