V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Weird problem with my 2003 pony.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
JoMamma_Smurf

Unhappy Weird problem with my 2003 pony.

Ok... When doing regular driving the car will start to sputter or feel like it's skipping and eventually just die. Pull over and restart it and it will eventually do it again. I've changed the fuel filter and the plugs and it ran great for about a day and now it's doing it again... The CEL isn't coming on so my only guess would be the fuel pump. Does this sound right? Could the coil pack be going but not throw a code? The alternator was recently replaced recently too and I'm getting the right voltage. It's not over heating at all so my only conclusion is that it's a fuel issue. Any ideas??
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

sounds like it can't breathe. How old are your cats? had a similar problem caused by bad cats. once they go bad and they get warm the material expands causing even more blockage. does it seem to run smooth when first started up or when its cold?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
JoMamma_Smurf

Originally Posted by WoahPony
sounds like it can't breathe. How old are your cats? had a similar problem caused by bad cats. once they go bad and they get warm the material expands causing even more blockage. does it seem to run smooth when first started up or when its cold?
Yeah it runs fine when it's short distances... I drove it on a long test drive after the filter and plug change and it was fine... But today it acted up. The exhaust is bone stock.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

yeah if it gets worse over time its probably the cats. what happened to me was that one night it got so bad the car just started jerking like it was misfiring then died. and after that the power loss was so bad I couldnt make it out of my driveway. but if I let it sit and cool for a while it would run fine until the exhaust got hot again. sound familiar?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM
JoMamma_Smurf

Sounds very familiar. Hmmmm... This will probably be expensive.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
JoMamma_Smurf

Well I replaced the cats and had a brand new dual exhaust installed and it still doing the same damn thing. I'm about to drop the tank... I don't understand. Any other ideas?!?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

you replaced all 4 cats?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
JoMamma_Smurf

Yeah..I'm starting to think the fuel pump is taking a dump and yes...The etire exhaust system except for the manifolds has been replaced.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Does it happen when your runnning down the road? Or just when your idleing? If it's the latter it could be your IAC valve is sticking and robbing your engine of air which it needs to mix with the fuel. I don't think it's your fuel pump because usually that would create starting issues. Check also your throttle body, vacum lines, and air intake.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

I agree, don't go changing the fuel pump. It's the IAC, or maybe you Coil pack is fouling up. I've never had a coil pack throw a code, usually they will start to miss slightly at idle in traffic situations, but still run fine off the brake.

Check all the intake hoses, filter, the basic things as well. Could be sucking hair somewhere. GL

Last edited by JKs95stang; 08-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird problem with my 2003 pony.