V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mustang wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Kaleb

Default Mustang wont start

To start with Ive been over countless threads and articles looking for answers, and Ive found some very helpful.

Scenario: 2002 Mustang V6 has not ran in about 2.5 years

I got fresh gas and injector cleaner and new battery. It has a new alternator on it. It wants to turn over but acts if its getting no gas. I know if I think of it I would probably come up with the answer, but I want to see if anyone else has done the same thing.
Please don't give me list after list of things that I could change and be out hundreds of bucks when it could just be the fuel filter.
Ive been over the fuel reset button several times. Made sure the hoses and fuel pump is connected.

Here are a list of problems that Ive came across from other threads
Airflow
Stopped fuel filter
Non working fuel pump
clogged fuel lines
no spark
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

After sitting that long, I would guess the soft hose on the pump cracked. It could be working, but just pumping gas into the tank out of a hole. Check your fuel pressure at the rail.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

i agree with checking pressure at the rail.
Next I would verify spark.

Fuel, Spark, & timing are all that are needed to make an engine run.

The answers to fuel and spark will lead you to the solution.

I take it from your description there is no firing at all.

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-29-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Kaleb

Originally Posted by LilRoush
After sitting that long, I would guess the soft hose on the pump cracked. It could be working, but just pumping gas into the tank out of a hole. Check your fuel pressure at the rail.
So that hose is in the tank itself? or just outside of it? It being a v6 where is the fuel rail? I thought that was on the 4.6. Thanks I will check that out It should have spark unless there is something that can go wrong with the plugs and/or wires??? My reset switch was stuck and I had to pop it to where it was up...should it be up or down.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I'd check spark.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Kaleb

Ok, before I do that. How would I go about doing that? Ive seen some people take it off the plug.

Since I have a coil pack, is it possible to take the wire off there and check that way?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Two ways I use to check spark. You'll need someone to turn the key while you do this.

If you have an inductive timing light use that. It will flash each time current travels down the plug wire.

Alt method. Remove a plug wire and place a screw driver in the boot so it touches the metal contact. hold the screwdriver very close to a metal part of the engine if you have spark you will see a blue arc to the engine.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

If you have spark, fuel , and air and it still wont start then all I can think is timing.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Yeah if it;s none of those I'd replace the Cam Positioning Sensor, coulda fouled up just sitting there for so long
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Kaleb

Thanks guys, I will hopefully be checking it all out tomorrow. Hopefully someone can answer this question before I go. Where do I need to unhook my fuel line to flush it out? I figured toward the front of the motor to flush the entire line out.

I talked to another Mech. And he said to spray PB Blaster in the spark plug holes and allow it to set for 2 to three days. He said if my engine turns over with a torque bar i should not have to worry with it. Whats your take on this?

Quick Reply: Mustang wont start