V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Electrical problem or fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Biggwigglystyle

Post Electrical problem or fuel problem?

Here lately when I'll get into 2nd gear around 4000 rpms my car will choke down and make a kind of tink noise. When I'm in third it does the same thing around 3500 rpms and in 4th it does the same around 3000. I've replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, coil pack and fuel filter. Theses changes haven't done anything for it, it seems like I have no horsepower anymore.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Biggwigglystyle

Never can get a reply or a word from anyone on here, seems no one knows what's wrong with this thing.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Biggwigglystyle

Engine light came on today, scanned it again, random missfire code? Not sure what that means, Im guessing my one of my new plugs needs to be changed again?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biggwigglystyle
Never can get a reply or a word from anyone on here, seems no one knows what's wrong with this thing.
You have to wait longer then 17 minutes. People do have lives ya know. :-) Like the old Ketchup commercials used to say "Good things come to those who wait".

Originally Posted by Biggwigglystyle
Engine light came on today, scanned it again, random missfire code? Not sure what that means, Im guessing my one of my new plugs needs to be changed again?
What was the exact code? If its a random misfire it would indicate an electrical problem, most likely. Could be a bad coil pack, bad alternator, bad fuel injector circuit, bad Crank Position Sensor... Could also be a loose/worn/damaged serpentine belt. If the belt can't spin the alternator to the proper speed, the alternator won't produce enough juice and you can get misfires or other weird electrical issues.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

other issues are bad connection to the regulator on the alternator.
Torn diaphram on the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail.
Computer control circuit for the fuel pump in the trunk.
mass air flow sensor
intake air temp sensor
o2 sensors
etc...

we're gona need more info.

with an issue like this you must eliminate issues one at a time until you find the bad apple.

How many miles on the car? How is the car driven? (fast, slow, hard high revving?) does it only have a issue on high load circumstances? what kinda of tools do you have access to?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Biggwigglystyle

Default Thanks!

Thank you for responding, I do now realize that people have lives.. hahah. Tomorrow I am to replace my spark plugs, I was told that bosh plugs have problems with fords. thinking about getting some motorcrafts, does anyone know of anything else that is good? p.s. the plugs seem to have a lot to do with the problems that i've been having. I replaced several components of the electrical system and none have seemed to work. I appreciate all responses. thanks, Charles.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:26 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

bosch plugs are complete trash. get motorcraft or autolites, they work well. i prefer NGK but that's cause my car eats other plugs like candy and the NGK seem to be able to hold up better than the others for me.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Biggwigglystyle

Default Didn't Help.

I put the new plugs in my car and it didn't help at all. It's very hard to know what I need to do right now. I usually drive it medium hard, mainly town miles (104000), I really am wondering whether i should get my cats removed and see if that helps. I really want it to run right again, it's beginning to make me mad, It's doing that same thing. When i get around 3500 it like maxes out and wont go any high without shuttering. the scanner shows good fuel pressure and it showing miss fire codes po430, po316, po300, po305, and po306. These may have been set off because i had the plug wires hooked in the incorrect order. Just let me know. Thanks, Charles.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Biggwigglystyle

I also have access to all types of tools, my dad is a mechanic (diesel).
Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Biggwigglystyle

Just thought about it, my engine light flashes when this happens, isn't this "limp mode"? I've heard alot about this and im pretty sure i should get my cats either replaced or taken out?

Quick Reply: Electrical problem or fuel problem?