V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2002 Convertible Heated Rear Window Installation

Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

Default 2002 Convertible Heated Rear Window Installation

All

2002 V6 Convertible Mustang.

I recently bought the Replacement Convertible Heated Rear Window from AmericanMuscle. My car has a leak in the material attaching to the glass and I had no luck in patching it so I decided to replace it. I love their products and the speed with which they deliver. However, I'm having a big problem right now.

I've run into the fact that this product has no installation instructions what-so-ever, which is understandable. I can't find instructions for this anywhere on the net either. I see that it's a difficult fix, but I'm determined to do it myself with a little bit of direction. This is my primary vehicle so it's something that if I start early on a Saturday morning, I must have done by Sunday night. Hence, I don't want to go ripping things apart exploring, only to have to put everything back together without getting any progress.

Some of my questions include:
1. What tools/materials are required?
2. Do I need to remove the whole top?
3. Where do I begin?

Any guidance from someone who has done this before would be greatly appreciated.

I look through the forum in several places and couldn't find what I was looking for. So I decided to post here.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
slonison
1st Gear Member

So I just got an estimate.

Even though I have the part, I'm looking at $600 in labor alone. I really would rather not take such a hit.

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
slonison
1st Gear Member

So, I will be attempting this, this weekend. I will be taking pictures all along the way and will post a walkthrough with whatever I find. Hopefully, I can help out some other people who buy/need to replace the same part. Stay tuned!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

After a long 3 day weekend...

This is where I landed. I will be posting the walkthrough as soon as I sift through the better of the 100+ images I took. Besides a few wrinkles, I'm satisfied.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I always thought they were plexiglass or something.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

Full-on glass man...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
GreggBig
1st Gear Member

The first photo looks good. Replacing the top on my son's 2001 this week. Send more pics.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

Gregg, I will try to post the walkthrough tonight. That being said. There are a few wrinkles in mine, but to be honest I was so wiped out and tired from installing and not knowing what I was doing that I didn't care.

You CAN make this look stock if you have the tools and patience.

I will be redoing mine as summer weather gets closer. Check back tomorrow for a walkthrough.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Omniflux

Any chance of an update on this walkthrough, or at least the pics so I know what I'm getting myself into?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

If you can get your hands on the factory manual. There is a very detailed set of instructions. I had to replace a latch recently and followed the instructions for removing and replacing the top, you have to peel it and the headliner back then replace. Actually went quite smoothly.

biggest problem was the #10 torx screws that hold the strip on the front of the top. They were all stuck. broke two screwdrivers. Ended up breaking them loose with a small pair of vice grips. and that was after soaking with penetrating oil.

One other thing, the top is stapled at the front and the plastic strip was brittle. I went a little thicker but finding those short staples is a pain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Convertible Heated Rear Window Installation