V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Seafoam vs. Marvel vs. BG44k

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Marvel has been around a lot longer than Seafoam.

Marvel is an upper cylinder lubricant/cleaner meaning you add it before you change your oil out in the crankcase/differential/tranny. It's supposed to get rid of varnish and sludge. I would not run it through the intake like Seafoam.

As already stated, unless you don't do regular maintenance it's not a good idea to do too often (if at all). It can cause leaks on older engines.

Seafoam as far as I'm concerned is more for intake cleaning, not crankcase. Berrymans is similar to Seafoam and is not usually recommended for the crankcase either. That will eat seals.

Like Marvel, I'm not a big believer in the Seafoam for regular maintenance. If you maintain your engine you shouldn't need it. Just my .02
Wow Derf, great info there! Thanks for chiming in even though I've never met you personally(or internet-ly.... whatever, just nice to meet a new person that knows his shiz). Okay, couple more questions for you. Lets' say I do marvel in the oil before I change it, and seafoam through the intake once a year for cleaning. Which shall I use through the gas tank? Which I guess has the same or similar effect as through the intake but just not as harsh? I may have just answered my own question because if SF is safe enough to do straight, why wouldn't it be through the tank?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I'm about to go OT in my own post, but it's mine so F-it!!!!! I just had a buddy call me today and tell me that his cooling system is junk in his '97 sn95. He changed oil and all of that and actually pulled the radiator and drained it. Problem is the car hasn't been drivin in 2 years so there is lots of scale & whatnot in there. So, is there something similar to what we've been talking about that could be ran through the cooling system to "help" it out? Similar to what marvel mystery oil does for a rough running engine? Thanks and sorry to switch gears on ya'll.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
billytk

this is not exactly on topic but it is similar so I hope it's ok to ask here, are there any standard fuel injector cleaners that you add into the gas tank that do a good job or should I just stick to the once a year type products you guys have been talking about here?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by billytk
this is not exactly on topic but it is similar so I hope it's ok to ask here, are there any standard fuel injector cleaners that you add into the gas tank that do a good job or should I just stick to the once a year type products you guys have been talking about here?
If you are looking for "JUST" fuel inj. cleaner, Techron is one of the few that actually work. But, instead of paying 8-10 bucks for a bottle of that, just buy some seafoam and use it. That is the point of running it through the tank is to clean everything out. (including inj.) Just wait until you are below 1/10 of a tank or very close to empty, then use 1/3-1/2 bottle and run the car until E-light comes on before you refuel. It'll clean your injectors just fine.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
billytk

Originally Posted by mustang99v6
If you are looking for "JUST" fuel inj. cleaner, Techron is one of the few that actually work. But, instead of paying 8-10 bucks for a bottle of that, just buy some seafoam and use it. That is the point of running it through the tank is to clean everything out. (including inj.) Just wait until you are below 1/10 of a tank or very close to empty, then use 1/3-1/2 bottle and run the car until E-light comes on before you refuel. It'll clean your injectors just fine.
Thanks that makes sense, and thanks for pointing out to put the seafoam in on a low tank as opposed to using it with a full tank like the inj. cleaners I probably wouldn't have realized that