V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

PATS issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Default PATS issues

**** THE PATS SYSTEM. **** TRANSPONDERS. **** FORD'S ENGINEERS.
/rage

3 months ago, transponder in my key quit working. Got it recoded and was working alright, not good b/c the car would only start with the steering wheel tilted all the way down(most of the time even farther than the last locked position). Well last night the transponder ****ed up again. Tried every position the steering wheel can go into, no luck. Took the cover off the column and took the transponder out of the key. Had the key in the ignition and the transponder around the module, still no go. Call up the dealer and they said they will need the car and all that crap. I dont want to trailer the car for this **** again.

If ANYONE knows how to disable the PATS system permanently(I dont care that it will make the car easier to steal), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM me the info.

I am thinking of selling my X3 and getting a Sniper just so I can disable PATS. And no I will not do the "put a key on the column trick" b/c that transponder can go bad as well.

and I have been reading for the past 4 hours on how to disable it and have found absolutely nothing.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Grumio
2nd Gear Member

I was told by a SCT tech that with a custom tune they can disable PATS. You could try getting in touch with VMP about getting one.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

really? I did not know that. But with the Sniper I can make my own custom tunes. I may have a buyer for the X3 already.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

SCT can disable the pats completely, its pretty easy
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

But I need a custom tune? Or could I do it with myself?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Your kidding? Holy crap that makes engine swaps a hell of a lot easier and cheaper if you using an engine and ECU from a chipped key car (Like my Mach 1 dropout.)

Well I'm sorry that your having so much trouble with it but for what its worth, you just made a few things a lot easier for me.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

No problem. Hopefully I can get this fixed soon... I need to go to work on Monday, and its a 10hr drive.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Do I need to be able to start my car to run this new tune? Im thinking not but I want to know for sure.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

nope, just turn the key to ignition on, at least that is how you set the tune.

Now if your PATS keeps you from accessing the ECU to tune it then you might run into a problem with that.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Ok. Ill plug the tuner in and try and load a different canned tune. Hopefully it will let me load it or else Ill be pissed.

Quick Reply: PATS issues