V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

a momma trying to fix daughter's 95 Ford Mustang...headlight relay question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the foggy headlight housing. My 95 Mustang had the same problem, the housings were straight up YELLOW, so I replaced them with brand new projector headlights. 10x brighter, and much better looking! And it only ran me $165 at American Muscle
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'll second both the relay and the yellow housing posts. If that isn't it, I'll also suggest checking the wires right at the harness connection to the headlight. Often times those wires wiggle loose. A bad connection there will allow the bulb to come on, but not fully. I had it happen a couple of times to various Mustangs over the years.

Originally Posted by mustang99v6
Well, mom in texas, maybe you should pony up money and go to a mechanic. Seeing as how your first post here(and prob. last) is you asking for help. Why should we help you when you are just a leech, not a contributing member of this society???
In the words of Bill Cosby: "Pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow."
This forum doesn't need posts like that. If a person needs help and comes here asking, we will help. That is the main point of this forum... helping others. If you read, you'll see 99% of the threads here are someone asking for help with something they don't know.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Cindy and Greg

Originally Posted by Franchi
Also are the headlights oxidixed at all? Like as in foggy looking? That can seriously reduce light output esp on older headlights and normally a cheap and easy fix.
Yeah, we gave that a shot last summer. It didn't really help unfortunately. My daughter goes to college in Arkansas, and has to drive 8.5 hours to get there, and it bothers me that she has such poor headlights! I'm thinking of taking the advice of Erik and ordering her a complete new set!!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Cindy and Greg

[QUOTE=NeoTokyo;7563944]

Please excuse our friend, he expresses love and excitement in all the wrong ways...

And now for the problem at hand.

94-98 Mustangs are iconic for their incredibly poor ability to light the dark path ahead.
This problem isnt because of a relay or fuse or even the bulbs, its because of the foggy lenses and THEN the bulbs.

The BEST OEM alternative is to buy SN95 Cobra headlights and go with an HID hi/lo kit.
Its costs more than a hand full of relays but the results will have you happy for a very long time. If you have a kickass insurance company they may even lower your rate a couple bux for the increased safety factor.

I like the APC Glass SN95 headlights for clearity and function. They will never haze on you and an HID Kit will push it over the top for visibility. These are a projector style headlight so you will have to get the HID kit that will be legal with them. Call American Muscle for the right kit, I think its just the hi-beam kit you want if I remember right.

Upgrading to a set of Fog Lights will help too, you have all the wiring ready sitting behind the bumper. Just add fog lights, brackets and a switch.

Here is a great HID kit for stock/Cobra headlights from our sponsor, American Muscle.
As a member you get an extra 10% off.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-du...-kit-9007.html

Here is a link to the APC Glass Headlights, Amazon is where I found the best price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is a step-by-step walk through on putting SN95 OEM Cobra headlights in your Mustang.

http://www.mikefordmustang.com/write...ts-mustang.php

Here is a fuse box diagram for both boxes.

Good luck, I hope that you are going to be a long lasting part of our community.

-Eric-

Thank you so much Eric for your FABULOUS advice and links! And the nice welcome.

My daughter (she's 20) and I have been looking over the links for the past hour and of course it makes us want to fix her car up!!! The smoky headlights are awesome. I wish I could buy all of that stuff for her, but alas, we DO have to pay for her college tuition instead. heh. Anyway, I'm thinking of at least ordering the headlights off Amazon because they absolutely HAVE to be better than what she has on there now! I hate for her to even drive after dark anymore, it's so bad.

I love this forum, btw! Thanks for everyone's (well nearly everyone ) helpful advice. I do intend to stay awhile, and believe it or not, I'm totally considering trading in my 01 Honda Odyssey for a new mustang! This momma has raised her 3 girls for the most part, and I'm ready to have a fun new ride!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

When you're ready to look, we'll be here to answer questions for ya.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Its no problem, I try to help as much as I can.
On the smoked headlights, though they look great they dont allow as much light to come through.

Trading in that Honda for a 2012 would be awesome!

No matter if you get the V6 or the GT, you will get awesome performance and good fuel economy out of it.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Cindy and Greg

Originally Posted by arabianobsession
+1 on the foggy headlight housing. My 95 Mustang had the same problem, the housings were straight up YELLOW, so I replaced them with brand new projector headlights. 10x brighter, and much better looking! And it only ran me $165 at American Muscle
that sounds awesome.

why did you get rid of the 2007 'stang?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Cinn
1st Gear Member

What college is she going to? I used to go to Uca but now go to ualr. That's a long drive, y'all must either be razorback fans or got a good scholarship lol . I ask more questions than a depressed philosopher here so lilroush is right haha.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Cindy and Greg

Originally Posted by Cinn
What college is she going to? I used to go to Uca but now go to ualr. That's a long drive, y'all must either be razorback fans or got a good scholarship lol . I ask more questions than a depressed philosopher here so lilroush is right haha.
she's at hendrix. on academic scholarship but mostly to play softball. but yeah, we're definite razorback fans...which is difficult living in longhorn territory down here in austin!

she's probably going to do grad school at UCA. she wants to go into physical therapy and UCA has a great program!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Cinn
1st Gear Member

I have a couple of friends that decided on Hendrix and they like it up there. Uca is just an amazing school all around their teachers are great especially compared to ualr. I was able to make an A in psychology there but made a C in health at ualr....didnt make sense considering I was a personal trainer and was competing. She will love Uca. Good luck on the headlight problem, hope it gets worked out.

Quick Reply: a momma trying to fix daughter's 95 Ford Mustang...headlight relay question