V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 PM
FCMustang

Default Overheating issues

I've got a 95 v6 mustang that is constantly overheating. I've already replaced the thermostat, water pump, and cooling fan. My original cooling fan died so I have a temporary replacement until I can afford the oem one with the shroud. On top of the overheating, I got a check engine light and checked the codes and found out that the car is misfiring one cylinder. I found out there was a vacuum line very loose, replaced the hose and connecter and it went back to normal. When I replaced those things on it, the car ran fine for a couple days and then went right back to overheating and showing symptoms of misfire. Now every time I drive, even if just for a mile or two, the car overheats and water and coolant come blasting out of the cap. There are no leaks whatsoever, it just forces itself out of the cap and starts to smoke.

I took it to a friend who repairs cars and he seems to think that it's because I don't have a fan shroud on it. I have no idea what it could be because i'm not actually mechanically savvy. I can do work on it by using my repair manual but when it comes to diagnosing, i'm a bit of an amateur.

Now I need to make the decision of trying to narrow down the problem and replacing the part(s) myself or just taking it to a mechanic. The decision relies heavily on time and money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Headgasket has gone Kaput! Is there oil in your coolent, or coolent in your oil? Either way the HG is fried and needs to be replaced.

Matthew
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Stang562
4th Gear Member

yup! Sound like you blew the infamous headgasket.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 PM
FCMustang

How sure are you? There's no mixture of fluids at all. There's no water/coolant in the oil and vice versa. There's no coolant coming out of the spark plug ports. I just freaking replaced the head gasket like a month ago when I got the heads redone. At this point I think I want to place some explosives in this car and blow it to kingdom come.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If you're fan is missing the shroud it can cause a overheating issue. With it missing air is drawn into the fan from the sides, instead of being pulled through the radiator. Also you're radiator could be clogged with buildup and not cooling properly. But these things would not cause your misfire problem. Like others have said, it could be bad head gasket.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 07-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I know its a headgasket because ALL, let me repeat, ALL 94-95 and some 96 3.8 V6 Mustang WILL blow their headgaskets. They were put on wrong in the factory and will only last so long. Normal is about 100,000 to 120,000 miles before they go.

Matthew
Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
FCMustang

They put the head gaskets on wrong? If you don't mind my asking, could you elaborate? I'm extremely pissed at this car right now. I have a job interview in the morning and it looks like i'm riding public transporting + walking in 102 degree weather.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
FCMustang

Hmm, why can you edit tags on this forum but you can't edit your actual post o.O.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

You can edit your posts but I think you have to have a certin about of posts first. As for the head gaskets - they were ALL installed backwards so the cooling passages do not line up fully. If you dont see any oil in the coolent, or coolent in your oil you could have an air bubble caught in the cooling system, a bad thermostat, or a bad rad cap. I had to replace my rad cap a few months ago because it was releasing all the coolent when it got to a certin temp and causing the cooling system not to pressurize. But my money is still on the HG.

Matthew
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
jlc41
2nd Gear Member

subscribed

Quick Reply: Overheating issues