V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Newbie Question - Revs high at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM
GRA91

Default Newbie Question - Revs high at idle

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I know next to nothing about cars but I'm trying to start learning about this stuff. Anyways, I have a 2001 Mustang with automatic transmission. At idle, the engine revs very high, hits a maximum and then drops back down. If the car remains at idle, it will continue to fluctuate like that. Also, while driving the car seems to have issues shifting (sluggish) and tends to accelerate slowly if I try to accelerate too fast. I've taken it to the mechanic once and he said he replaced one engine coil. Needless to say, the problem remains.

Really sorry if a similar thread already exists, I'm brand new here and just hoping to find out what's wrong with my car. Any help you can offer me is welcome!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

the car revving somewhat high upon start up is probably normal, what rpm does it go up to? and stock autos are kind of sluggish to begin with, that was my biggest complaint when i got mine. if you think it isnt because of lack of raw power, then maybe try a tune up, and flush out the old tranny fluid and put in new.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
kman025
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03shadow
and stock autos are kind of sluggish to begin with, that was my biggest complaint when i got mine. if you think it isnt because of lack of raw power, then maybe try a tune up, and flush out the old tranny fluid and put in new.
same here... i was/am disappointed in the speed of mine, stock auto... it very well may be the fact that it just isnt a fast car... yet.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
GRA91

Originally Posted by 03shadow
the car revving somewhat high upon start up is probably normal, what rpm does it go up to? and stock autos are kind of sluggish to begin with, that was my biggest complaint when i got mine. if you think it isnt because of lack of raw power, then maybe try a tune up, and flush out the old tranny fluid and put in new.
Revs to about 2500 then dies back down. The thing is it will do this whenever it is put into park, not just at start up. I'll definitely look into your other suggestions though, thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

yeah 2500 is normal, and it will rev up a little when you put it in park too since the stress is taken of the transmission when you take it from drive to park. it shouldnt go to 2500 when you put it in park though
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
GRA91

Ok, me being the idiot that I am, I forgot to mention that the service engine light is on. Also, what does it mean if it revs up that high even when it's just in park? Sorry for being a hassle lol
Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Check your air filter and Mass Air Intake. Make sure there is no garbage (like strings or what not) that got sucked in to your intake. Happened to my girlfriends explorer. The string wasn't letting the butterfly valve close so it was getting too much air and revving high at idle. Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Drive to Autozone or another parts store and tell them you need your codes checked, they will do it for free. Write down the number(s) and come back to us
Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 PM
GRA91

Originally Posted by Synyster06Gates
Drive to Autozone or another parts store and tell them you need your codes checked, they will do it for free. Write down the number(s) and come back to us
Thanks, I'll do this first thing tomorrow and then post the numbers. I'll also check the air filter, sounds like something I can manage. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Not the filter, but the thing that connects to the filter. It will be a round metal tube with a small channel running through it. Check that for anything. you will have to remove the filter.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question - Revs high at idle