V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Rocket62

Default Need help please!!

So here's the scoop I have a 1994 mustang 3.8 that has been causing me some serious headaches has a horrible misfire. Code reads cylinder 2 misfire changed plugs, wires, coil pack no help! Took it to the shop and he compression tested and said one cylinder was a little lower he said nothing to worry about. He did however say it had clogged catalytic converters pulled the old ones off and replaced and the drivers side was packed solid and the other side was fine still no change. The car has such a bad misfire I'm surprised it will even move there is no power but when you ease into it or just let it move itself it will slowly move and then suddenly will catch and want to take off then die back out. When states up it will hover right about 2000 then slowly drop and finally get to the point to were it just wants to shut itself off you can just smell gas and it blows the white smoke and will stop after you start to accelerate. As you can tell I'm lost would just love to get the car back on the road any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

First off, to me it says head gasket. Coolant coming out and burning causes the white smoke. Low compressionon Cyl 1 also points to HG. If there is coolant in a cylinder, it will cause your misfire as well. It happens on the 94 and early 95s.

Clogged cat... maybe, can't tell from here... but be aware there are 4 (2 precats and 2 main cats).
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Head gasket
Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 AM
BioGeek13

though the 94-95's were known for having a weakness on the intake side of the heads due to shallow bolt holes causing the gaskets to leak. In reading your problem I wondered if it was a timing issue. possibly a bad spot in the crank sensor, or on the gear teeth on the drive pulley giving a false reading. that could give you a bad burn and cause the cat to plug.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Sounds more like a head gasket issue to me. I don't think I've come across an early SN95 V6 Mustang that hasn't had one done yet, that's how likely they are to fail.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Rocket62

Thanks for the advice I will have to have it checked I was also told to replace the throttle positioning sensor and did so and it brought the idle steady still just have that lack of power looms like I'm going to have to tear deeper into this to resolve thus problem!