V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Dome light staying on...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Default Dome light staying on...

So this is my first problem for the record

I guess it could be alot worse, But after work i got in my car and the dome light wouldn't go off. I slammed evrey door shut and its still on. I was looking for the typical spring thing but to my luck the mustangs dont have them. So i think just started poking random screws near the rear windows and the light went off somehow...

Which brings me to this question? Where is the door jamb switch? Was i close? And if this happens again can i just remove the dome light bulb to save my battery? Or will it still drain?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Br4nd0n

Did you turn your headlight switch all the way to the right with it pushed in? This was happening to me with my vert then I finally figured it out.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
kman025
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Br4nd0n
Did you turn your headlight switch all the way to the right with it pushed in? This was happening to me with my vert then I finally figured it out.
this.

my friend thought he had a problem with his and it turns out he just didnt know the head light switch was what controlled the dome light lol.

not trying to insult your intellegence, just making sure you know this.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

yeah i tried the dimmer / headlight ****, but it didn't really do anything. I twisted and pulled it every direction. Im convinced i have a defective door switch; or its stuck somehow. Where is the mechanism?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Spray GENEROUSLY! inside the latch with WD40 on both doors, worked great for my old Ranger.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I would think its the door jam switch. When you push in the switches does the dome light turn off?

Matthew
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
stangdad98

I have a 99. and mine don't come on when i open the door. where is the door switch at?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangdad98
I have a 99. and mine don't come on when i open the door. where is the door switch at?
No one has told me yet either haha

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I would think its the door jam switch. When you push in the switches does the dome light turn off?

Matthew
So maybe you can tell me where it's located?

Id like to know, but maybe there is some kind of mechanism inside the door? either that or its near the rear window.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Ericko

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
yeah i tried the dimmer / headlight ****, but it didn't really do anything. I twisted and pulled it every direction. Im convinced i have a defective door switch; or its stuck somehow. Where is the mechanism?
not sure in the 2000 but if its anything like my 1998 then its near the door hinges. there will be a triangular looking plate and that will be where the door switch hits to turn off ur dome light..

have the same problem i tried everything my dont go off either
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Sorry, Ericko is right. It is where the car door is bolted to the frame. There will be a triangle "striker" plate on the frame between the door hinges, just opposite of that on the door you will find a little button you can push it. That is what your looking for.

Matthew

Quick Reply: Dome light staying on...