V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 PM
RyanMacrum
1st Gear Member

Default Nitrous

I own a 2006 Mustang v6 automatic.

I want Nitrous.

Should I buy a wet or dry kit?

If it doesn't matter, whats the differences (pros/cons) of each.

Does this include EVERYTHING I need to get installed? http://nitrousdirect.com/wetnitrouskits.html (Number CFN-1101 V6 - 50-200 Hp)

Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
RyanMacrum
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous

Also will I need to get my car tuned for the Nitrous? Or will the car be set to go when I get it all installed?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 PM
mws96
2nd Gear Member

You will need a tune. 05+ need a tunee for virtually every mod that you do.

I would wait for ryan to chime in for the nitrous. He always gives good input on that subject.

Try using the "search" function as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Wet -

Wet includes fuel solenoids [somebody spell check me]
dry lets the computer compensate

you need a tune.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

Wet -

Wet includes fuel solenoids [somebody spell check me]
dry lets the computer compensate

you need a tune.
You're good, you spelled it right. I feel you though, I've edited quit a few posts today, I suck at grammer today, I mean grammar. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I've written this too many times lol

My recommendation, which on this particluar subject is always contrary to Kyle's lol, is to run a simple dry setup.

It doesn't matter who your get you kit from, the only moving part in all of them are the solenoids, and they are all made by the same company.

A complete dry system consist of a Nitrous bottle, bottle brackets, braided stainless hoses, 1 solenoid, nozzle, and a few jets. You can add purge if you want, but purge is only to show-off, it's never been proven to help anything. A wet kit would add a fuel solenoid.

The reason I recommend a dry setup for a small 50-75 shot system is due to not having to either worry about the fuel solenoid functioning properly or added over-complication. Your stock fuel system is more than capable of providing enough fuel for a shot that small. You will need a tuner and a custom dyno tune, not a mail order tune. I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND an MSD window controller. This is $100 worth of engine insurance. It only lets the solenoid to come on at a certain rpm and shut off at a certain rpm. If you miss a gear and overrev, then you can destroy your engine, this prevents that. There are a couple of people on here who have learned the hard way.

Nitrous CAN BE COMPLETELY SAFE, but just remember, it will shorten the overall life of the engine, just like any other power adder. There is no way around that, you are puting added stress on the internals. If used properly it will not "blow your engine," Laying on a 100 shot for 15 seconds will most likely melt your valves, believe me, I've done it. DO NOT use it on the street, when you get a boost of power the way nitrous kicks in, it is very easy to lose control, I know 50-75hp may not seem like a lot, but when it's instant, you know it's working. Using it at the track will be to your benifit because you can let the car cool down and everything before you use it, this helps the EGT's from already being high, and thus more likely to hit the "danger to manifold" zone lol

The stuff is fun, and is pretty easy to instal, but if you've never done it then PLEASE pay someone professional, at a shop, not a "side deal". You're already getting cheap power, so spend the money in the right places.

I personally recommend ColdFusionN2O.com. I've installed a ton of their kits and they assemble everything in house. Their customer service is 2nd to none, and they are a small company that handles a lot of equipment. I've always been able to call up and have either a custom hose made or a replacement part in a matter of minutes (when i lived in Houston, where they are based). I've installed a lot of simple kits and a lot of ungodly all out drag vehicle kits, actually about to do a multi-port direct inject wet system on a buddy's 5.0. Doing custom stuff meant I had to make a few phone calls throughout the process to see if the equipment I had could handle the design of the system I was installing, and I never waited on hold.

The kit you posted is for the company I'm talking about, but they have their own website.

This is what I'm doing in my friend's stang;

This is MY "Drag-pack";

Here's a 2 stage 400hp kit I did on a Cummins that I slapped twin turbos on (400hp nitrous + 60lbs boost);
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

This is whatI foundin my backseat the last time I went to Cold Fusion's shop;
Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Big Tom

Zex makes an 05 v6 specific WET kit- it comes with 55 - 75 HP jets - although their 05 GT kit will work to and is the same kit except it comes with 75 - 100 hp jets . You don't need a tune - timing doesnt need to be adjusted below 75 HP. Just don't go any higher - And Get the cold plugs they are worth it . The 05's have a returnless fuel system so you will need a wet kit. just my 2 cents -
Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
ezekiel90
3rd Gear Member

what would be necessety to handle the HP givin through the nitrous? such things as a t-lok maybe?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Big Tom

That Depends on the amount of nitrous you want to go with - I don't know what kind of ride you have?
My 05 v6 has no issues - I use a 75hp shot - from ZEX. I don't have a LSD installed or faster spinning
(drive shaft) gears in yet - I do have the gears and a t-lok though - man I should put them in sometime soon - - Just a quality CAI - Pypes full dual exhaust - you have to run premium fuel - and use a colder plug-